Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Christians and Halloween
5 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2010 - 1:48PM #31
Jupiter6208

zzzzzzz

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2010 - 12:48PM #32
Godsvesselx2

Maybe a true test on these holidays can be found in our childrens excitement. They normally exibit excitement in the things we want them to be excited about. Do they get excited about the bith of Jesus or Santa Clause? Do they get excited about the Easter Bunny or the ressurection? Do they recognise the martyred saints or look forward to dressing up as Jason from the movie Halloween. Are they excited about traditions of decoration on these holidays and except them as christian because we do them?

I over hear many parents telling there kids to behave because the Easter Bunny is watching or Santa clause is making a list and checking it twice. How about Jesus is watching?

Did you hear the story of the newly married couple? When it came time for Thanksgiving cooking the wife prepared a ham. The husband noticed she cut off the end. He asked her why and she replied that it was the way her mom did it. They called the mom and asked why and were told thats the way grandmother did it. The called grandmother and asked why she cut the end off the ham. They were told that it was because her pans were to small and to make it fit she cut the end off.

So you see that just because we did it in the past, it doesn't make it ok. There were alot of things that I did that were fun in the past but I don't want my kids doing. Just because it was fun or your parents did it doesn't make it right.

What are you teaching your kids on these holidays. The celebration on these holidays can be truely glorious as long as we are giving glory to whom glory is due.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 7:39PM #33
Revshaun

Halloween does not glorify God in any way, it is a pagan celebration. One that glorifies evil spirits at that! Common sense should tell us, this is not for us. It may seem harmless but is actually a gauge of where we are in our relationship with the Lord. If you think Halloween is okay, you have not experienced a full conversion to Christ. The Holy Spirit helps us discern evil from good, and evil things will put a bad taste in your mouth. If we truly believe in the majesty of God, that He is our wonderful creator, why would we celebrate anything that does not offer Him gratitude. Every other celebration is of the world. The world is in dominion of satan. Do not mix with pagan celebrations or suffer the same fate as the Israelites. God's wrath!! Read your Bible, God Bless!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 7:50PM #34
Revshaun

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2010 - 11:29AM #35
Raindown

Mar 20, 2009 -- 1:26PM, quineli8486 wrote:

If Christians should stop halloween, they need to seriously consider revising Christmas and Easter as well. Christmas is celebrated in december with the traditions we use only because of pagans. They were trying to counter the popularity of the winter solstice. same goes for easter it's a blatantly pagan holiday that chritians cover up. I am christian, we have fund dressing up for Halloween and getting candy ( my kid was monnie mouse). I enjoy christmas and Easter and celebrate them religiously, but i'm not gonna be a hypocrite and say one thing is bad becasue of it origins when we have plenty of other holidays with the same origins.

Amen!  If a person thinks they should not celebrate Halloween because of pagan origin. I hope they will not be hypocrites, picking and choosing between holidays. Many things in our culture have pagan origin: Calender, weddings, wedding rings, jewelry, honeymoon, etc.  Do your research, pray and decide for yourself.

www.seiyaku.com/customs/rings.html

Personally, I see nothing wrong in celebrating holidays. I think Jesus set us free and we have Christian liberty in things such as these. Paul teaches idol gods do not exist. One cannot honor or worship something they do not believe exists.

1 cor 8:4So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.7But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

I think another thing that helped me realize it isn't the origin, but, instead, the intention and frame of mind, is God didnt ban His people from borrowing from pagans.

That teaches me it's the heart or intention of the person. He allowed The Tabernacle to be constructed of material of pagan origin. Jesus died on a pagan cross. The word Hades is the name of the Greek god of the head and is also a place of the dead in Greek mythology. There are many examples where God used something with bad origin. God is a reader of hearts. He knows our intentions and our thoughts. As we dress our children up for a day of make believe and candy, are we honoring false gods? No, I know I'm not. I honor Christ in all things.

Romans 14:4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

I'm not trying to change the minds of those who abstain from celebrating, but please do not judge fellow Christians who choose to celebrate. It is a personal decision and has nothing to do with Salvation.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel…just pray it’s not a train!-unknown
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2010 - 11:47AM #36
Raindown

Nov 1, 2009 -- 1:33AM, Eve510 wrote:

So let me get this straight, if it is not in the Holy Bible, then we should not celebrate the occasion......independence day, memorial day, labor day, shall I keep going?  Parents make their child's decisions to better their lives, but why deny them the experience.  Some of you had enjoyed Halloween as kids, but know I'm a grown up and that's wrong.  Your parents allowed it, so does that make them Pagans and not Christians? 

As a baby Christian, I fell into the trap of Christian legalism. I didn't fully understand or comprehend Grace. It is a long process, and one many Christians struggle with for years. It is better to pray for them and hope they are eventually set free.

Question: "What does the Bible say about legalism? How can a Christian avoid falling into the trap of legalism?"

Answer:
The word “legalism” does not occur in the Bible. It is a term Christians use to describe a doctrinal position emphasizing a system of rules and regulations for achieving both salvation and spiritual growth. Legalists believe in and demand a strict literal adherence to rules and regulations. Doctrinally, it is a position essentially opposed to grace. Those who hold a legalistic position often fail to see the real purpose for law, especially the purpose of the Old Testament law of Moses, which is to be our “schoolmaster” or “tutor” to bring us to Christ (Galatians 3:24).

Even true believers can be legalistic. We are instructed, rather, to be gracious to one another: “Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters” (Romans 14:1). Sadly, there are those who feel so strongly about non-essential doctrines that they will run others out of their fellowship, not even allowing the expression of another viewpoint. That, too, is legalism. Many legalistic believers today make the error of demanding unqualified adherence to their own biblical interpretations and even to their own traditions. For example, there are those who feel that to be spiritual one must simply avoid tobacco, alcoholic beverages, dancing, movies, etc. The truth is that avoiding these things is no guarantee of spirituality.

The apostle Paul warns us of legalism in Colossians 2:20-23: “Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: ‘Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!’? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.” Legalists may appear to be righteous and spiritual, but legalism ultimately fails to accomplish God’s purposes because it is an outward performance instead of an inward change.

To avoid falling into the trap of legalism, we can start by holding fast to the words of the apostle John, “For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ” (John 1:17) and remembering to be gracious, especially to our brothers and sisters in Christ. “Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand” (Romans 14:4). “You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat” (Romans 14:10).

www.gotquestions.org/Bible-Christian-leg...

There is a light at the end of every tunnel…just pray it’s not a train!-unknown
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook