Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Advent Lessons and Carols
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 1:55PM #1
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]Anybody's parish do this?  Anybody regularly attend this service?

I love it.  It's among my favorite liturgies, and I find it to be a lovely Advent meditation, as well as a lovely way to usher in the new liturgical year.

My congregation has it every year, so I go regularly.  The Catholic parish nearest me also has a Lessons and Carols service, so I try to go to that one, too.[/COLOR]
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 2:13PM #2
rmatth
The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols is a format of Christian worship service celebrating the birth of Jesus and traditionally followed at Christmas. The story of the fall of humanity, the promise of the Messiah, and the birth of Jesus is told in nine short Bible readings, interspersed with the singing of Christmas carols and hymns.

The format was based on an Order drawn up by E.W. Benson, later Archbishop of Canterbury, for Christmas Eve 1880 in Truro. It has since been adapted and used by other churches all over the world. In the UK, the service has become the standard format for schools' Christmas carol services.

The most famous version is broadcast annually from King's College, Cambridge on Christmas Eve featuring carols by the famous Choir.

Lessons and Carols usually only occur in Anglican churches, although some Catholic and Lutheran parishes and institutions have also adopted the service.

http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/chapel/ninel … index.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 2:34PM #3
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]There's a brief order of service in the Book of Occasional Services.  The BOS likewise has an order of service for Christmas Lessons and Carols.  My parish does the latter, as well, on Christmas Eve.[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 3:03PM #4
rmatth
http://www.msgr.ca/msgr-2/DVA_Advent_Festival.htm

Above is an example of the order of service for Advent carols & readings.

Come Though Long Expected Jesus is one of my favorite carols.

Come, Thou long expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us,
Let us find our rest in Thee.
Israel’s Strength and Consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear Desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King,
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 4:01PM #5
journeying
Christ Church does the full Nine Lessons and Carols every year on the 3rd Sunday of Advent.  When I get the details, I'll post them.  It is hard on the choir as we usually sing 9 anthems and 10 hymns and we only have 10 in the choir if we are lucky.  We usually have a rent-a-tenor from the Presbys who enjoys doing it as they don't.

Shel
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 4:14PM #6
runninrev
Hello: Been gone a while. We did Lessons and Carols for a number of years. We are so small everyone gets to participate. As part of the program, we ask each person to add a carol at the end of the service, and keep going until everyone has a chance or chances. Thsi year we are doing a joint service with the RC's. we are using there church as part of an outreach service in the next county. Thsi will be our first joing effort. Must admit, it is a bit strange for me as a former RC. Godspeed. Vince
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 8:23PM #7
JoanTreese
I love Lessons & Carols.  We have it in the evening of the 3rd. Sunday in Advent.  We are blessed to have an extremely talented choir director/organist and a wonderful choir.  Just when the madness of the "season" gets to be too much, it's a wonderful way to sit back, relax, meditate and remember the "real reason for the season.":)
Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 10:17PM #8
artemis01
Wow, it's a great idea to get together with other churches to do Lessons & Carols - especially churches who don't ordinarily do it.  Spread Advent around, I always say!

We're having a service of Lessons & Carols, and our Gregorian Schola will be singing the Great O Antiphons.  Don't know what else there will be - the usual hymns and a few anthems, I'd guess, which one of the other choirs will sing -  but I am really looking forward to it.

Advent is my favorite season; can't believe it's here already!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 11:56PM #9
journeying
This isn't complete or proofread yet as you will notice but it has the music and gives you some idea of what we do every year with different music and occasionally different readings.  The readings are given by the laity with the last by whatever priest happens to be there.
A Festival of Lessons and Carols - 2007 - Christ Church
ORGAN VOLUNTARY
    Variations on a Theme of Samuel Scheidt    Rebecca Groom te Velde
PROCESSIONAL HYMN:  Once in royal David’s city   (Irby)
v. 1:  solo  vv. 2-6:  Choir & Congregation
THE BIDDING PRAYER
INVITATORY HYMN  56 (vv. 1, 3, 5, 7)       (Veni Emmanuel)
FIRST LESSON:  Genesis 3
    CHOIR:  Adam Lay Ybounden          arr. William Witherup
    HYMN  195                  (God Rest You Merry)
SECOND LESSON:  Isaiah 9
    CHOIR:  People, Look East (Besançon carol)         Malcolm Archer
    HYMN  66                      (Stuttgart)
THIRD LESSON:  Isaiah 11
    CHOIR:  Thou Shalt Know Him            Mark Sirett
    HYMN  90 (vv. 1, 2, 4)            (Noel)
FOURTH LESSON:  Micah 5
    CHOIR:  O Bethlehem (Basque carol)           Jose Antonio de Donostia
    HYMN  78 (vv. 1, 3, 5)             (Forest Green)
FIFTH  LESSON:  St. Luke 1
    CHOIR:  The Holly and the Ivy (English carol)           arr. William Witherup
    HYMN  265                   (Gabriel’s Message)
SIXTH LESSON:  St. Luke 2
    CHOIR:  Mary’s Cradle Song               Max Reger/Paul Keene
    HYMN  100                 (Antioch)
SEVENTH LESSON:  St. Luke 2
    CHOIR:  Torches (Words from a Galician carol)        John Joubert
    HYMN  96 (vv. 1-3)            (Gloria)
EIGHTH LESSON:  St. Matthew 2
    CHOIR:  Far Away, What Splendor Comes This Way?    J. Lully/G. Bizet/Keyte & Parrott
    HYMN  109 (vv. 1, 2, 3, 5)          (The First Nowell)
NINTH LESSON:  St. John 1
    CHOIR:  I Saw Three Ships (English carol)            Donald Hustad
    HYMN  83 (vv. 1, 3, 6)               (Adeste fideles)
THE COLLECT & THE BLESSING
RECESSIONAL HYMN  87              (Mendelssohn)
ORGAN VOLUNTARY
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 1:11AM #10
Merope
[COLOR="Navy"]Interesting that some parishes have the service on 3 Advent.  I'm used to it on 1 Advent; well, I count on it there as part of my Advent beginning. 

Does anybody's service include the "Rorate caeli?"  Ours doesn't, but it's the processional chant for 1 Advent, so it's there :-)  I love this chant.  [/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook