Switch to Forum Live View Can't get it out of you mind
6 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2007 - 1:34PM #1
anged
There are things that you see in life that you just can't get out of your head.  Sometimes you participate, sometimes you see it.  I'm curious about your stories, and if the things you witness changed your life in any way.

Here is one of mine:
I was driving in downtown San Diego with  my kids in the back seat.  We were late and lost (as usual).  I was stopped at a signal when a lady on the other side of the street crossed in the crosswalk.  She was clearly homeless and probably a bit unbalanced.  She had her worldly possessions in 4 broken down cardboard boxes.  She crossed the street by moving a box into the next lane, going back and getting the next box, putting it in the lane, getting the next...It was taking her a long time to cross the street and she ran out of time on the signal.  A man in a truck began honking at her.  She was rushing but inefficient and the cars were waiting.  After laying on the horn again, the truck waited until she was bodily out of the lane, and then ran over her boxes.  They exploded and dragged her clothes into the street.  He cussed at her, she yelled back.  She got on the curb and waited for the signal before picking up her things.  I crossed and made a uturn - thought about helping her.  When I got back she had her things and was repacking them.  I did not stop and offer a kind word or help this woman, as there was nowhere to stop and I felt a bit fearful for my kids because of her mental state.  I think of that incident all the time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2007 - 1:35PM #2
anged
Oops- sorry for the typo in the title of this thread.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2007 - 3:07PM #3
rmatth
We should not forget to entertain strangers, lest we entertain angels unaware. Hebrews 13:2

Sometimes strangers are angels, sometimes they're sick people. I think you were right to think of your children first. We can always say a prayer, find out it there's a soup kitchen or rescue mission in the area and offer support there.

My experience like that, one I'll never forget, I got off the interstate at my exit and a couple was there standing next to their old broken down car. They needed an alternator, and maybe some food and water. I stopped and talked to them, found out what they needed and told them I'd be right back with some help. I went across the overpass to a pay phone (quaint concept in these days of cellulars...), called my church about getting some money from our emergency fund or the vicar's discretionary fund. Our priest said get them what they needed and he'd reimburse me. I went back to where they'd been parked and no one was there. I wasn't gone 5 minutes and this car that had its hood up and parts on the ground and the couple were gone. I've always wondered if they were angels.

I know...I'm weird.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook