Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Blended Confirmation Classes
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 6:44PM #11
AFskypilot
The churches in our area do not exactly have blended classes, primarily because of the distance involved.  But the church camp does offer a special confirmation weekend once every three weeks to discuss one of the parts of the catechism.  It seems to be pretty well attended.  But this program is really designed to be supplemental to what the individual congregations are already doing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 7:29PM #12
DustyLady
I attended grades K-6 in a Lutheran day school, and so got a good dose of religious training as part of the regular curriculum.  Then we moved to a large church, where I was one of 33 in my confirmation class.  I remember the pastor was one of those old Fire & Brimstone Lutheran preachers (to borrow from benotafraid), and I was more than a little afraid of him.  But, deep down, he was an excellent pastor and one of the finest men I have ever known.  I do remember, that in a Sunday school of over 100 children, the confirmation class were the only ones to have speaking parts in the annual Christmas pageant. 

I remember that we had a very active youth program, led by an extremely dynamic DCE.  I think that contributed as much to my understanding of what it meant to be a Lutheran and what it meant to be a communicant member of the church.  From the beginning, I was always very aware of what it meant to be kneeling there before the altar. 

Dusty
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 10:28PM #13
AFskypilot
Just a slight correction to my previous post.   The camp offers the retreats once every couple of months.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 11:29PM #14
li47
My daughter's confirmation class was a combined Lutheran/Anglican class. We are in a small community, and our Lutheran pastor served the local Anglican congregation as well as ours for several years. Combining made the class a nice size for all of the kids. The actual confirmations took place in the kids' own churches in seperate services.

I liked it, partly because my daughter had just started middle school, and I wanted to encourage her friendship with a pair of twins (really nice girls) from the Anglican congregation who she was getting to know at school. I figured that an opportunity to share a faith based activity could only be good for all of them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 9:37AM #15
PXSeeker
My last congregation paired our suburban kids up with candidates from an inner city parish.  It really works well and helps both groups learn first-hand what "those people" are really like.

A true learning experience.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook