Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
7 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2007 - 10:49PM #1
madmutt61
I have been doing some study  on the issue of the Ten Commandments.  Are they relevant for Christians since we are under the New Covenant.?  Are they the eternal laws of God?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 8:48PM #2
Drwhite
I have often wondered why we should not continue to observe the Ten Commandments. Matthew (5:17-?) quotes Christ saying that we should continue to obey the Law. I have no problem in keeping them.

Not to stray too far on a tangent, you aren't suggesting that we all run willy-nilly and start killing folks?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 10:19PM #3
davelaw40

madmutt61 wrote:

I have been doing some study on the issue of the Ten Commandments. Are they relevant for Christians since we are under the New Covenant.? Are they the eternal laws of God?

the new Covenant only changes are motivation: we no longer fear the wrath of Sinaii-we are nowed moved to obey by the love shown at Golgotha

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2007 - 9:37AM #4
TalithaKuom
Shabbat Shalom!
The New Covenant is by no means antinomian. If you love God and love your neighbor as yourself, you would naturally follow the Ten Commandments.Are you really loving your neighbor if you kill him, sleep with his wife, steal from him, slander him and covet his property?
Peace of Christ!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 10:10PM #5
madmutt61
[QUOTE=DrWhite;72431]I have often wondered why we should not continue to observe the Ten Commandments. Matthew (5:17-?) quotes Christ saying that we should continue to obey the Law. I have no problem in keeping them.

Not to stray too far on a tangent, you aren't suggesting that we all run willy-nilly and start killing folks?[/QUOTE]

Nope!  From studying, I've found that nine of the Decalogue is still taught in the NT.  Only the fourth isn't.
So why would I suggest such a thing that is clearly prohibited by Christ?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 10:13PM #6
madmutt61
[QUOTE=davelaw40;72685]the new Covenant only changes are motivation: we no longer fear the wrath of Sinaii-we are nowed moved to obey by the love shown at Golgotha[/QUOTE]

Could you explain the difference between the Law of Moses and the Law of Christ?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 10:22PM #7
madmutt61
[QUOTE=TalithaKuom;73285]Shabbat Shalom!
The New Covenant is by no means antinomian. If you love God and love your neighbor as yourself, you would naturally follow the Ten Commandments.Are you really loving your neighbor if you kill him, sleep with his wife, steal from him, slander him and covet his property?
Peace of Christ![/QUOTE]

All ten?  I do not see the command to observe the fourth.  Is Christ the Sabbath rest? Or must Gentiles also keep the Sabbath?  Would I truly love my neighbor if I hated him for no other reason than the colour of his skin? Or that his wife was very attractive? It goes deeper than the actual act itself.  It begins with a thought. A seed, if you would.Depends on what the seed is feeding on.

Shalom!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2007 - 10:36PM #8
TalithaKuom
Shabbat Shalom!
I believe Sabbath-observance IS part of the New Covenant.
1. The Spirit of the Fourth Commandment is deeply humanitarian. It stipulates that neither you nor your employees may work yourselves to the grave. You must rest. There are no Scrooges in the Kingdom of God. 

“Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the LORD your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.” Deut. 5:15

Did you know that Arab countries also participated in the African slave-trade? So why don’t we see those with African-heritage in Jordan or Saudi Arabia? Islam does not have a Sabbath. Christian and post-Christian Europe and America did. As horrendous and unforgivable as slavery was in this part of the world, slave-drivers were legally banned from working their slaves every day of the week.
Or put it another way. My cousin manages several Burger Kings north of Boston. He hires Latino immigrants and tells them they have to work 7-days a week (including Sundays) because "that's what Americans do!" If they ask for a day off, they're fired. Chick-fil-A, on the other hand, closes on Sunday (i.e. they remember the Sabbath to keep it holy). Now, according to your own judgment, which company is more in keeping with Jesus' teachings?

2. Sabbath is a gift to Jews and Gentiles both.

“And on the seventh day God finished His work that He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work that He had done. So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all His work that He had done in creation.” Gen. 2:2-3

"For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but He rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy." Exodus 20:10-11

“Thus says the LORD: ‘Keep justice, and do righteousness, for soon My salvation will come, and My deliverance be revealed. Blessed is the man who does this, and the son of man who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath, not profaning it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil.’ Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the LORD say, ‘The LORD will surely separate me from His people’; and let not the eunach say, ‘Behold, I am a dry tree.’ For thus says the LORD: ‘To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, who choose  the things that please Me and hold fast My covenant, I will give in My house and within My walls, a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.’ And the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, to minister to Him, to love the name of the LORD, and to be His servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it, and holds fast My covenant - these I will bring to My holy mountain, and make them joyful in My house of prayer; their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on My altar; for My house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.’ The Lord God, Who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares, ‘I will gather yet others to Him besides those already gathered.’” Isaiah 56:1-8

Jesus did not argue against the Sabbath. He argued against legalism. Rabbis developed a web of intricate do’s and don’ts, making the Sabbath rest work and completely missing the point.

“The Lord answered him, ‘You hypocrites! Doesn’t each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give water? Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?’” Luke 13:15-16

Of course sin goes deeper than an act. We're involved in spiritual warfare.
C.S. Lewis said there are two natures within man: an animal nature and a demonic nature. Of course the demonic nature is deadlier. But if you can't control the animal, how can you expect to control the demon?
Peace of Christ!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2007 - 9:23AM #9
Drwhite
[QUOTE=madmutt61;84491]Nope!  From studying, I've found that nine of the Decalogue is still taught in the NT.  Only the fourth isn't.
So why would I suggest such a thing that is clearly prohibited by Christ?[/QUOTE]

Ever hear of a thing called humor?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2007 - 9:28AM #10
Drwhite
You can take any thing to absurdity. I see no problem with someone working on Sunday if they need ti keep the old wolf away from the door. But, if you have the luxury of being off on Sunday, then you should take advantage of it. I would hate to see any who wants the Sabbath strictly enforced, watch his house burn down because the fireman are off for 'religious' reasons. 'Oh, it's okay for fire and police to work on the Sabbath,' they say. Then, when they start making suggestions they are hypocrites. It needs to be all or none and take the consequences.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook