Switch to Forum Live View Christians and Halloween
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 10:59PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Do you think it's OK for Christian's to celebrate Halloween? How about allowing their children to dress up in costumes and go to Halloween parties? Would it be better for Christian families to find something else to do on that day?
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2007 - 5:43PM #2
Merrill48
Originally, Halloween was a celebration of the eve of All Saints' Day, and was called All Hollows Eve, or Hallow'een. Traditonally All Saints Day celebrates not only the saints, but those who have died in the previous year.

As long as Halloween is kept in perspective, I don't find it un-Christian. What's wrong with having a little fun every now and then?

Shalom,

Merrill
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2007 - 6:31PM #3
CalKnox
Halloween is much too overblown.  As a secular and seasonable festival let people enjoy themselves. 

Remember October 31 is also Reformation Day.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 12:23PM #4
arrow_keys
Here here Cal.  Cheers with a cup of cider.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 3:24PM #5
haladir
My opinion is that Halloween is a secular "just-for-fun" celebration in which we all indulge our natural fascination with the spooky.  I think it should be primarily a kid's holiday, and don't really approve of the sexed-up adult costumes that are so popular. 

Fortunately, around here, homemade costumes are still the norm.  Based on an education program on classical mythology, she wanted to be a "dryad."  So, my wife and I crafted a tunic of green felt and sewed on artificial autumn leaves.  We made a leaf crown for her to wear on her head.  Most people thought she was "Autumn," but we had fun walking around the neighborhood.

The best costume I saw was "Toxic Waste": suspended from the wearer's shoulders was a plastic 55-gallon-drum, with green goo dripping over the side and emblazoned with a "Biohazard" sticker.

I went as an iPod to the office costume party.

There is nothing unChristian about taking part in the traditional secular dress-up festival. 

--Hal
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 3:24PM #6
haladir
My opinion is that Halloween is a secular "just-for-fun" celebration in which we all indulge our natural fascination with the spooky.  I think it should be primarily a kid's holiday, and don't really approve of the sexed-up adult costumes that are so popular. 

Fortunately, around here, homemade costumes are still the norm.  Based on an education program on classical mythology, she wanted to be a "dryad."  So, my wife and I crafted a tunic of green felt and sewed on artificial autumn leaves.  We made a leaf crown for her to wear on her head.  Most people thought she was "Autumn," but we had fun walking around the neighborhood.

The best costume I saw was "Toxic Waste": suspended from the wearer's shoulders was a plastic 55-gallon-drum, with green goo dripping over the side and emblazoned with a "Biohazard" sticker.

I went as an iPod to the office costume party.

There is nothing unChristian about taking part in the traditional secular dress-up festival. 

--Hal
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook