Switch to Forum Live View What do you like about your church?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 3:32PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
What do you like about your church? Please share your wonderful stories with us.
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2007 - 9:32PM #2
MennoMom
There are several things I love about my church. Mainly, the fact that they try to obey whatever the Bible says to do, whether or not it is the norm in today's society or not. Obedience to God is the most important thing. For example modest dress, the women's prayer covering, feet washing, ect are not practiced by many churches, yet plainly are commands in the scriptures. Another thing I appreciate about my church is the love that is shown. I had never experienced love like this before coming to the Mennonite church. I have a large family now as they have become family to me & I am like family to them as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2008 - 3:13PM #3
Mitsy1
I'm not Mennonite but I have friends who are and I occasionally attend their Mennonite church.  I normally attend a Primitive Baptist church (different from Southern Baptist).  I also have friends and relatives who are Witnesses and I've visited their services several times.  I don't have any desire to convert to another denomination but I have enjoyed visiting different church groups over the years.  I have been exposed to many different denominations and am thankful for the opportunity to learn about someone's faith.

I consider my Mennonite friends sort of "role models" for me as they do not seem to ever be angry at God or question Him about things in life when things seem to go wrong.  That has been something I've admired about the Mennonite faith.  Also, one of the sisters sews dresses for me as I am a conservative dresser (always have been) and can wear these to my own church (have gotten compliments on them) and to any other church services I might attend.

I enjoyed your testimony about converting and also the photos.

Paula (alias Mitsy)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2008 - 12:15AM #4
MennoMom
[QUOTE=Mitsy1;223327]I'm not Mennonite but I have friends who are and I occasionally attend their Mennonite church.  I normally attend a Primitive Baptist church (different from Southern Baptist).  I also have friends and relatives who are Witnesses and I've visited their services several times.  I don't have any desire to convert to another denomination but I have enjoyed visiting different church groups over the years.  I have been exposed to many different denominations and am thankful for the opportunity to learn about someone's faith.

I consider my Mennonite friends sort of "role models" for me as they do not seem to ever be angry at God or question Him about things in life when things seem to go wrong.  That has been something I've admired about the Mennonite faith.  Also, one of the sisters sews dresses for me as I am a conservative dresser (always have been) and can wear these to my own church (have gotten compliments on them) and to any other church services I might attend.

I enjoyed your testimony about converting and also the photos.

Paula (alias Mitsy)[/QUOTE]

When you said you have friends & relatives who are Witnesses, did you mean they are Jehovah's Witnesses? If so, that's quite a coincidence as I was raised a JW from the time I was 7 years old. I left at age 34 when I began to pray & read the Bible for myself.  I'm glad I found this group again. I had posted on it awhile back, then couldn't remember how to get to it!  LOL
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2008 - 10:00AM #5
Mitsy1
Yes, I have an aunt and 2 cousins who are Jehovah's Witnesses.  I also have some close friends who are in the JW faith.  There are things about their faith that I don't agree with.  I personally believe a person's spirit is very much alive upon death.  I can't go along with the JW belief that the soul is dead or asleep until Christ returns.  I know some 7th Day Adventist people who also believe in that same type of "soul sleep" and I can't go along with that.  I have researched a lot about the "holidays" that the Witness people do not celebrate.  When I was growing up, I felt sorry for my cousins who were not allowed to have birthday or Christmas gifts.  Several years ago, I started doing my own research on this subject and found that many worldly holidays indeed are Pagan in origin.  I think a lot of church groups are not aware of this or choose to ignore it.  I still participate in Christmas as far as my immediate family is concerned because they don't want to hear my views on some of those issues.  However, I don't get caught up in the hype because I think the world of retail has pushed the Christmas holiday.  Not too many people get up in arms if you tell them you don't do Halloween, but they look at you like you have 3 heads if you tell them that you don't really get into Christmas either. 

Anyway, that is one thing I do have in common with the Witness people.  However, I see the Mennonite lifestyle as a much simpler way to live and there are elements about the faith that I truly think are wonderful.  I admire the sewing abilities and the cooking skills of my Mennonite friends.  I never learned to sew and am not a good cook.  I'm single and have never had a husband to cook for.  I dated the wrong guy for a number of years but am now seeing a decent guy who treats me well.  I don't feel short-changed because I never married and had children, but I sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if I had found someone decent in my younger years.  Being around my Mennonite friends brings me a sense of calm that I can't quite explain.  Maybe that in itself is proof of them being a Christian witness to others.  Most people in our town think highly of the Mennonite people.  We also have some Amish folks, but they don't usually "mix" much with the rest of us.  I work at W-Mart part-time and have had to help a few, but most don't chit-chit with the associates.  I think maybe one time I had a woman who was friendly and talked very normal with me, but most act like we are worldly sinners.  At least that is my impression of some of the Amish.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough.  I hope we can keep in contact.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook