Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 13  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Music Clips and Videos
10 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 9:00PM #21
smallson
[QUOTE=butterflynews11;479359]Hi Smallson,
I'm back in full gear, hopefully. Thanks for the concern!

There's a prophetic word that the next president and 'his' wife are going to be filled with the Spirit and speak in other tongues. (As you know, the Vineyard doesn't believe that a person has to have the gift of tongues in order to be filled with the Spirit)
Only time will tell whether the word comes to pass or not  since 'we know in part and prophesy in part' (1 Cor. 13:9), and therefore prophetic words aren't always accurate - which is a reason God has given the gift of discernment to the Church body to test everything. (1 Thess. 5:21)

I'd been bashing presidents for a long time and have come to realize that part of the reason I wasn't experiencing Jesus' peace was due to the fact that I wasn't praying for leaders, but instead was holding them in contempt.
Here's the passage: (which is a familiar one but I sorely took for granted)

1 Tim. 2:1-4:

"1 Therefore I (the Apostle Paul) exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (NKJV)
[/QUOTE]

Hi Yvette,

I guess the prophecy you mentioned would eliminate Hillary clinton becoming president, since that would not be "a president and 'his' wife".It looks like obama could very well be the next one.Have to wait and see what happens.

[QUOTE=butterflynews11;479359]

Well, on to the music.
I don't know how to provide a link so you'll have to copy and paste the URLs into your address bar.

[/QUOTE]

The URL videos you put up actualy work as links! So you made links without knowing it. Any full URL that you put up on the new beliefnet forums automaticaly turn into links (unless there is a glitch or something).All I had to do was put my mouse arrow on your URL's and click, that easy!

My favourites on your last videos is the David Ruis ones, especialy the Native Indian dancing one.The tribal drum sound is more African than Native Indian, but it works! I also checked out a Ruis song he did in Budapest that was pretty good (came up on youtube after I watched one of yours).

I saw the first video before.Post-grunge worship rock with mellow vocals?

The last two examples you gave (video and music clips) are fairly traditional praise and worship, pop rock/soft rock, ballad material.That's how I would describe it.

Continued....with some of my videos.

PS. Hope this post works as I intended .
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 9:33PM #22
smallson
[QUOTE=samie;480864]I wish I could watch the videos, but my 'pooter':mad: is just to slow.  I do have a clear view of the 'southern sky' but my hubby says our bank account is not 'clear' enough to pay to use it.:eek:   ohhhh well,  samie[/QUOTE]

On another thread you mentioned having a 'Blue Sunday' where gospel meets the blues.

This is very relevant to a video I discovered last weekend.Hear is some electric blues-gospel that was recorded in a black Pentecostal church in the early 60's.Very wild, raw and rocking gospel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqoHhjmHAD0

PS. If you simply click the above URL it should work as a link (if your computer will allow it).More videos coming!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 10:11PM #23
smallson
Hear are 4 more video's, continuing with more black related music:

The first two are examples of black lined out hymns or "Dr. Watts".Dr Watts is the most common name that black Americans give to their old lined out hymn music, which is named after the hymn writer Isaac Watts.(It should be kept in mind that Isaac Watts didn't write the music for his hymns, only the text).

#1. This Dr. Watts hymn is sung mostly solo by Elder Robert Moore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZGfiPbaiWM

#2. Hear is a mellower example of Dr. Watts/Lined Out Hymn singing by a Primitive Baptist congregation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3GJzjOrxxQ

#3. Nina Simone doing her version of an old black spiritual song called 'Sinnerman':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSasf8GBfV4

#4. 16 Horsepower doing another version of the same black spiritual:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlFP2CBOhDs

Hopefully I didn't mess any of the above links, which is so easy to do! Perhaps next time I'll put up some lined out hymns sung by Cree Indians, if I can find the link.

Ps. Yvette, I also shared a video with Samie, just in case you miss it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 11:24PM #24
butterflynews11
Hi Smallson!
Looks like I just missed you because I saw the green light button on. But it's great we're back in fellowshiping here again!

Regarding the 'his' with the president, it occurred to me that Bill Clinton was president, and former presidents are still addressed as 'Mr. President'. So God may very well put Hillary in there, we'll just have to wait and see. Whomever is elected (or is 'self-appointed' in other countries), I believe the leader (good or evil) is part of God's sovereign plan.

Thanks for covering my back regarding your p.s.!
I wanted to post a quick reply before you left, and hopefully you're still online and will see this tonight. I'm looking forward to your videos and clips, what-have-you.

That's so great regarding the link! I just the automatic link at the bottom of the page after noticing the link worked on my new thread. Isn't that wonderful!
Glad you liked the music. You're so right on!

Samie!
If you're unable to get the video up, you can still suggest your favorite Christian songs. I noticed on your profile that you have a Baptist background? Is this correct? If so, I'd love to hear some names of traditional hymns if you know any. Just a suggestion. No pressure, sis.

Well have a blessed night!

With Love,
Yvette
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 11:27PM #25
butterflynews11
Hi Smallson!
We're on at the same time! So great! Gonna post something now.

See ya!
Love,
Yvette
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 12:17AM #26
butterflynews11
The video of the funeral 'celebration' is so endearing and heartwrenching. One of those things where the human separation is so real and yet the realization that the loved one is with the Lord which gives reason to celebrate.

Are they Pentecostal, Smallson? Some years ago I went to a non-Charismatic/Pentecostal black Baptist church and they shouted and raised their hands. But they didn't believe that tongues was for today. But the actions of the Praise and Worship throughout the service was pretty much as that of a mainline Pentecostal church.
Maybe you can give me some insight on that. Thanks.
I've gone to a 'white' Baptist church on a couple of occasions and they were much more formal with few 'amens' here and there, and I vaguely remember a couple of people's hands going up for affirmation. We also got in groups of about 10 and stood in circles to pray. So there are definitely some similarities to Charismatic and Pentecostal churches unlike a liturgical church such as Catholicism. Interesting the variations and yet there are similarities. But the churches get an overall format from Judaism anyway from where our Christian roots sprang.

It was so cute how the children in the video were sleeping during the Praise and Worship! They're used to it because some children at my church did the same thing during a high Praise and Worship time. haha You'd think they'd be all wound up! But they actually were winding down from all the excitement.

Nina Simone's just fabulous! The song was hypnotic, to me. Also loved the reggae flavor. The changes with the beat was ahead of it's time if that's the original way the song went. But the skill of the musicianship reached a new level in the 60s, imo. Still, the raw stuff of early blues is in a class of its own that can't be duplicated. The intelligence, together with the soul pouring out in the music is what makes it so creatively genius.

Well the last link to listen to and will get back in a moment!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 12:51AM #27
butterflynews11
Well that was interesting, Sixteen Horsepower's version. Definitely has a 'whiteness' to the song. lol :op Seriously, I liked their version but not as much as Nina Simone's. But since it sounds like a modern version, it will draw the younger generation which would interest them to learn more about the song and the blues genre, that is, if they don't know the history already.

Sounded a little rock-a-billy. Loved the playing of the 'bass with the bow' :^) (Neil Young lyric in 'Cinnamon Girl')

What is that style called? You know, like the theme songs to Clint Eastwood westerns; and the REM song that has a western feel; Bon Jovi's 'Wanted Dead or Alive'; Bad Co.'s song 'Bad Company', etc.? Is the style simply called 'country/western'? Seems to be anyway. (duh, Yvette) haha :Op

Hope to hear some Cree Indian songs if you can find them!

Oh yeah, meant to tell that the Nina Simone video has nearly a million views! Wow!

Here's some Gospel tunes by Hank Williams.

'Jesus Is Calling': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf7kfBK1 … re=related

'I'm Going Home': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-nOtG__ … re=related

'I Saw the Light': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdaR53X … re=related

There are some others in the column to the right if you want to listen to those, as well.

Enjoy!

Now for something completely different. This is a spiritual secular song (is that a contradiction in terms? hee) by Collective Soul called, 'Shine' that was on the radio a couple of nights ago. Their songs are so spiritual that the group was mistaken for a Christian group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZRwhpkcUBY

Well this has been fun as always!
See you soon!

Love,
Yvette
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 5:35PM #28
butterflynews11
Here is a song written by Matt Redman and sung by Chris Tomlin. This is the most listened to version with some beautiful scenery. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je-wFV4M9MU
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 27, 2008 - 9:50PM #29
butterflynews11
Sheila Walsh is featured on the homepage of bnet and I wanted to share a couple of videos.

'Hope for the Hopeless': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yOrdx4f8ow

'He Shall Feed His Flock' was sung by Sheila and Russ Taff some years back. (I've got the cassette tape)
I found a video of them on Youtube singing the song but unfortunately, there's a lot of static interference. But you may be able to get the gist of the song. It's very beautiful, and after hearing her testimony in the 90s, I was able to connect more intimately with God through Christian music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDjEACTm … re=related

Enjoy!

With Love,
Yvette
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 9:42PM #30
smallson
[QUOTE=butterflynews11;520604]The video of the funeral 'celebration' is so endearing and heartwrenching. One of those things where the human separation is so real and yet the realization that the loved one is with the Lord which gives reason to celebrate.

Are they Pentecostal, Smallson? Some years ago I went to a non-Charismatic/Pentecostal black Baptist church and they shouted and raised their hands. But they didn't believe that tongues was for today. But the actions of the Praise and Worship throughout the service was pretty much as that of a mainline Pentecostal church.
Maybe you can give me some insight on that. Thanks.
I've gone to a 'white' Baptist church on a couple of occasions and they were much more formal with few 'amens' here and there, and I vaguely remember a couple of people's hands going up for affirmation. We also got in groups of about 10 and stood in circles to pray. So there are definitely some similarities to Charismatic and Pentecostal churches unlike a liturgical church such as Catholicism. Interesting the variations and yet there are similarities. But the churches get an overall format from Judaism anyway from where our Christian roots sprang.

It was so cute how the children in the video were sleeping during the Praise and Worship! They're used to it because some children at my church did the same thing during a high Praise and Worship time. haha You'd think they'd be all wound up! But they actually were winding down from all the excitement.

Nina Simone's just fabulous! The song was hypnotic, to me. Also loved the reggae flavor. The changes with the beat was ahead of it's time if that's the original way the song went. But the skill of the musicianship reached a new level in the 60s, imo. Still, the raw stuff of early blues is in a class of its own that can't be duplicated. The intelligence, together with the soul pouring out in the music is what makes it so creatively genius.

Well the last link to listen to and will get back in a moment![/QUOTE]

Hi Yvette!

Last night I wrote a response to this post and pushed the submit button, but some other page came up instead.The computer would not allow me to save what I wrote and beliefnet would not allow me to log back in or check any of the new forum.So I hear I try again!

To answer your one question, the video of the funeral celebration is infact in a Pentecostal church.It belongs to the same Pentecostal denomination as the earlier video with the sleeping children.It is known as "Church Of God In Christ" (COGIC).I could sense the Holy Spirit as Elder Robert Moore sang (the one singing at the funeral).

From my observation, black Americans are more frequently lively or expressive in their worship than their white counterparts.They also had a strong impact on the Pentecostal movement, so I think that would atleast partialy explain the similarities between some Pentecostal worship and that of black Baptist fellowships.

One day I was channel surfing and came upon the catholic tv station.Some priest chanted out a line and the congregation sung back the same melody in unison.It sounded alot like the lined out hymns or psalms I've heard (though it was very short).The priest also did this thing with incense and wore the litirgical robes (or whatever they're called).Certainly different than my church upbringing.It's like church on another planet (to me).

I agree about Nina.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 13  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook