Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View God and life after death
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 10:29AM #1
rbchaddy2000
I am reverently agnostic on God and an after life. After much contemplation. I seem to meet empirical agnostic criteria. I believe that there is something to God. I reject supernatural theism. I am not a deist or pantheist. God for me is being itself. He is reality. He is impersonal as he can not be limited to personality. As humans, we are beings that become aware of the cosmic process and we have awe and reverence for it. God is somehow this process. I think and my heart wants to believe that we survive death in some way. Moody and Harpur talk about  life after death experiences. I reject the  Platonic immortality of the soul, and the Christian/Orthodox Jewish resurrection concepts, but I wish to affirm some kind of survival of death. I an reverently agnostic on what this means. Ir we survive death, it is universal for all without reward and punishment. Peace. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 10:40AM #2
Dutch777
[QUOTE=rbchaddy2000;45787]I am reverently agnostic on God and an after life.  Peace. Richard[/QUOTE]

Life after death?
How about maximizing life before death ?
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 10:45AM #3
journeying
Since you shouldn't be horribly offended as some "Christians" would be, find Sylvia Browne's book, Life on the Other Side.  I'm not advocating her psychic abilities but I found her ideas on the other side of life on earth very compelling.  I have no problem combining my idea of God - the energy which unites all living things (Spong) - with the idea that what we "know" as "reality" is not necessarily all there is.  I don't claim to have any answers but I'm comfortable with this so far and always open to new ideas.

Shel
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 10:47AM #4
samuelbb7
Interesting. Since you reject the Bible there is little I can say.  Except maybe the Force be with you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 1:01PM #5
rbchaddy2000
journeying: Thanks. Sounds quite interesting. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 1:06PM #6
rbchaddy2000
Samuel: I do not reject the Bible as a great source of spiritual treasure and timeless truth. I do not see the Bible as the final authority. It is a product of centuries of development and selection among possible sources. To reject it as absolute is not to reject the truth that it contains which is tremendous. I am a religious liberal. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 1:08PM #7
rbchaddy2000
Dutch: I am all with you for celebrating life. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 2:44PM #8
Dutch777
[QUOTE=samuelbb7;45827]Interesting. Since you reject the Bible there is little I can say.  Except maybe the Force be with you.[/QUOTE]

Ah!  Always good to have a splash of Local Color

It relieves one of the burden of cogency.

flickr.com/photos/seyd/102010549/
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 2:44PM #9
Dutch777
[QUOTE=samuelbb7;45827]Interesting. Since you reject the Bible there is little I can say.  Except maybe the Force be with you.[/QUOTE]

Ah!  Always good to have a splash of Local Color

It relieves one of the burden of cogency.

flickr.com/photos/seyd/102010549/
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 4:41PM #10
journeying
Without the Bible, we would not be having this discussion.  Jesus would have died and that would have been that.

Just because some of us don't happen to believe that God dictated every word of the KJV Bible and that what a passage means is there in red, black and white with no need for interpretation or study doesn't mean that we find the book useless or worthless.

Contrary to what some seem to believe, it is possible to be a follower of Jesus without attributing everything in the Bible to God as is forever.  In fact, it may be far more difficult for a Bible literalist/legalist to love God, love one's neighbor, leave judgment to God, recognize the log in the eye, etc. as the Bible can get in the way of all of those.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook