Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View On a Similar Note...
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 8:29AM #1
Shaner
Pope Benedict XVI recently issued a Letter to all Catholic Pharmacists, he remind's them that they have a moral duty not to dispense nor sell any drugs that would shorten a life (euthanasia) or prevent a life (AFB, Morning After Pill).

I do see problem's with this though. If you're a Catholic Pharmacist who own's his/her own Pharmacy, it would make it very easy to follow the Pope's directive.

If you're a Catholic Pharmacist who work's for a Pharmacy, where your Boss isn't Catholic or doesn't follow the directive, and you do, you're certain to run the risk of losing your job.

It'd be a tough call........what are your feelings about this?

Sandy
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 11:06AM #2
Mysty101
[COLOR="Red"]Hi Sandy,

I'm glad I'm not a pharmacist.

True, this is a tough call, but maybe a system could be worked out, unless it becomes a Civil Rights issue (right to obtain legal drugs/ right to practice Religion)

I understand the most common Euthanasia is an overdose of pain medication---or is there now something new? 

I would think that it wouldn't be insurrmountable in a busy place where there were more than one pharmacist, but I really don't know what I would do. 

Because we know that even if a person couldn't be fired for refusing, their job could become very difficult.  Unfortunately much would dependon how badly I needed the job.

SuZ
[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 12:12PM #3
newsjunkie
sandy,

Pope Benedict XVI recently issued a Letter to all Catholic Pharmacists, he remind's them that they have a moral duty not to dispense nor sell any drugs that would shorten a life (euthanasia) or prevent a life (AFB, Morning After Pill).

Is AFB artificial birth control, or is it RU-486? I guess what I'm asking is, is the pope telling pharmacists they shouldn't sell condoms or birth control pills and the like? Do you have a link to an article or the speech?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 12:20PM #4
Mareczku
Does this mean a Catholic couldn't sell birth control pills?  or condoms?  Amazing.  I realize that the Catholic Church considers use of birth control a sin but many people belong to religions that do not consider it a sin.  So if for example a married Methodist couple uses birth control pills or condoms they would not consider themselves to be sinning.  What next?  Are Catholics to be told they can't work at Burger King or McDonald's on Fridays during Lent because selling hamburgers on days of fast or abstinence is a sin?  Lets face it.  Catholics are called to follow the rules of the Church but in my opinion we can't push our beliefs down the throat of non-Catholics.  People of other religions are not bound by our rules.

PEACE - MARECZKU
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 1:16PM #5
danman916
Abstaining from meat on fridays is wholly different from contraception. One violates the narutal law, the other is an ecclesiastical discipline.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 1:59PM #6
Shaner

Mysty101 wrote:

Hi Sandy,

I'm glad I'm not a pharmacist.

True, this is a tough call, but maybe a system could be worked out, unless it becomes a Civil Rights issue (right to obtain legal drugs/ right to practice Religion)

I understand the most common Euthanasia is an overdose of pain medication---or is there now something new?

I would think that it wouldn't be insurrmountable in a busy place where there were more than one pharmacist, but I really don't know what I would do.

Because we know that even if a person couldn't be fired for refusing, their job could become very difficult. Unfortunately much would dependon how badly I needed the job.

SuZ

Hi Suz,
Me too!  You bring up a good point.......if I had a Prescription for 30 Morphine Tablets (which could be used for euthanasia) but that was not my intention, I would certainly expect the Pharmacist to fill it for me.  What I'm getting at I suppose is how are they, the Pharmacists to know?

Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 2:06PM #7
Shaner

newsjunkie wrote:

sandy,

Is AFB artificial birth control, or is it RU-486? I guess what I'm asking is, is the pope telling pharmacists they shouldn't sell condoms or birth control pills and the like? Do you have a link to an article or the speech?

Hi nj,
Yes, that's what he's telling them........although condoms weren't specifically mentioned, I assume he include's them. 
I read about this last week at www.zenit.org, it may still be in their Archives.

Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 2:47PM #8
newsjunkie
Thanks, Sandy. I found this http://www.zenit.org/article-20955?l=english

I don't read it as addressing whether Catholic pharmacists ought to object to dispensing birth control pills, condoms, or diaphragms. It talks about things "whose purpose is to prevent an embryo's implantation." The pill is designed to prevent ovulation, not implantation of embryos. IUDs are designed to prevent implantation. If I recall what I've read about Plan B correctly, it's also designed to prevent or delay ovulation, not to prevent implantation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 5:05PM #9
Mareczku
I agree with you ladies.  How could a pharmacist be held responsible for someone's misuse of drugs?  Doctors certainly do not prescribe lethal amounts of medication for people to kill themselves with.  A doctor would be thrown in jail for that.  In regard to the condom/birth control pill issue.  I don't view this as evil.  I don't think that married Protestants who use them are guilty of sin.  Catholics that use them are sinning because they are being disobedient to the rules of the Church. 

Peace - MARECZKU
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 5:07PM #10
Burks1999
[QUOTE=newsjunkie;63332]Thanks, Sandy. I found this http://www.zenit.org/article-20955?l=english

I don't read it as addressing whether Catholic pharmacists ought to object to dispensing birth control pills, condoms, or diaphragms. It talks about things "whose purpose is to prevent an embryo's implantation." The pill is designed to prevent ovulation, not implantation of embryos. IUDs are designed to prevent implantation. If I recall what I've read about Plan B correctly, it's also designed to prevent or delay ovulation, not to prevent implantation.[/QUOTE]

Not to start a debate but birth control pills may prevent ovulation however they might also prevent implantation. That is one of the 3 ways they work. I never knew this until last year and if you really look you can find the truth about them and that they can just prevent implantation and they can't tell you how often that is how it works!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook