Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Conn. Conf. of Bishops OK Morning After Pill
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 3:36PM #31
cove52
Mare--I think the physical sexual maturity of a boy or girl has alot to do with ethnicity.  It ranges from child to child.  Look at the recent news story about the teacher running away with her 13 year old student.  Or the teacher a few years ago who had a baby by her 13 year old lover.  I think their relationship started when he was 12.
"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 11:51AM #32
Mckinli
[QUOTE=Prajna;9807]While I am fan of abortion I think this is a 'good', for lack of a better word, idea.  I could never imagine being raped and having to give birth to my rapists 'baby.'   I think it would cause more "harm" in the end.[/QUOTE]

Hi Prajna -
I have a close friend who got pregnant from a rape (as rare as that is, or so I am told).  She decided to keep the baby, and it's the best decision she's ever made.  He is HER baby, not her rapist's baby.  I think it would have caused her more psychological trauma to know she killed someone (which is how she would have perceived the abortion - I'm not making any judgment calls on the debate personally), on top of being raped.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 4:15AM #33
etsryan
it isn't the child's fault that a rape occurred.  why should the child have to pay for it with the ultimate sacrifice?  their life.  i have no children and many other women would love to have a child - even if the circumstances of the conception aren't perfect.  the baby isn't just the rapist's.  the child is the mother's and God's, too.  keep this in mind.  i am very disappointed to hear bishops are approving something that can kill a new life.

Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
e.t./sue  ><>* :D (:
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
e.t./sue ><:> *:D (: + 
Yesh!  www.muttscomics.com
www.chesterton.org
American Chesterton Society Conference-usually in St Paul, MN Mid-June, but the 2009 Conference is scheduled Aug. 6-8 in Seattle, WA - you go, West Coast...
Some of what Gilbert K. Chesterton says:
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"I agree with the realistic Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy after the event."  (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you."
"If there were no God, there would be no atheists."
"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God."
"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."
"You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution."
"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
"There are some desires that are not desirable."
"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."
"Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man."
"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 3:37PM #34
Mareczku
I am pro-life.  I think emergency contraception is OK in this case because I do not think the rapist's sperm have any rights.  I don't think that the woman should be forced to have the rapist's sperm fertilize her eggs.  Rape is not a unitive act.  This should be done right away though.  If a woman is six months pregnant for example the child must be taken into consideration but in this case there is no child yet.  It is especially important if a young girl who is too young to safely carry a child is raped.  Should the rapist's sperm be given precedence over a young girl's life and health?  This is why it is important that rape victims receive immediate medical treatment.

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2008 - 11:20PM #35
rjak134
[QUOTE=Mareczku;230069]I am pro-life.  I think emergency contraception is OK in this case because I do not think the rapist's sperm have any rights.  I don't think that the woman should be forced to have the rapist's sperm fertilize her eggs.  Rape is not a unitive act.  This should be done right away though.  If a woman is six months pregnant for example the child must be taken into consideration but in this case there is no child yet.  It is especially important if a young girl who is too young to safely carry a child is raped.  Should the rapist's sperm be given precedence over a young girl's life and health?  This is why it is important that rape victims receive immediate medical treatment.

Peace - Mareczku[/QUOTE]

If that were all that emergency contraception entailed, then I would likely be in full agreement with you on this issue.  However, it is a fact that, if an egg is fertilized (i.e. a new person) but not yet implanted, the morning after pill can prevent implantation, thereby killing the child.  Consequently, the morning after pill, although designed to be an emergency contraception method, may turn out to work as an abortifacient.  Because of this, the Connecticut bishops were very wrong to give the OK for the morning after pill.  We may certainly hope, of course, for the day when a morning after pill that does not have this unfortunate property is developed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook