Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
9 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2008 - 3:08AM #21
genesis_9_6
As far as I am aware, one does not need to "Covert" to Latin or Byzantine Rite. We are free to come and go between the two Rites, though as is the case in all situations Catholics are asked to stay at one specific parish, rather than jumping back and forth. I wasn't aware the Jesuits have extended into the Byzantine Rite, though I guess its always possible. I can't see why the Byzantine Rite Priests and Bishops would accept an order like the Jesuits, not exactly known for their orthodox beliefs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 12:56PM #22
noseington
[QUOTE=timrford;344876]Being Eastern Catholic means that instead of a strictly scholastic approach to our Faith, you have an experiential approach.  If you were baptized Roman, then you are a Roman, but if you were baptized into one of the 21 other rites, then you are one of them.  My Church is a Ruthenian (Russian), and our liturgy is that of the Orthodox, except that we are under the Pope.  The Orthodox look down on us and call us Uniates, since we returmed to the Pope.  We keep all of our traditions and customs, like infant baptism, confirmation, and communion.  The Catholic Church is often mislabelled as the Roman Catholic Church, it is the Catholic Church, and the Roman rite is the largest, about 90% of the Catholic membership.  Our priests can marry outside the US, and we are small.[/QUOTE]

Far be it for the Vatican to dispel the popular myth that they are the one and only true catholic church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2008 - 1:33PM #23
danman916
[QUOTE=noseington;664302]Far be it for the Vatican to dispel the popular myth that they are the one and only true catholic church.[/QUOTE]

I believe that Fr. Mitch Pacwa, is a bi-ritual priest, both Roman Rite and Byzantine Rite.

What kind of popular myth arae you talking about, noseington? I think that the myth is your own.

The problem I see with most, if not all, Catholics, is that they are sorely ignorant of the unity of the Catholic Church that includes 22 autocephalous Churches of six distinct rites, not only the Roman Rite.

It is understandable that you may not be familiar with anything other than the Roman Rite and think that it is practically the only Catholic Church out there, but that is just a narrow view of things.

Whenever the Vatican is accused of this or that, I always point out the Tradition and praxis of the Eastern Churches that have veryu little influence from Rome, yet share the same doctrines.

That demonstrates that the Catholic faith is not merely the dictates of the pontiff, as many erroneously believe.

Did your path to enlightenment include the Byzantine traditions? I doubt it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2008 - 5:37PM #24
noseington
[QUOTE=danman916;683273]I believe that Fr. Mitch Pacwa, is a bi-ritual priest, both Roman Rite and Byzantine Rite.

What kind of popular myth arae you talking about, noseington? I think that the myth is your own.

The problem I see with most, if not all, Catholics, is that they are sorely ignorant of the unity of the Catholic Church that includes 22 autocephalous Churches of six distinct rites, not only the Roman Rite.

It is understandable that you may not be familiar with anything other than the Roman Rite and think that it is practically the only Catholic Church out there, but that is just a narrow view of things.

Whenever the Vatican is accused of this or that, I always point out the Tradition and praxis of the Eastern Churches that have veryu little influence from Rome, yet share the same doctrines.

That demonstrates that the Catholic faith is not merely the dictates of the pontiff, as many erroneously believe.

Did your path to enlightenment include the Byzantine traditions? I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Give me a break, I was educated by the Jesuits and I don't know anything about the Catholic Church. So I guess I slept through all my theology and philosophy classes.

I never paid any attention to you on the Catholic boards and I don't intend to start now.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 2:25PM #25
danman916
Apparently, your snobbish attitude didn't serve you well learning under the Jesuits either.
I can't help it if you're ignorant of the Eastern traditions. That seems to be your problem, not mine!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 12:35AM #26
ConanTheLibrarian
It has been years since I participated in any Beliefnet discussions and I am glad to be back.

I know many priests who are multi-ritual. In fact, one priest that I know of qualifies in at least four different rites.

It isn't true that U.S. born clergy must be celibate to be ordained in Eastern rite diocese. I know of several priests who are/have been married and who have been ordained as priest. However, I doubt that Vatican knows what is really happening in Eastern Rite parishes, unless it is a case of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

A lady asked if there are any Eastern Rite parishes in Texas. I don't know about San Antonio, but I know Eastern Rite parishes in both Dallas and Houston areas.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook