Switch to Forum Live View Tell us about your church
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 2:47PM #1
Beliefnetsabee
What do you like about your church? Please share your wonderful stories with us.
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2007 - 11:11AM #2
seaotter2
In her book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of the Christian Science church (officially named the Church of Christ, Scientist), defined church as follows:

"Church.  The structure of Truth and Love;  whatever rests upon and proceeds from divine Principle.
   The Church is that institution, which affords proof of its utility and is found elevating the race, rousing the dormant understanding from material beliefs to the apprehension of spiritual ideas and the demonstration of divine Science, thereby casting out devils, or error, and healing the sick."

I love this sense of church - it goes far beyond a place, a building, a group of people, a particular service.  My church has and continues to rouse my dormant understanding and promote my apprehension of spiritual ideas.  This has blessed me with many healings of all types of situations.  I've recorded a few of these healings here: http://www.thechristheals.com/testimoni … aling.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2008 - 12:55AM #3
cruise01
What I love about "my" church is that it is ongoing, every day. I can practice every day what I learn - and in that sense it's not really a "religion" but more a way of living. I love that everyone is equal, that no one is seen as having any more access to God than another - that we all have equal opportunity to understand God. I love that what I learn from church is practical - practical ways to improve my understanding and experience of God. I love that the reason for the church is to help others. I love that our church has Wednesday night testimony meetings where people can tell others about healings they've had through the study of Christian Science. I find these meetings incredibly inspiring. I love that the church is open to everyone, a home for everyone!
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 months ago  ::  Jul 13, 2014 - 4:21PM #4
Courtenay

As a Christian Scientist, I love the sheer simplicity of my church as an organisation. Jesus, after all, didn’t leave his followers with any list of instructions for how to run a church. He didn’t specify any type of building or how it should be decorated. He didn’t designate any special roles or positions of authority. He didn’t establish any creeds or write out reams of rules and regulations to follow. He simply expected his followers to do what he did - to love as he loved, to heal as he healed, and to find the same oneness with our Father that he had. And as he said, "Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matt. 18:20)

That’s what I love about the Church of Christ, Scientist. Its individual branch churches are all emphatically self-governing and democratic, while being united as a worldwide movement through The Mother Church, the denomination’s headquarters in Boston. In our branch churches, everyone is equal and all members have their say in the running of the church. There’s no hierarchy or ordination, no ritual and no dogma. I also love the fact that there is no personal preaching - no human authority telling people what to think and what to do. All the teaching in our services comes directly and entirely from the Bible and from Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, the book that the church’s founder, Mary Baker Eddy, wrote to explain the Science, or universal divine law, that the Bible reveals.

I'll continue in another post so as not to make this one too long...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 months ago  ::  Jul 13, 2014 - 4:21PM #5
Courtenay

(Continued)

Being able to come together every week in this way, to share fellowship with others who are following this same spiritual path, is one of the greatest privileges and blessings in my life. I’d like to share one special example of what my church has done for me. A few years ago, I was attending the annual Thanksgiving service at the Christian Science Society where I’m now a member. I was feeling quite unwell that day and was struggling to find any inspiration in the service at all. Afterwards, while we were having refreshments (which I felt too ill to join in with), I confided in a friend there, who simply sat down next to me and silently supported me in prayer. Within a minute, all the sick feeling was completely gone, and I was able to join in the celebrations with great joy and gratitude to God!

There was a sequel to this experience, too. The following Wednesday, I attended that church’s testimony meeting - where those in the congregation share healings and inspiring experiences they’ve had through their practice of Christian Science - and gave thanks for my healing. To my amazement, three others there each shared how they, too, had had healings at that same service or the one before it! A church that heals - that’s so full of Christly love and inspiration that people’s lives are transformed just by taking part in it… that’s what I love about my church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 months ago  ::  Jul 14, 2014 - 7:54PM #6
Cls
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook