Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Christians and Halloween
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 10:58PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Do you think it's OK for Christian's to celebrate Halloween? How about allowing their children to dress up in costumes and go to Halloween parties? Would it be better for Christian families to find something else to do on that day?
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 9:38PM #2
mtrinity
I do not think it is ok for christians to celebrate halloween. It may seem as a harmless holiday, but it does portray evil in a funny or humurous form.
We are told by the Apostle Paul to Abstain from all appearance of evil.
1 Thessolonians 5: 22
I no longer celebrate halloween and I teach my children the same as it does have ghosts and goblins and it is an old pegan holiday.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 3:17PM #3
Called2serv
I agree.

I think the best approach to any of these kinds of practices, is to ask, "Does this in any way glorify God?"  If it doesn't then why would we as followers of Christ even want to do it?

Seek to glorify God in all things.

mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 3:31PM #4
hortonthrockmorton
I'm not sure that going to Valentine's Day dances or drinking green beer on St. Paddy's day is explicitly glorifying God either, but neither are they denigrating God.

Same with Halloween.  It's 99% harmless.

The Bible tells us not to be fearful.  I wish the anti-Halloween crowd would take that to heart.  Almost all of what the anti-Halloween crowd thinks they know about Halloween is wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2007 - 7:09PM #5
nevillenosher
It' a great fun time for kids and for the young at heart.  Of the various pagan holidays we celebrate in our society I would say Halloween is my fave, although summer solstice comes a close second.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 12:43AM #6
lily4God
When I was a child, I always loved Halloween. I loved the scary things, and dressing up, and trick or treating (what kid doesn't like bags and bags of free candy?!) Now that I am older, however, I don't believe Halloween is as harmless as I once thought. It is still a fun time of year if I choose to celebrate it, but I don't really celebrate it anymore (I won't at all once I move into my own place). When I have children, they will not celebrate it either....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 8:06PM #7
hortonthrockmorton
[QUOTE=lily4God;18415] When I have children, they will not celebrate it either....[/QUOTE]

Why would you deprive your children of something you just said that you loved as a child?

Halloween really is quite harmless.  Most of what you have heard about it is probably wrong.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2008 - 1:46PM #8
Bob10
My christian tradition keeps the holidays of the Bible.

The Thread - God's Appointments With History, by Ronald L. Dart

You know that the two most important holidays throughout the Christian world are Easter and Christmas. But did you know that neither of these days is found observed anywhere in the Bible?

Few have understood The Thread that runs from the beginning of the Bible to the end of the New Testament. When God acted in history, there events commonly took place at “appointed” times.  All of these appointed times of God took on names and customs which were related to the important events in history.

Traditional beliefs say that the festivals came in with the old covenant and went out with the cross. But as you follow The Thread, there is good reason to doubt that. The feasts we find in the Bible are transcendent, and from the very beginning were pointed, not so much at Israel’s history, but at the much overlooked work and ministry of Jesus Christ in history. This is a book you will read again and again and give to others. You will gain understanding of how each holy day points to Christ and impacts your life.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2008 - 5:13PM #9
BibleStudent
There are two ordinances the New Testament explicitly tells Christians who have "conscecrated" their life to the Lord to observe, one is their public confession of faith, water immersion, and two, the Lord's Supper, to commerate His great Sacrafice at Calvary. Of course dictates of one's conscience should be allowed where scripture is not blatantly violated, yet halloween with it's dark celtic, and druidic undertones may be best left alone, depending on the "light" we have revealed to us by God's Spirit, ..."shed abroad in our hearts."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 10:47PM #10
BFLVA
I came across this thread very late, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in anyway.  To my best recollection, Halloween is a christian holiday, and although it has pagan influence. (as does Christmas, Thank a pagan next time you decorate your Christmas tree or deck your halls).  Halloween is All Hallows Eve.  The eve before All Saints Day.  Here is some history for ya

The Origin of Halloween: From Pagan to Christian
Other historians trace the origin of Halloween back to the ancient and enduring Christian tradition of celebrating the lives of Christian martyrs on the anniversaries of their deaths. When Pope Boniface IV reconsecrated the Pantheon in Rome on May 13, 609 AD, renaming it the “Church of St. Mary and the Martyrs,” he established that anniversary as a day of celebratory remembrance for all of the Church’s martyrs. Pope Gregory III later changed the date of remembrance to November 1 when he dedicated a chapel in St. Peter’s Basilica to “all saints.” November 1 became All Saints Day, otherwise known as All Hallow’s Day. The night before became All Hallow’s Eve (“Halloween” being a colloquial contraction of that phrase). While Halloween began as a localized celebration, Pope Gregory IV extended its observance to all of Christendom in the 9th Century AD.

As Christianity spread throughout the world, pagan holidays were either Christianized or forgotten. Samhain was absorbed into Halloween. Costumes and gifts and bobbing for apples were preserved, incorporated into the new holiday. They remain a celebrated part of Halloween to this day, many centuries later.

The above sited from the website below

http://www.allaboutpopularissues.org/or … loween.htm

Just a thought.....
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook