Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2007 - 6:04PM #1
ShirleyGoodness
How do Christian Scientist's feel about medication? And is it alright to go to the doctor when you are ill?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 4:53PM #2
Verndigger

ShirleyGoodness wrote:

How do Christian Scientist's feel about medication? And is it alright to go to the doctor when you are ill?

Hi Shirley; as a student of CS for 7+ decades, I can give you my own thoughts about this.

Christian Science teaches that Jesus came to show us that we could depend totally on God for all our needs, including physical healing.

Thus, Christian Scientists generally choose prayer as their approach to healing.

They do this because they tried it and it worked, thus they feel they can depend on God for healing.

BUT, Christian Science is like mathematics, you have to learn it step by step; and we would not expect someone just learning the multiplication tables to be able to solve a calculus problem.

so a Christian Scientist's approach to a physical problem would be first to pray for themselves; if this does not resolve the situation, to enlist the aid of a Christian Science practitioner, someone who heals through prayer.

and at some point, if the problem continues,  an individual may turn to the medical.

it all depends on our level of understanding of and faith in God, who is omnipotent and omnipresent.

mixing the two approaches does not work, since they take opposite stands on what needs healing, and how to heal.

Jesus never used medicine, and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, explains how to heal as Jesus did, and as he told his disciples then and now, to do.  [[see John 14:12]

you can read Science and Health to find out more about this,  here http://www.spirituality.com/dt/toc_sh.jhtml

regards,

Vern :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 5:00PM #3
Verndigger
Also, you can find  a local Christian Science Reading Room, where you  can read our weekly periodical the Christian Science Sentinel, which contains testimonies of healing, and articles showing the workings of Christian Science. 

look in the phone book to find one, or do a search at http://www.tfccs.com/resources/readingroom.jhtml  to find the nearest one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2007 - 11:22AM #4
seaotter2
[QUOTE=ShirleyGoodness;271]How do Christian Scientist's feel about medication? And is it alright to go to the doctor when you are ill?[/QUOTE]

Hi Shirley,
Chrisitian Scientists are proving that God is the most powerful and effective medicine.  One can never overdose on this divine medicine and it always has wonderful side effects (like character regeneration)!

That said, Christian Scientists are Christian and do not judge or condemn anyone that feels that their immediate human need, for whatever reason, can be best met by a doctor or a material drug.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 12:43AM #5
crackerjackprac
[QUOTE=seaotter2;114713]Hi Shirley,
Chrisitian Scientists are proving that God is the most powerful and effective medicine.  One can never overdose on this divine medicine and it always has wonderful side effects (like character regeneration)!

That said, Christian Scientists are Christian and do not judge or condemn anyone that feels that their immediate human need, for whatever reason, can be best met by a doctor or a material drug.[/QUOTE]

Hi there Shirley!
While I do understand what the others are saying, about being Christian and that we don't judge other individuals and their understanding of Christian Science.  I do wish to make a clairification that I believe is very important with regards to this question.  The Teachings of Christian Science do not support any use of the Medicine that I belive you are speaking of what so ever!  Mrs. Eddy the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science did state in her textbook "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures" in her chapter called "Science, Theology and Medicine", on page 142:25-12
Please note: The bolded words are actually paragraph headings and they should be ouside the text, also they were not written by Mrs. Eddy but they were approved by her for being included!!

MEDICINE

Which was first, Mind or medicine? If Mind was
27        first and self-existent, then Mind, not matter, must have
          been the first medicine. God being All-in-                                     Question of
          all, He made medicine; but that medicine was                precedence
30        Mind. It could not have been matter, which departs
          from the nature and character of Mind, God. Truth
1        is God's remedy for error of every kind, and Truth de-
          stroys only what is untrue. Hence the fact that, to-day,
3        as yesterday, Christ casts out evils and heals the
          sick.
             It is plain that God does not employ drugs or hygiene,
6        nor provide them for human use; else Jesus would have
          recommended and employed them in his heal-               Methods
          ing. The sick are more deplorably lost than                                     rejected
9        the sinning, if the sick cannot rely on God for help and
          the sinning can. The divine Mind never called matter
          medicine, and matter required a material and human be-
12        lief before it could be considered as medicine.

So I think that this should shed some light from the Teachings perspective towards your questionings.  I also encourage you to take a perusal of or to read the entire chapter of "Science, Theology, Medicine" either in the textbook in physical form or on the web in an on-line form.  The above is just a quick snippet from that chapter and I know Mrs. Eddy and the Teachings have alot more to say on the subject!

I hope that this clarification is helpful!  As a student of Christian Science of almost 30 years, I of course can tell you that I have been free of the use of any Medicine since I came into this religion at the age of 12 and have choosen to apply the Teachings of Science in all my experiences and these teachings have never failed to work for me when I have applied them in accordance with what they teach!!

Much Love,

Michael
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 11:04PM #6
THSWarrior
Having been raised in Science I am very much aware of the reasons for and the great importance of the Manual of The Mother Church, and all the rest of the important dogma.  So please do not waste your time reminding us that the official CS "line" stopped after the passing of our Leader.

It is my opinion, and that of others raised in CS, that the only reason the official line stopped is because Mary Baker Eddy passed on and thus has not published any new editions of S&H, for well over a century now. 

In any event, it occured to me (at a very tender age) that, in the early to mid-1800s when CS was discovered and when the (first) edition of S&H was written by our Leader Mary Baker Eddy, the collective human understanding and practice of medicine, as well as all available medications, medical procedures and everything else now associated therewith, was not much more advanced than what had been called witchcraft not too long before. Blood-letting to relieve headaches? Please.

This line of reasoning often leads me to speculate as to what Mrs. Eddy might say (or do) today about occasional use of some bland but effective chemical(s) that always relax the human body and slow the incessant chatter of the human brain, and otherwise induce somewhat of an "altered" state of relatively pain-free, more peaceful coinciousness that just may enable or facilitate clear-headed thinking about such wonderful things as the Truth that God Is All, in All, as most if not all CS adherents still affirm.

Your thoughts? 

THS
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 2:10AM #7
cenimo
So if a person who is not "in" Christian Science but was interested, but had some kind of medical condition that has them constantly on meds, then what?

I've read some of the literature mentioned here and find it interesting, but have always wondered about this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 2:10AM #8
cenimo
So if a person who is not "in" Christian Science but was interested, but had some kind of medical condition that has them constantly on meds, then what?

I've read some of the literature mentioned here and find it interesting, but have always wondered about this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 10:28AM #9
Seeking_Truth_and_God
[QUOTE=cenimo;638294]So if a person who is not "in" Christian Science but was interested, but had some kind of medical condition that has them constantly on meds, then what?

I've read some of the literature mentioned here and find it interesting, but have always wondered about this.[/QUOTE]

Since I am fairly new to CS I will relate my perceptions as I have discovered them so far. Those of you that have better information are welcome to correct me or expand on the subject.

As a beginner no one expects you to automatically know all of the doctrines or to embrace them immediately. There are not a lot of rules I would classify as doctrine so CS is like basic Christianity in that you are not burdened with much "religion". Faith works just fine without excessive rules and rituals.
With that in mind, a beginner may not realize how simple it is to bypass medicine and simply heal or avoid harm by mind, faith, will or what ever word you want to use. It is simply connecting with the power of God.

There are things that are easily permissible in CS. Sometimes you need someone to document your physical condition such as if you want a pilot's license. I don't think this is any problem. An examination for eyeglasses or setting a bone, which I have heard called mechanical assistance are not actually frowned on but that might vary with personal opinion. Then we get to the point where Mind is most important. Drugs are highly undesirable and are really a last resort if they are ever needed at all. From the CS perspective they are in conflict with God's healing power. From my personal point of view I add that on the physical level they tend to cause more problems than they claim to cure. They are not the way to true healing. Any drug that inhibits the mind is counterproductive. How does one use the power of mind if the mind is shackled and suppressed. I include alcohol in this and others include caffeine.

The part I am not clear on is surgery. It seems to vary with the particular situation. Something like taking care of an ingrown toe nail seems to be OK but I am pretty sure brains surgery is out of the question. I will let someone else fill you in on this diverse subtopic. As for me I believe it is unwanted and unneeded.

In all, as a beginner no one will expect you to stop your antibiotics or expect your cast to fall off on its own so I doubt you would be rebuked for not rejecting treatment as you learn. On the other hand once you know the truth of what is possible you will probably not want or need the assistance of a doctor so it won't be an issue.
This is a beginner's overview from a beginner. I could be wrong at any point so let's see what the more experienced people have to say.
STAG
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 10:42AM #10
Seeking_Truth_and_God
"This line of reasoning often leads me to speculate as to what Mrs. Eddy might say (or do) today about occasional use of some bland but effective chemical(s) that always relax the human body and slow the incessant chatter of the human brain, and otherwise induce somewhat of an "altered" state of relatively pain-free, more peaceful coinciousness that just may enable or facilitate clear-headed thinking about such wonderful things as the Truth that God Is All, in All, as most if not all CS adherents still affirm."

For what I perceive by this paragraph, I think there would be no change in the church doctrine at all. What I read is that you consider mind altering drugs as "bland". Regardless of the sales pitch you might receive regarding such poisons, I find them to be the very Evil that we seek to nullify. Regardless of what others may say I find they are repulsive to mind and God. These drugs are neither bland nor helpful. They are destructive.
STAG
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook