Page 13 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Switch to Forum Live View Music Clips and Videos
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 12:53PM #121
smallson
[QUOTE=butterflynews11;890105]This is a song that I'd like to leave you with as I'm no longer going to be on this board.

'The New Earth' by John Michael Talbot from his early years!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnxY51IMdzc

God bless you!
In Jesus' Peace and Love always,
Yvette

p.s. I'll email you Smallson[/QUOTE]

The first thing that came to my mind when I first read this was "Oh No!" , but it's good to see you'll still be on beliefnet.

Nice video with very beautiful scenery.It felt like a Odessey! (spelling?)

I'll briefly comment on your 7 other video's (keeping it  fairly simple):

The Heart video for Dog and Butterfly was cute, and Anne & Nancy Wilson were certainly pleasant to look at in the other video (Don't mean that in a bad way).I can hear a bit of Led Zeppelin in Rock'n Heaven Down, her voice sord of sounding like a cross between Zeppelin and a gospel/soul singer.A gutsy bluesy feel.

Phil Keaggy and the 4 Non Blondes were my favourites out of the video's.I had a tiny bit of a laugh seeing David Letterman's keyboard player bopping his head around while accompaning the band (forget the guy's name).Linda Perry certainly has some spunk!

It almost looks like Darth Vader on the second clip of Jesus Christ Superstar.I don't think I've ever watched the entire movie before, though I've seen parts of the old movie.Like you, I think I probably like the older one better (no offence).

Well.....I guess this might be my last post to you on this thread.I'll leave you with 3 video's, 2 of which you'll probably enjoy.You might even like all three!:

1. Innocence Mission singing Away In The Manger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgrpJfFx9NI

2.Some kids singing a Innocence Mission song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRtNLiMHik

3.A video about Sacred Harp music (pretty much an accapella genre of church music).I'm not shure if I agree with all the info in the video, but anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHUfHNEZDPc

I recently received a cd compilation in the mail that is very related to the 3rd video above.It's a double cd called Awake, My Soul/ Help Me To Sing.The first disc is 24 tracks of traditional Sacred Harp music.The second cd is 20 songs of musicians doing their versions of Sacred Harp songs, an eclectic yet consistent mix that ranges from acoustic folk, fiddle music to indie/alternative.It includes the likes of The Innocence Mission, Woven Hand (the same guy who sings for 16 Horsepower), Mac Powell (lead singer of Third Day), John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin), fiddler Doc Watson, and other Christian/secular artists.An interesting mix of music.

PS. Good to hear you enjoyed the Saviour Machine video's.I agree about eric Clayton having a great voice.Going to have some lunch now.See you around (even if it's not hear anymore)!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 3:46PM #122
butterflynews11
Hiya, long time Smallson!
I watched the videos awhile back, and now watched them again to make some comments. Oh the guy bopping his head up and down is Paul Schaeffer (sp?). I think he's funny too because he really lets loose. One is never too old to rock out! It's like saying one is too old to act 'sophisticated' while watching an opera or listening to an orchestra at a concert hall, know what I mean? Doesn't make sense to me. What, just because movements of the body and sounds are different? The music can be seen and felt without the sexual innuendos, I think. We don't have to do the bump and grind to present good music. I'd like to think of music as being mature. But of course, the sexual appeal does add some edge to it, I'm not going to lie. :op

Here's a video of Grace Slick now, speaking her mind, of course. I thought some of it was funny. I'm not too sure what to think of her comment of rock music and commercial art. I try to focus on the soul of art. That's why I didn't become a commercial artist because I felt that I'd be directed on what to apply to the canvas, that my work would be watered down. But we're talking about Grace Slick here, and not some no-namer like me. Anyway, here's the video. Don't be shocked by her appearance. All she needs to do  is lose weight. Her eyes, omg, they're so bright and clear considering all the drugs she's done:

http://vail.plumtv.com/stories/few_moments_grace_slick

I'll get back with comments on your videos. I lost a post the other day and don't want that to happen again.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2009 - 4:41PM #123
butterflynews11
clarification: I said, '..movement of body and sounds'. I should have continued by saying 'movements of body and sounds of music..' LOL! movements of body sounds??? hee hee   oh oh! Things, is digestion does become a factor when one becomes elderly.
Seriously here, I visited some elderly people in their 80s and 90s last week, and they are really tough people. Something about that generation of folks. Amazing. I really admire them.

(about the music)
Ohhhhh The Innocence Mission singing 'Away in the Manger' was so heartfelt. She has such a sweet, angelic voice.
I wonder if she was influenced by Natalie Merchant. She sounds a little bit like her, to me, but with a Celtic flair to her pronounciations.

I felt God's presence while watching the kids sing 'There' by the Innocence Mission. The childlike joy bubbled up in me. The sincerity and big smiles were so refreshing. Jesus told his disciples to have a childlike faith. Thanks for the beauty revealed in that video.

Sacred Harp music has a harmonious sound with great control. Love the rounds.
Interesting that John Paul Jones does a version of one of their songs! But it's not surprising since Led Zeppelin was influenced by Blues music which of course, started with gospel music, with acapella being connected.

Here are some clips of Messianic music by Avner and Rachel Boskey from Israel. I have their 'Ancient Gates' and 'Old and New' cds.

http://www.thejerusalemgiftshop.com/avn … cts_id/251

http://www.thejerusalemgiftshop.com/avn … cts_id/252

After listening to the clips of 'LaKatzir (The Harvest)', will have to add it to my collection even though it's in Hebrew. And while the song titles aren't listed, either, the music says it all, to me. Hope you appreciate the sound even it's not your cup of tea! (if you don't like it, no offence, of course)

http://www.israel-music.com/avner_rachel_boskey/

Catch ya later! Hope you're not experiencing a harsh winter this year and feel the effects of the North Eastern part of the States that were pounded by snow.

Take it easy,
Love,
Yvette
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 10:32PM #124
smallson
Hi Yvette!

It's been a colder winter this year,with lots of snow.Last year I heard a guy on tv say that we're in a period of global cooling (contrary to popular opinion) and I'm inclined to believe him.Atleast we've had more cooler days in the last year and this winter, that much is evident.

I checked out the three albums of Avner & Rachel Buskey, which you shared with me.While their overall style isn't quite down my alley, there certainly are things I like in different songs (such as the Middle Eastern sounds in tracks like "Ancient Gates").I really like the drum sound in the song "You who Fear The Lord" which has a perfect drum tone and rhythm for my ears.It goes perfectly with the vocal parts.It is my favourite song out of the whole batch, which had me coming back for repeat listens.I also like  the blend of the marching drum & bagppes with Middle Eastern, as heard on the first track of  their Lakazi album.Some of the guitar playing on some songs reminds me of Spaish music, but that's probably because Spanish reminds me of Middle Eastern. They tend to lean more toward easy listening than my taste, but there definetly are tracks that interest me and they seem very professional.

I watched the Grace Slick video and heard her talk about trying to give President Nixon LSD (Take it that she didn't like him that much).I wasn't shure if Nixon was Democat or Republican  but I guessued Republican, based on the fact that secular rock stars pretty much approve of every left wing/Democrat president and disprove of every Republican president.Secular rockers are so predicatible when it comes to their political leanings.With some quick research I found Nixon to be Republican (no surprise).I do like some of the Jefferson Airplane stuff (which of course she was involved in) but I'm not shure if I'm into anything of the Jefferson Starship material.I bet they got some of the inspiration for their name from Blind Lemon Jefferson (a blues artist).

Speaking of blues, I'm not shure if it started as gospel music (as I guess I implied in the past), but it clearly was shaped by early music of the black church.And gospel or sacred songs were apart of the repertoire  of early recorded blues (often intermingled with secular songs), and in return secular rock artists (with a interest in early blues) have sometimes included old gospel blues songs in their own repertoire.The old black church genre I have called "blues chant" is officially called "moaning"  or "a moan" and is very closely related to another genre called "moaning hymns" (a style of Dr Watts hymn singing or black "lining out").Non of this is officialy considered blues, though there is a connection.I have a book at home by William T. Dargan called "Lining Out The Word", which discuses the connection betwen Dr. Watts hymn singing and field hollers, and between moaning and blues, amongst other things related to the topic.

Recently I discovered an obscure song by Nirvana, their rendition of an old gospel song that was performed by a blues/folk artist by the name of Leadbelly.(The song itself probably goes back further):

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=s63zQWslzmA

You might not like the video accompaniment, but you can always just listen if needed.

Hear is another Nirvana related video, which gives some interesting insight into Kurt Cobain's life.One of the things you will see is Kurt as a teenager in a church service (He lived with a Baptist preacher when he was younger and was baptised, accepted Jesus as his Saviour, though it's apparent that he didn't stick to it very long):

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=CQhXR6ZZEVg

Lastly, you may be interested to know that Karen Peris (of the Innocence Mission) sang on two songs of Natalie Merchant's Ophelia album--the songs Frozen Charlotte and WhenThey Ring The Golden Bells.Here is the song Frozen Charlotte (the second voice being Karen Peris):

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=x7iB5VnmQmE

Hope your having a good week!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 10:07AM #125
butterflynews11

smallson wrote:

Hi Yvette!

It's been a colder winter this year,with lots of snow.Last year I heard a guy on tv say that we're in a period of global cooling (contrary to popular opinion) and I'm inclined to believe him.Atleast we've had more cooler days in the last year and this winter, that much is evident.

Hey Grapester!
We're having an unusually colder winter this year, but it's actually the normal temperature. This temperature was the way it used to be when I was growing up. (not complaining because this winter was nothing like up north)
A noticeable change started taking place in the early 80s where the fall and winter started becoming milder with temperatures being in the 80s during Christmas. And that's not the way it used to be here. I remember as a kid I had to wear a jacket during Halloween, and would get bummed out because the jacket covered my costume. But about 25 years ago or so, never had to wear another jacket during that time because it got so warm. And I stopped owning a coat but only had a sweater. The only time I had to get a coat is when I travelled during the late fall up north.
But I remember in the late 70s a biology teacher saying that we were headed toward an ice age. So go figure. But I'm primarily going by feel and looking at the devastation of wildnerness caused by urban sprawl. There's progress being made, however. For example, poles have been erected for osprey and eagles to build their nests. And the Everglades are being rehydrated! It's the only ecosystem of its kind in the world and the sugar farms were nearly destroying it.
I really don't want to debate about the environment, but of course you can voice your view again if you want to! I'll let ya! lol :^D

smallson wrote:

I checked out the three albums of Avner & Rachel Buskey, which you shared with me.While their overall style isn't quite down my alley, there certainly are things I like in different songs (such as the Middle Eastern sounds in tracks like "Ancient Gates").I really like the drum sound in the song "You who Fear The Lord" which has a perfect drum tone and rhythm for my ears.It goes perfectly with the vocal parts.It is my favourite song out of the whole batch, which had me coming back for repeat listens.I also like  the blend of the marching drum & bagppes with Middle Eastern, as heard on the first track of  their Lakazi album.Some of the guitar playing on some songs reminds me of Spaish music, but that's probably because Spanish reminds me of Middle Eastern. They tend to lean more toward easy listening than my taste, but there definetly are tracks that interest me and they seem very professional.

Yeah! I thought you'd pick up on the Middle Eastern sounds and would like it!

smallson wrote:

I watched the Grace Slick video and heard her talk about trying to give President Nixon LSD (Take it that she didn't like him that much).I wasn't shure if Nixon was Democat or Republican  but I guessued Republican, based on the fact that secular rock stars pretty much approve of every left wing/Democrat president and disprove of every Republican president.Secular rockers are so predicatible when it comes to their political leanings.With some quick research I found Nixon to be Republican (no surprise).I do like some of the Jefferson Airplane stuff (which of course she was involved in) but I'm not shure if I'm into anything of the Jefferson Starship material.I bet they got some of the inspiration for their name from Blind Lemon Jefferson (a blues artist).

Oh I think that was discusting how she tried giving Nixon LSD. Obviously security wasn't very tight. So astoundig given that it was such a tumultuous time!

Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship put out some great music, but they definitely weren't good role models.
I saw JS in the very early 80s (and during that slim time, their music was pretty bad, imo). But they recorded another album (still an LP at the time) a short time thereafter called 'Winds of Change'. Excellent album! I've got the album, as well as the cd when it changed over.
Clean sounds, great harmonies, melodies. 'Can't Find Love' and 'Winds of Change' are my favorites, together with a song, having a 60s or early 70s feel to it, called, 'I Came Back from the Jaws of the Dragon'.

smallson wrote:

Speaking of blues, I'm not shure if it started as gospel music (as I guess I implied in the past), but it clearly was shaped by early music of the black church.

We've had discussions about it in times past but had to refresh my memory. My memory has vastly improved since God did a work in me! Praise you Lord!

smallson wrote:

Recently I discovered an obscure song by Nirvana, their rendition of an old gospel song that was performed by a blues/folk artist by the name of Leadbelly.(The song itself probably goes back further)

Hear is another Nirvana related video, which gives some interesting insight into Kurt Cobain's life.One of the things you will see is Kurt as a teenager in a church service (He lived with a Baptist preacher when he was younger and was baptised, accepted Jesus as his Saviour, though it's apparent that he didn't stick to it very long)

Very touching, Smallson. Kurt Cobain battled bipolar disorder and unfortunately, he couldn't beat it. But he gave his heart to the Lord despite what happened later. And in God's kindness, I believe Kurt is with him. I just have to believe that.

smallson wrote:

Lastly, you may be interested to know that Karen Peris (of the Innocence Mission) sang on two songs of Natalie Merchant's Ophelia album--the songs Frozen Charlotte and WhenThey Ring The Golden Bells.Here is the song Frozen Charlotte (the second voice being Karen Peris)

So beautiful.
The song, 'Jealousy' was on the radio a few days ago and got to hear the similarities of their voices.
Love the surreal artwork, and the background music is chilling.
The black and white portrait of the girl's face standing out from what looks like a shape of an eye is similar to the 3D appearance of my drawing of Jesus. Thing is, the drawing isn't computer enhanced. When the picture emerged onto the screen like that after I printed the picture of the drawing, it overwhelmed me. I wish I could show you in person to prove that my drawing isn't computer enhanced.

smallson wrote:

Hope your having a good week!

My week was ok, could have been a little better energy-wise, but can't complain. I took a drive on Saturday and watched the Superbowl yesterday. Had fun this weekend.
Hope you had a nice weekend. And have a great week!

Love,
Yvettester

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 2:43AM #126
butterflynews11
Hey Smallson, here's a video that I think you'll be interested in! Let me know your take on it. If you watch some of the other videos that's on the right column, what do you think of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx54wZL85Fs

Hope the weather is better now. I heard that the NE States got blasted again, but not sure if Ontario was affected. Try to keep warm, my brother, ok?

Love you,
Yvette
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 11:22PM #127
smallson

butterflynews11 wrote:

Hey Smallson, here's a video that I think you'll be interested in! Let me know your take on it. If you watch some of the other videos that's on the right column, what do you think of them?

Hope the weather is better now. I heard that the NE States got blasted again, but not sure if Ontario was affected. Try to keep warm, my brother, ok?

Love you,
Yvette

Hi Yvette!

The weather got warmer here by the end of the week.I'm keeping warm, thanks.Alot of next week is suppost to reach above freezing for daily highs.

I watched the Kim Clement video and some others by him.My opinion? Well, I don't want to offend you (so please don't take this the wrong way), but to me he seems pretty flakey.Atleast that is my impression so far.Alot of what he sais doesn't seem to ring true for me, so I'm not to comftorable with him.But I don't trust the anti-prophetic dummies that plauge You Tube either.Quite often the church responds to the prophetic with either the religious spirit (like the person debating with you) or with flakiness.I stumbled across some videos of Bishop George Bloomer after I looked at some Clement video's (he's a very powerfull black preacher, who sometimes prophesies).

I'm hoping to respond to your other comments tommorro, since it is getting late.Hope your having a good week.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 11:22PM #128
smallson

butterflynews11 wrote:

Love you,
Yvette

Hi Yvette!

The weather got warmer here by the end of the week.I'm keeping warm, thanks.Alot of next week is suppost to reach above freezing for daily highs.

I watched the Kim Clement video and some others by him.My opinion? Well, I don't want to offend you (so please don't take this the wrong way), but to me he seems pretty flakey.Atleast that is my impression so far.Alot of what he sais doesn't seem to ring true for me, so I'm not to comftorable with him.But I don't trust the anti-prophetic dummies that plauge You Tube either.Quite often the church responds to the prophetic with either the religious spirit (like the person debating with you) or with flakiness.I stumbled across some videos of Bishop George Bloomer after I looked at some Clement video's (he's a very powerfull black preacher, who sometimes prophesies).

I'm hoping to respond to your other comments tommorro, since it is getting late.Hope your having a good week.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 11:01PM #129
smallson
Hi again Yvette!

(I wrote a short post last night.).

On the global warming thing, there are atleast two views.The most popular view sais that pollution has caused global warming and it will continue unless we "save the planet".The other less popular view sais that the earth goes through natural cycles, back and forth between global cooling and global warming.I believe this later view to be the correct one.

The scientist I heard on tv claimed that in his life time, he had lived through three climate changes.I can't remember the exact dates he gave, so I'll do this roughly from memory.I think he said there was a global cooling period from sometime in the 1940's until sometime in the 1980's.Then sometime in the 1980's to somewhere around 2000 or so, he said the earth returned to global warming.Then sometime around 2000 or so we have returned to global cooling.He also claimed that these same global cooling/global warming cycles happen to other planets in the solar systym.And he clamied (last year) that in the previous winter, Antartica had the biggest measurement of ice since it was first measured.

Back in the 1970's most scientists believed we were in global cooling (which was true at the time) and like your biology teacher they thought we were headed for another ice age.But things warmed up again (in contradiction to there future claims) and eventually the scientific community clued in to the warming trend.And like before they have taken the truth about the global average temperature and exaggerated the future.(All Gore's movie was pretty convincing to me on the evidence of global warming, but I always found his future claims to be doubtfull).Things appear to be cooling again, perhaps an inconvient truth that All Gore failed to mention in his movie.

I hope your right about Kurt Cobain (about him being with God).I'm not shure either way, but he had a place in his heart for God and the seed of the gospel was planted in his life.

I'll have to check out those Jefferson Starship songs you mentioned and see what I think.Not shure if I've heard of the Jealousy song of Natalie Merchant either.

Here's something a bit different for music this time.Here is a link that gives several songs of early rock & roll (rockabilly, surf, 60's garage, etc), mingled with a bit of "roots music" like blues, gospel, and Hank Williams.Theres even some crooners and a marching tune in the mix.Can't say I care for the Paul Robeson tune.Anyway, hear is the link:

http://reverendfrost.blogspot.com/2005/ … treet.html

To hear the music in the above link, just click a song in the part that sais "Holy Radio".You can always skip over any song you don't like.Whenever you skip to another tune, the former tracks fades out into the new track.There's the od song in the mix that is pretty suggestive, so it doesn't always live up to it's name of "Holy Radio".

There's alot of songs to listen to or try, so hear are  8 of my highlights from the song mix:

1. Papa George Lightfoot - When the Saints Go Marching In (A killer electric blues version, with a brutal gospelised vocal style)

2. Bo Diddley - Who May Your Lover Be (Hear some rockabilly influence, though he gives it a more authentic African American bluesy feel).

3. Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was the Night, Cold Was The Ground (A blues recording from the late 20's.The title of this song is also the title of a Dr. Watts hymn tune and has been covered by different secular srtists).

4. Elder Charles Beck - Gabriel (A Pentecostal style black gospel recording from the late 30's, which has some very Jazzy horns and some faint piano playing.The tune borders closely on rock & roll.

5. Bunker Hill - Red Riding Hood & The Wolf (A very Pentecostal-gospel inspired approach at soul music, with it's brutal vocal style.

6. The Chips - Rubber Biscuit (A rocking, jazzy tune with some doo-wop vocals)

7.Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five - ? (Not shure of the song title and the lyrics arn't the best.It's about a fortune teller.But the music is killer and is unique for Jordan with it's calypso flavour.An extremely influential artist that rubbed off on both early rock &roll, Jamaican ska, and James Brown).

8. Peter Ivers - In Heaven (Sounds like a lady singing to me.Not shure what to call it, but it sounds interesting)

PS. Hopelly I didn't get to carried away with my comments last night.Hopefully my impression of Kim Clement is wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 12:31PM #130
DAH54
If you edit the < and replace it wit a [ and also edit the > and replace it with a ] you will achieve the original effect in most cases. For hyper links pleas use, [noparse]Music Clips and Videos pt. 1[/noparse] which will display as Music Clips and Videos pt. 1

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 13 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook