Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View What is the Vinyard Movement?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 6:49PM #21
DAH54
On behalf of the Vineyard, Thank you.  :)  I agree I believe they have some very good ideas, and the energy to put their thoughts and beliefs into practice. I believe they attempt to live the life they preach. :)

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 9:59PM #22
DAH54

mlyons619 wrote:

What Vineyard churchs are in the Las Vegas area?

Now THERE'S a place where the Vineyard needs to be planted...

Well there is Legacy Vineyard 3200 Soaring Gulls, Las Vegas, NV 89129 (702) 838-9099 and there is also [SIZE=-1]Water From The Rock Christian Fellowship, 1370 Matthew Ln, Pahrump, NV. Tel: 775-751-8449. I believe.
[/SIZE]

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2009 - 3:26PM #23
Bevo

Greetings to all Vineyardites!  After being with the Vineyard for 10 or so years, a little over a year ago I transferred back to my former Methodist church.  Why?  Because the Vineyard church went from holding to a sacramental view of the "Breaking of the Bread" (as N.T. Wright calls it) to a "Symbolism only" view.

Our church was founded by the current National Director of the Association of Vineyard churches, Bert Wagonner, and Bert very much held to a sacramental view.  But as the church grew and new pastors came on board, the church went to a symbolism only approach to the Breaking of the Bread.

In its early years, under the leadership of Bert, the church was like Methodism on steroids!  I heard Bert mentioning John Wesley's name far more often than I heard his name mentioned at my former Methodist church.  But like I said, things changed, and for me, the Breaking of the Bread is the most central act of worship in the church. 

Well, after being away for ten years, my old Methodist church has come a long way!  Our 11:00 service is very contemporary, and I haven't had to learn any new songs--I heard them all at the Vineyard.  We have a very talented Director of Music (a PhD) and he has a heart for both traditional and contemporary worship.  The worship band isn't up to most Vineyard standards, but it's not bad. 

Being a typical Methodist congregation, most folks are not very demonstrative during worship.  I sort of ease off to the side and raise my hands during worship, or kneel, etc.  Several folks have approached and thanked me for the way I worship.  Oh well...maybe I can encourage others to more engage themselves in worship.

Bert told me once the Vineyard is not a confessional movement, meaning that each Vineyard church is pretty much free to work out their own theology on issues such as the Breaking of the Bread.  That's okay.  I loved my time with the Vineyard, and on the few Sundays when for some reason the 11:00 worship is traditional, I'll ease over to the Vineyard and get my fix of worship.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2009 - 1:52AM #24
Mlyons619

Hmmm.  Sorry to hear about the changes in the Vineyard movement.

Then again, it never was the whole movement as a whole, but rather what each pastor did in his church.  If the Pastor preaches the Lord, set's the Lord's example, lives his life as the Lord would have him live it, and runs his church NOT as a place to meet on Sundays, but rather as God's home 24/7, then the Lord resides in that church, and God's people gather there. 

p.s.  At the Palos Verde Vineyard back in 96-97, the Sacrament was in no way symbolic to us.  Probably why, when we called the Holy Spirit to come fill us, our pastor would heal the sick, some of us would speak in tongues, while others would tranlate the Spirit.  Our pastor wasn't leading service, the LORD was leading...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2009 - 3:59PM #25
Bevo

Like I said, and as you have also said, the Vineyard is not a confessional church when it comes to the issue of the Breaking of the Bread.  Each church may view this act of worship as either symbolism or a sacrament.

However, if the Breaking of the Bread is exempt, then how about baptsim?  What would be the church's response should a Vineyard church begin baptising infants?  I'm assuming it would object.  But if it objects to different practices concerning baptism, then how can it not object to different practices concerning the Breaking of the Bread?

The Vineyard allows for women pastors, determined by the decision of each individual Vineyard church.  Again, on this issue it is a non-confessional movement.  I'm only trying to determine under what circumstances the Vineyard church does become a confessional movement, and what criteria it uses in dertermining what issues are and what issues are not applicable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2011 - 12:56AM #26
Theo

I attended a Vineyard Church about 12 years ago - while looking for a Charismatic Liturgical Church. When I found that, I stopped attending the Vineyard. I enjoyed the Vineyard I went to, really like the worship convensions. But was always very disappointed in the way they observed the Lord's Supper. After a while, I only attended for the worship, then went out to my car for a nap or to listen to pastor Chuch Smith on CIS radio. The pastor bored me, I only stayed because my son liked it there - at least until I found a good liturgical Church.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2011 - 10:59AM #27
steve123

The vineyard I attend on Saturday nights is awesome - Rich nathan at the columbus vineyard in ohio is fantastic.

I agree, theo, that if you like a formal liturgy, vineyard services wouldn't be for you.  For me, I get my liturgical fix on Sunday morning at a lutheran church and the saturday night services get me fantastic preaching in Rich Nathan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 7:59PM #28
Theraptureissoonerthenwethink1

I go to a Calvary Chapel church so I stay a way with the Vineyard Movement because of many reasons, with all due respect.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 2:03PM #29
steve123

I go to Vineyard Church, so with all due respect I stay away from the Calvary Chapel church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2011 - 4:18PM #30
Theo

The sad thing about the last two posts is that Calvary Chapel and the Vineyard were once basically the same thing. The founder of the Vineyard movement (John Wimber) was once affiliated with pastor Chuck Smith - the founder of the Calvary Chapel movement. Sad thing was, Chuck and John had a falling out over issues dealing with the gifts and manifestations of the Spirit... Chuck and his churches went more toward the non-charismatic side of Evangelicalism, and John and his churches went full tilt into the Chrismatic/Pentecostal side of Evangelicalism. 

Personally, I really liked the only big Calvary Chapel I've attended (Olympia WA) and I didn't much like either of the Vineyard Churches I've attended. I have attended or visited a few small Calvary Chapels... and I did not like them at all. But having said that... its nothing but personal opinion and prefferences. Frankly I am much more interested in following the Bible these days... which is why I much prefer liturgical Churches... the kind that actually read from the Bible as part of their worship services and celebrate the death and resurrection of Christ in the offering of the Eucharist. I am tired of churches that offer the Sunday Sermon as the main focus of worship, or offering feeling after God like Quakers as the main focus of their worship services. I believe that when we come together as a Church, we should come to worship and honor God... not all the other stuff Evangelicals are want to do with their Sundays.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook