7 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2007 - 11:09PM #1
jeanette1
Does anyone understand why Grace Cathedral in S.F finds it necessary to "include" people of other faiths during the Eucharistic Prayer? I can certainly understand praying for all peoples of all faiths in an Ecumenical way during the Prayers of the People but why the words when the Eucharistic bread is broken, words similar to the following  ‘We break this bread for our ancestors in the Jewish faith, our brothers and sisters in Islam, our friends who are Buddhists etc"……???

Some of the "new liturgies" are very bothersome and that is one of the many problems that face us today. (imo)
There is no connection  with the saints before us.(I'm sure they wouldn't recognize any of  what we do to be Anglican)..Who are we to be including people of other faith groups" into our "eating the flesh and drinking the blood "of Christ? Have they been asked if it's ok to do this? Who are we to assume on their behalf that it's ok? I'm sure our friends of the Muslim and Jewish faiths would be flabbergasted  if they knew that was being done "for" them. 

If you get the chance...enlist to the Grace cathedral website and news letter. Some of what goes on there is truly wonderful but when the intentions of the Holy Eucharist is changed to be extremist in "political correctness" you can see the trend of things "yet to come".

Does anyone know the intentions of the Holy Eucharist?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 1:12AM #2
brjohnbc
I'm no expert but it all sounds a little weird to me!  I don't think I would participate in something like that ... after all the Eucharist is a meal shared by believers.

I agree ... save the praying for others for the prayers of the people and don't invoke the Eucharistic Meal in the name of non-believers.

Blessings
Bro. John
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 8:29PM #3
JoanTreese
You've got to be kidding??? Even for my so-called liberal stances that pushing the envelope!!  Who are they to "assume" that Jews and Muslims want to be included in our Eucharistic prayers???  The Prayers of the People is an entirely different situation.  We pray for our Jewish and Muslim brothers and sister as well as Anglicans around the world and  for Benedict, Bishop of Rome.  But we don't modify the Eucharistic Prayers. Oy vey!:o  Is it the sign of thing to come?  I don't think so!  At least I know it won't in my parish.  Remember Californians travel to the beat of a different drummer!;)  Thankfully some things just stay in California!!!:D
Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 10:14PM #4
jeanette1
Yeah...I had this conversation with Father and he's been to Grace and said it is really weird,yet he said the Dean  is quite orthodox.
Julie-Anne I think you may be right..they may not believe in the real presence,and I had thought about the Mormon thing as well..lol.

Joan,I don't know if this really is a "liberal" thing..it sounds more to me like a "progressive " thing.  I think some liberals believe in the real presense and the literal resurrection.
But then again,Brother John you consider yourself a progressive and you find it weird..lol..what the heck is this about I wonder?

I'd be very curious to see what their reasoning is
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 10:27PM #5
JoanTreese

jeanette1 wrote:

Joan,I don't know if this really is a "liberal" thing..it sounds more to me like a "progressive " thing. I think some liberals believe in the real presense and the literal resurrection.
But then again,Brother John you consider yourself a progressive and you find it weird..lol..what the heck is this about I wonder?

I'd be very curious to see what their reasoning is

Jeanette~~ Like so many terms today who knows what's liberal and what's progressive? Their reasoning??? I dunno and I'm not so sure I want to know!!;) It sounds like BS to me! Maybe it's something in the water there??:rolleyes:

Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 10:46PM #6
brjohnbc
Hey .. watch it you! ... :p 

I may be a progressive (I prefer the term heretic) ... but there are some things you don't mess with and the Mass of the Eucharist is one of them. 

Be careful or I'll be praying for snow in Calgary ... LOL :cool:

Blessings
Bro. John
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 11:27PM #7
JoanTreese

brjohnbc wrote:

I may be a progressive (I prefer the term heretic) ... but there are some things you don't mess with and the Mass of the Eucharist is one of them.

AMEN, Bro. John, AMEN!!!

Joan

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 1:18AM #8
jeanette1
lol....we sang a hymn today against schism and herasies..I didn't realize it was dedicated to my BC monk friend..lol.

pray away  ...hehehe. ;D
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 10:33AM #9
Dutch777
Agreed that it's presumptious to fiddle- faddle with the Eucharistic Prayers; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.   I would surmise that this reflects that Christ came to save all people (all creation, actually) which will culminate in the Apokatastasis Panton.  It is appropriate to pray for all sorts and conditions of humankind, but isn't that already contained within the Prayers of the People?   Leave the Eucharistic Prayers alone.
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest