Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Good Catholic reading
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 7:01PM #1
Prajna
So does anyone have suggestions for good Catholic reading?  Be it theology, philosophy, fiction, non-fiction....
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 7:29PM #2
newsjunkie
One of the first "Catholic" books I read after returning to the Church following a 30-year absence was "New Seeds of Contemplation" by Thomas Merton. Many gems in that one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 7:54PM #3
jane2
nj

I love Merton and own  New Seeds of Contemplation, too. It is indeed a gem.

I've just finished Becoming Who You Are by James Martin. S.J.; it is based on Merton's search
for who he was meant to be.

Several books by Thomas Cahill are favorites including Desire of the Everlasting Hills: The World Before and After Jesus and Pope John XXIII. I haven't finished Cahill's The Gift of the Jews but I will.

Who Is Jesus?: An Introduction to Christology by Thomas Rausch, S.J., PhD, professor of theology at Loyola MaryMount is a pillar in my library.
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 7:56PM #4
newsjunkie
jane,

Thanks for the tip on Martin's book -- that sounds interesting. Will have to try to remember to look for it.

nj
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 8:19PM #5
jane2
nj

A very small trade paperback available from Amazon.
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 9:24PM #6
Prajna
thanks for all the book suggestions so far.  I have already marked them on Amazon.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 9:45PM #7
jane2
Since you are only new to Catholicism, not Christianity, have you read the old novel The Robe?
(movie doesn't do it justice)  I ordered a copy a few years back and then gave it to a teen RCIA student we were preparing for Confirmation.

Prince of Peace by James Carroll is an interesting study in Cardinal Spellman and his role in promoting the war in Viet Nam. It is out of print but available second-hand.

Have fun.
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 6:36AM #8
Shaner
Hello Prajna,

If you're interested in spirituality, mysticism, try St. Theresa of Avila or St. John of the Cross, both very enlightening,

Sandy
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 11:41AM #9
Redkim
[QUOTE=Prajna;49622]So does anyone have suggestions for good Catholic reading?  Be it theology, philosophy, fiction, non-fiction....[/QUOTE]

Hey Prajna...here's a great list:

Catholic Fiction Reading List
Kim
The Inconvenience of Dorothy Day
on Faith, Fiction, and Flannery
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 9:15AM #10
WaveringCC
Although you have recently become Catholic, your bnet name and your dog's name both imply that you have an interest in Buddhism and, perhaps, eastern religion in general.

So, I would add the books of Anthony De Mello, S.J. to your reading list.  He died far too young, about 10 years ago (maybe 15?).  He was a Jesuit (S.J. means Society of Jesus, shortened to Jesuit -  perhaps you know this, -  I'm explaining  it because you say you are new to the Catholic church and perhaps aren't as familiar with the various abbreviations for the different religious orders as those of us who grew up with nuns and priests in our schools).

He was from India, and his work is very rich, reflecting the history and culture of his Hindu society and weaving in the eastern outlook to western Catholic belief.  He was also very knowledgable about Buddhism and eastern religion in general.

If you are interested in modern Christian mysticism, you might also look at the work of Bede Griffiths.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook