Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Bearification of Cardianl Newman
9 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 12:17AM #11
jane2
rjak

Interesting retrospective.

Actually I was introduced to Newman in an English Lit course--surprise, surprise.;) I couldn't tell you know what we studied--it was almost fifty years ago. I do remember being fond of his lucidity.

Sometime ago I printed ourt the words to his Lead Kindly Light for a neighbor in my 4-plex condo unit because I thought she would like it.
(I googled it.) The flowers in my present avatar are hers. She is ten years my senior and an Alabama Baptist but we talk faith easily. A former Catholic pastor of mine might call it a Divine Appointment. Her husband is a holy tartar and I'm the comic relief.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 12:55PM #12
Whisperingal
And the college Newman Clubs are great places to um.....meet like-minded people.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 12:55PM #13
Whisperingal
And the college Newman Clubs are great places to um.....meet like-minded people.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 8:46PM #14
Kirney
I'm happy to hear this as well. I'm quite fond of Newman. :)

Actually I was introduced to Newman in an English Lit course

It makes me smile that you remember him from your course. :) I used to teach English Lit. for grade 11 and we had a couple of selections in there from Newman. No one really liked it or cared, and I have serious doubts that a single one of them remembers him unfortunately. :( I just wasn't able to get anyone excited about him. In fact, if I remember correctly, the only thing they had to say about him was that he looked like a girl in his picture in the book. *sigh*

Still, most folks aren't terribly interested in religious or academic writings at that age, so their reaction wasn't surprising or anything. The book annoyed me a lot more than they did. I taught at a private school with a "Christian-based" curriculum. Our books all came from Bob Jones University or A Beka, and neither of those companies are too keen on the Church. Our book said that Newman converted because he couldn't resolve his doubts, and that he wrote Apologia Pro Vita Sua to defend his conversion to "Romanism." My teacher's book said to be sure to point out when teaching about him that his most beloved work, "Lead Kindly Light," was written while he was still a Protestant. It was kind of frustrating.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 11:13PM #15
jane2

Kirney wrote:

I'm happy to hear this as well. I'm quite fond of Newman. :)

It makes me smile that you remember him from your course. :) I used to teach English Lit. for grade 11 and we had a couple of selections in there from Newman. No one really liked it or cared, and I have serious doubts that a single one of them remembers him unfortunately. :( I just wasn't able to get anyone excited about him. In fact, if I remember correctly, the only thing they had to say about him was that he looked like a girl in his picture in the book. *sigh*

Still, most folks aren't terribly interested in religious or academic writings at that age, so their reaction wasn't surprising or anything. The book annoyed me a lot more than they did. I taught at a private school with a "Christian-based" curriculum. Our books all came from Bob Jones University or A Beka, and neither of those companies are too keen on the Church. Our book said that Newman converted because he couldn't resolve his doubts, and that he wrote Apologia Pro Vita Sua to defend his conversion to "Romanism." My teacher's book said to be sure to point out when teaching about him that his most beloved work, "Lead Kindly Light," was written while he was still a Protestant. It was kind of frustrating.

There is a bit of irony here. ;)

The course I was referring to was a college course, a 300 level.  Some here know my B.A. is in English Lit. I attended Catholic college but lit courses were not taught from a religious point of view. Actually I was introduced to Newman in high school, again from a literary point of view.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 6:14PM #16
ConanTheLibrarian
I am rather surprised that Benedict would take up the cause of Cardinal Newman. I have some British Catholic friends who said that in some circles it is believed that Newman was a sexually active gay man.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2009 - 12:31AM #17
fishylishy

Jul 17, 2008 -- 1:40AM, jane2 wrote:

It seems Rome is going forward with the Bearification of John Henry Cardianl Newman, a great favorite of mine. Newman, with fine reasoning, was at great odds with Pius IX about so called modernism and papal infallibility. He was a fine propenent of sensus fidelium in the broader sense, with which I agree. The Benedict papacy is a back and forth enigma. It fascinates me. Any thoughts on this development or on Benedict? (ps. most of the threads here have been done to death ;))................ Do your own homework.......info is so easy to find.....:)

## More Beariness here:

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 06, 2009 - 1:28PM #18
fishylishy

Jul 17, 2008 -- 1:40AM, jane2 wrote:

It seems Rome is going forward with the Bearification of John Henry Cardianl Newman, a great favorite of mine. Newman, with fine reasoning, was at great odds with Pius IX about so called modernism and papal infallibility. He was a fine propenent of sensus fidelium in the broader sense, with which I agree. The Benedict papacy is a back and forth enigma. It fascinates me. Any thoughts on this development or on Benedict? (ps. most of the threads here have been done to death ;))................ Do your own homework.......info is so easy to find.....:)

## Like this ? 

rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Teddy%20Bear%20...

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15004927/

www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headlin...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook