Page 14 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
10 months ago  ::  Feb 27, 2014 - 8:20AM #131
Dutch777

Spooks or kooks?

You decide.

www.news.yahoo.com/video/training-more-e...

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Feb 27, 2014 - 8:39AM #132
Jupiter6208
I believe anything's possible. There's a lot that we don't know and very little that we do know and much that we think we know.
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Feb 27, 2014 - 11:59AM #133
Stumbler

I haven't experienced anything demonic but I've heard and read credible accounts of people who have, and I've spoken to people whom I trust who've been directly involved in such things. Malachi Martin's book Hostage to the Devil is as chilling, and yet believable, account of demonic possession as anything you're likely to read on the subject. Obviously, demonic influence can't be confirmed by repeatable experiments, but why would anyone expect it to?

If God exists, he's an incorporeal person. If one incorporeal person is possible, more than one are possible. There's no logical principle that says that all persons other than God must be corporeal. I can see why a physicalist would--indeed must--reject God, angels, and demons, but I don't see why someone who believes God does exist would find the existence of angels and demons absurd.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Feb 28, 2014 - 6:55AM #134
Nino0814

Jesus was reported to have said, "be wise as serpents but as gentle as lambs".   Many interpret that to mean you should understand the ways of evil enough to out maneuver it.

Exorcism is part of the ancient Christian tradition and history, as it is of most religions that extend back to that period.  Christians attend church and hear the gospel that reports event of Jesus' time, and they learn about exorcism.  What should the Church do when people present themselves for help with the demonic? 

First I see an opportunity to help them.  It would be worse to send them away with a skeptical "wave of the hand".  Depending on what is being presented, a complete examination of the person's problem should be evaluated by medical and pyschological professionals.   I believe this is the RCC's protocol.  

Even in the article only 1% who are coming forward are believed by the RCC to possibly be demonically possesed.  Therefore it is highly likley that the ritual will at best provide temporary relief, but the problem will present itself again (as the gospel stories also predict). 

I do not think the Church is wrong for continuing this practice if the person is capable of understanding the likely natural cause of their condition, but also elects to receive the special prayers of the Church.  This person must be an adult, and have the capacity to understand the practice and the likely medical / psychological cause. 

At no time should the Church practice exorcism on children or those unprepared to understand that the source of their problem is probably something else (which is a good number within the 99% coming foward).  Otherwise the rite will leave them without hope of a cure, and worse, believing that even God could not help them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Mar 02, 2014 - 4:24PM #135
Stumbler

A few years ago, a pretty bad movie was made, called The Rite, based on a book of similar name, The Rite: Making of a Modern Exorcist, by Matt Baglio. The movie was bad but the book is pretty good. It describes the resistance of many within the RCC to exorcism and demonic influence, which they find embarrassing. Baglio himself, an American, started out in this camp.

Most important, it describes the training he received, and the range of different kinds of cases. It's indeed true that in the vast majority of cases, exorcisms is only considered when psychiatric diagnosis and treatment have come up empty-handed. And even so, Baglio concedes that there are some cases that just look like stubborn mental disorders. But he describes the various tests that are used to discern whether it's the "real thing"--acknowledging that these tests are fallible.

The Malachi Martin book describes cases that can only be described as terrifying. It's one of the most frightening books I've ever read. The Baglio book includes some cases best described as banal. The two books together form a useful binocular look at the phenomena. It's hard to know what to make of it all, but in my judgment neither book is the record of a naive religious wingnut.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Mar 27, 2014 - 8:58AM #136
Dutch777

OK gang ---

On today's "Spooks Or Kooks" agenda: what is the most un-Anglican-Ethos thing you can think of ?

How about this meaty morsel of enforced sameness from North Korea ?

www.news.yahoo.com/video/hairy-situation...

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Mar 27, 2014 - 10:05AM #137
Jupiter6208

It's a false story.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 months ago  ::  Apr 11, 2014 - 4:34PM #138
Dutch777

Since we're traipsing through the land of kooks and spooks, I just can't let this Iowa campaign ad go by without an honorable mention.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=drurdxb-EJA

Seems the folks in the red states really do things differently.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 14 of 14  •  Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14