Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Stealing the Sacred and the Ridicule that Ensues
9 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2008 - 8:12PM #21
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]It was moved here (not by me :-) from "Discuss Catholicism" because there is already an ongoing thread on this topic on "Discuss Catholicism."   Now y'all have one :-)

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Discuss Catholicism

[/COLOR]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2008 - 3:02PM #22
Shaner
Hello,

It was originally moved to the "Welcome Catholicism Forum", but that wasn't the proper venue for it.....I couldn't move it to the Cafe Forum because there was already a Topic on it there, so I moved it here, to the Retreat House.

No harm done! :)

Sandy
Beliefnet Community Host
Retreat House Forum
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 4:36PM #23
etsryan
[QUOTE=davelaw40;623518]Judas had already left[/QUOTE]

Judas left, but he did receive the Body of Christ before he did.
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
e.t./sue ><:> *:D (: + 
Yesh!  www.muttscomics.com
www.chesterton.org
American Chesterton Society Conference-usually in St Paul, MN Mid-June, but the 2009 Conference is scheduled Aug. 6-8 in Seattle, WA - you go, West Coast...
Some of what Gilbert K. Chesterton says:
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"I agree with the realistic Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy after the event."  (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you."
"If there were no God, there would be no atheists."
"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God."
"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."
"You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution."
"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
"There are some desires that are not desirable."
"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."
"Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man."
"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 4:40PM #24
etsryan
[QUOTE=Shaner;629204]Hello,

It was originally moved to the "Welcome Catholicism Forum", but that wasn't the proper venue for it.....I couldn't move it to the Cafe Forum because there was already a Topic on it there, so I moved it here, to the Retreat House.

No harm done! :)

Sandy
Beliefnet Community Host
Retreat House Forum[/QUOTE]

i posted the discussion on the news board because i wanted more feedback from others - not just Catholics.  This involves a campus, a state university professor, the internet, the police, the courts and the church and the student government.  It isn't just a Catholic issue.  Since the topic is already on the boards this thread is being moved to, why not leave it where it was?  The US NEWS AND POLITICS forum isn't just for politics.  This conflict involving religious practice is NEWS.  Intolerance is a societal/public policy/community issue.  Why not leave the discussion where it really belongs imhho.
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
www.chesterton.org
American Chesterton Society Conference-usually in St Paul, MN Mid-June, but the 2009 Conference is scheduled Aug. 6-8 in Seattle, WA - you go, West Coast...
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"I agree with the realistic Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy after the event."  (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you."
"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."
"You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution."
"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
"Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 4:48PM #25
etsryan
[QUOTE=MarySara722;623749]******************

While this may be some news to some people, it's news that pertains to Catholics.

Ergo the "nature" of the news is better suited for the Catholic Discussion/Debate Board.

Especially when the posts start discussing all things "Jesus" which is not what
the US News/Politics Board is for.

So this thread will be moved to that board.

Thank you,
MSara
USN/P Board Co-Host

****************[/QUOTE]

in the light of faith or should it be called UNBELIEFnet?  This story is ultimately about tolerance and community standards.  What is considered a crime?  How are various campus groups funded?  How does one go about learning about a church/faith community without getting into controversy/the court system?  Narrowing this to just a debate about the Real Presence of Jesus in Eucharist is not what this great website is known for.  Give a break and leave news threads on the news forum please.  When there are links to news stories given on the thread and multifaith posts, putting it into a purely Catholic forum is not appropriate imhho.  Things that involve Catholicism are in the news.  I can post a thread on the Catholic boards, too, on similar topics, but often I prefer to get the whole community's feedback - not just my own faith community's - which I already understand and know pretty much.  So how about leaving this where it was in the first place?  and letting folks of faith post their free speech as well without being relegated to a non mainstream forum on this site?
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
www.chesterton.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2008 - 1:16AM #26
etsryan
[QUOTE=delmarvamom;623495]The professor that called the "host" a "frackin' cracker" is expressing his beliefs and though I can see the offense in his words, I do not think it is such a big deal.

Catholics cannot be surprised that this outspoken atheist does not recognize the wafer as the body of Christ.   As a Christian, I am not surprised that others do not find meaning in the rituals and practices of the church.  I would certainly prefer they show respect for others beliefs by staying silent.  We cannot let the words of others burn like fire.[/QUOTE]

funny how many outspoken atheists/non catholics/non Christians spend the majority (?) of their time putting down others' beliefs instead of extolling the virtues of their own.  I find many of the opinions of many of these folks to be negative and intolerant rather than positive about their own beliefs.  Reactionary in other words.  If the church didn't exist some of these folks wouldn't know what to do with themselves it seems to me.  I think they would be very bored.
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
www.chesterton.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 3:09PM #27
fishylishy

Jul 13, 2008 -- 5:14PM, etsryan wrote:

Regardless of whether you believe in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist/Blessed Sacrament or not, the act and the words of the blogger for me are intolerance to the max. It is a serious matter and the news reports don't have it all correct when the terms are messed up and the theology as well. For faithful Catholics, the consecration/transubstantiation that occurs during Mass is not a 'sympol' but the real deal. Read the Gospel of John Chapter 6. Jesus says to do this in remembrance of Me. He says this IS MY BODY and THIS IS MY BLOOD. I am the LIVING BREAD come down from Heaven. My Flesh is real food and My Blood is real drink. For some evidence of scientific proof check this out: http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst … ciano.html You can choose not to believe this, but for those who do, the act of stealing a Host (a consecrated altar bread) - which for faithful Catholics truly is the Body of Christ - and no - "cracker" or "wafer" aren't the correct terms unless you like to minimize others' beliefs and not use the terms preferred/requested by the religion/people you may be bashing - is a sacrilege/great offense. Consider what would offend your (religious) sensibilities and respond accordingly - if someone were doing one of the worst things to what you hold sacred. Then you might have an idea of the gravity of this here. I don't agree with death threats to the person who did this. I believe this happens more often than gets reported. I believe some do not realize the seriousness of the offense, while others enjoy making sport of a serious matter - possibly out of ignorance, possibly out of malice. I pray for mercy either way. http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/fa … ber+Center http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages … 1.1&sflg=1 http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008 … racker.php Please. When visiting a place of worship, try to respect the community there and don't do things that cause scandal. If you aren't sure, please ask. If this isn't your 'cup of tea', well, maybe don't visit there in the first place then.

## There is no such thing as scientific proof of a dogma, & if I had my way, I would flush all these lying "miracles" down the thunder-box PDQ & ASAP. Faith is faith - what it believes, cannot be proved. A faith that can be proved to be true is worthless; & that is being polite. Christian faith cannot be proved - you might as well "prove" the existence of the Holy Spirit by providing a photo of his wings, a tail-feather, & a DNA sample. This kind of rationalistitic filth is the death of faith. :(   

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook