Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Catholic Men Question
10 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2007 - 7:26PM #1
Mareczku
I don't know if this is the right place but the Catholic Men area is gone.  My son used to go to a Site for Catholic teens.  They had a priest that gave advice.  I had a question for the men and wonder if they know.  Do cold showers really keep guys from having orgasms (right word)?  According to the priest if you take a lot of cold showers you will stay pure. Is this true?  Also he said that guys should go to bed with  a Rosary because then they will stay pure. I guess doing this is supposed to keep you from having orgasms and you won't release semen.  I don't quite understand how going to bed with a Rosary will keep a guy physically pure.  According to the priest guys not only need to stay a virgin until they get married but must not spill their semen.  I think this is asking a lot.   I guess if guys fast enough their bodies will stop producing semen and they can stay pure but I don't think this is healthy for young guys.  Have any of the guys heard any of this stuff.  What is your take on it?  I think some in the Catholic Church tend to be overly strict about these matters.  I got a pamphet about "Understanding Adolescence" at my parish and it said that masturbation and wet dreams are both normal, harmless occurrences.  It said that masturbation is common, entirely normal, and not harmful in any way.  But on the Catholic teen site the priest said that guys are to stay physically pure (no release of semen) until they are married so these are really mixed messages.  Thanks for the input.

MARECZKU
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2007 - 8:09PM #2
Prajna
Umm, I really don't if this is the spot for this but I'll respond. 

No taking cold showers just sends a shock to the nervous system.  Yes it would stop someone only by distracting the blood flow, nerves, and the entire body from the gential area. 

"Physically pure" sounds a little Aryian to me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2007 - 9:45PM #3
Mareczku
Hi Prajna:  Physical purity means that a guy is not only a virgin but he doesn't do self-gratification or have wet dreams.  One guy on another site said that some kids have wet dreams but after a guy is 18 or 19 your body changes and you don't need the release but I don't know if this is true for most guys.  I know that wet dreams are not a sin.  I think self-gratification is a venial sin but some Catholics think it is a grave disorder.  I don't think it is a disorder and don't think it is good to tell kids this because it could make them think that something is wrong with them.  The Church teaches that guys should try to attain physical purity through self-mastery.  (Whatever that means!) 

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 8:38AM #4
Shaner
Physical purity means that a guy is not only a virgin but he doesn't do self-gratification or have wet dreams

Mare,

Wet Dreams or Nocturnal Emissions as they're also called are a perfectly normal biological function of the male body.  They have absolutely NOTHING to do with purity......nothing!

As such, they are NOT a sin.

Peace,
Sandy
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 8:49AM #5
newsjunkie
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 1:34PM #6
Mareczku
Hi Sandy:  I know that wet dreams are not a sin.  I never thought they were.  When I was a teen and had them though I knew that I was impure.  How can you be pure when you are hiding dirty underwear.  I was embarrassed and ashamed because I soiled myself and I was impure (though not sinful).  No one ever explained this to me and I didn't know what was wrong with me.  I was too embarrassed to talk to a doctor about it.  We didn't have sex ed in health until I was in 12th grade.  I didn't even know what masturbation is much less do it.  I went to a Catholic school and wet dreams and masturbation were not considered appropriate topics for kids.  My older brother went to public school and they covered all this when he was in 10th grade. From what I've read some people get wet dreams and some people don't and I was just unlucky. I talked to a guy who was 26 and he said that he never had a wet dream.  I don't actually know what percentage of guys get them.  I do think that doctors or nurses should go to Catholic schools and talk to kids about this stuff.  Masturbation and wet dreams are normal and kids shouldn't be made to feel guilty about them. 

PEACE - MARK
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 1:37PM #7
Mareczku
Hi Sandy:  I know that wet dreams are not a sin.  I never thought that they were.  However when I was a teenager and was hiding dirty underwear I knew that I was not pure.  How can you be physically pure if you soil yourself?  No one ever explained this to me when I was a teen.  I felt embarrassed and ashamed and felt like something was wrong with me.  I knew that I was impure (but NOT sinful) but didn't know why and didn't know what was wrong with me.  I was too embarrassed to ask the doctor.  I didn't have sex ed in health until I was in the 12th grade.  I didn't even know what masturbation was much less do it.  I went to Catholic school and topics like wet dreams and masturbation were not considered appropriate.  In truth they should have doctors or nurses talk to the kids in Catholic schools about this and tell them that they are normal parts of being a teen.  Kids should not be give
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 6:31PM #8
Mareczku
Sorry about that second post folks.  It was actually my first post but it disappeared.  I guess somehow it showed up anyway.   I hope that what I wrote made sense. 

Peace to you all - Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 6:49PM #9
WaveringCC

Mareczku wrote:

I don't know if this is the right place but the Catholic Men area is gone.  My son used to go to a Site for Catholic teens.  They had a priest that gave advice. 
MARECZKU

Since this priest doesn't seem to have even a basic understanding of biology, it's probably just as well that your son no longer is getting "advice" from him!

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2007 - 7:03PM #10
rjak134
Interestingly, I'm working on a senior thesis right now about the Desert Fathers, and the status of nocturnal emissions was the subject of a rather major debate among these earliest Christian monks.  The ultimate conclusion of the debate was that, because nocturnal emissions are not an act of will, but are involuntary, they are not sinful.

Masturbation, by contrast, is a whole nother matter.  Deliberate self-gratification is a sin, and has always been taught to be so by the Church.  I recommend looking at the Catechism on this matter, because what it says is quite balanced.  Essentially, although masturbation is a sin, the degree of culpability & gravity must be evaluated in terms of the maturity of the person, whether a habit has been formed, etc. - ie there are mitigating factors.

We must understand and hold firm, though, that masturbation is sinful, because it is the deliberate enjoyment of sexuality outside of the proper moral context (ie marriage).  Further, the gift of sexuality is at its essence about two things - procreation and unity with the beloved.  Sex within marriage (w/o contraception, naturally) accomplishes both these things.  Masturbation accomplishes neither.  It is, therefore, clearly in violation of the natural law.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook