Switch to Forum Live View Thanksgiving Services
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 8:52AM #1
tawonda
Is your church going to have, or participate in, a Thanksgiving service? If so, what does that usually look like?

My congregation is participating in an ecumenical community service the evening before Thanksgiving...standard format and hymns, with refreshments afterward. I will not be attending -- between our 11 (and possibly counting) guests, 14-pound turkey and menu plan, we will be COOKING all evening!  I'll hum Nun danket alle Gott as I'm chopping my veggies.;-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 1:33PM #2
Sakhaiva
We are having a Thanksgiving day service - I'm not cooking any turkeys the next day (I only bring wine and pumpkin cheesecake to the thankksgiving feast) so I'm free to take the kids.   I believe it will be a 'standard church service' (the alter looks lovely btw) that is open to the neighborhood....

and after the service, we are having pie.   Gotta like that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 2:32PM #3
LutherMan
Most of the LCMS parishes here in my neck of the woods do Wed. evening svcs.  I have to drive 17 miles to go to a Thurs. 9 AM service.  It will probably be Matins.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 8:17PM #4
DonTheNorski
We'll be having a 10 am joint service with the Roman Catholic parish that adjoins our church's property. There's a tall evergreen hedge between the two.  But!  There's holes in the hedge!  And, even handrails and graveled walkways with steps!

We've been doing this for many years. The congregations have a very close relationship. The choirs join for this and other occasions, and give special performances of major works together.

We use their sanctuary because it is larger. The offering envelopes are color coded, with ours going to fight hunger. Between the two congregations, we have a SRO crowd for the service.

What is interesting is as often as not, our associate pastor, a female, gives the sermon. They'll allow that.  But they say we must cross back over the hedge when it is time for the Eucharist.

And then, I'll be heading to my brothers, about 45 miles away, for dinner about 4:00 pm.  My son should be dropped off there by his mom just in time for dessert, after his joining her family's dinner.

I even helped Mama make the lefse!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 6:51AM #5
tawonda
I love lefse. Too bad Lootern culture here on the eastern side of Michigan tend to be heavily weighted toward the German ...I haven't had lefse since I was in college. (My ethnic contribution to Thanksgiving this year is German sweet-and-sour green beans with bacon.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 11:06PM #6
longtimelutheran
Our local ELCA Lutheran community of three churches held a combined T-giving worship/communion service this evening.  This was the third year the joint services have been held -- each of the pastors, an intern and an Associate in Ministry participated, the choir was made up of members of the three choirs (practice was before the service), and the church was full despite some nasty weather outside.  It really was nice and a chance to visit with friends from the other churches at the coffee/cookie time afterward. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2007 - 11:06PM #7
longtimelutheran
Our local ELCA Lutheran community of three churches held a combined T-giving worship/communion service this evening.  This was the third year the joint services have been held -- each of the pastors, an intern and an Associate in Ministry participated, the choir was made up of members of the three choirs (practice was before the service), and the church was full despite some nasty weather outside.  It really was nice and a chance to visit with friends from the other churches at the coffee/cookie time afterward. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2007 - 8:37AM #8
tawonda
I'm taking a break from cooking (we double-timed last night and this morning and have everything done or cooking except the mashed potatoes!), and procrastinating cleaning...Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Here's our menu -- feel free to enjoy virtually!

turkey (locally raised) with apple-herb stuffing
relish trays
cranberry sauce
mashed potatoes
roasted winter veggies (butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnips, turnips, celery, garlic, onion)
escalloped tomatoes au gratin
German sweet-sour green beans with bacon
rolls
sweet potato pecan pie
Amish fruit pies
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook