Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
7 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2007 - 11:19AM #1
Beliefnetsabee
Welcome! Please tell us about yourself.
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2007 - 9:11AM #2
kazb
Well, I will give this a try.  New boards look nice and once I finally figure out how to navigate around here I think I am going to like it.  Still working on that project. 

I am Karen. I am in the Washington, DC area and am an elder in my church here.  Most of my Bnet time is spent hosting (that's how I got in early) over on the Sexual Orientation Discussion boards, but I have to drop by here every so often.  I look forward to seeing people as folks find their way over here. 

Karen
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 2:51PM #3
Beliefnetsabee
Hi there Karen. It's so nice to meet you over here. Have I told you lately how much I enjoy working with you?  :)
I always remember that for every word typed there is a real person sitting behind the keyboard.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 2:07PM #4
Christianlib
I hope the few DOC who post can find their way to this new forum.

I'm in Indianapolis, an Elder in my church, and a lay employee of one of the General Ministries of the Disciples.  I'm a 4th generation Disciple, and a voracious reader of both fiction and non-fiction.  Though not seminary trained, I enjoy reading and studying theology, Bible commentary, and similar works.  Some of them I actually find to be other than impenetrably dense.
Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 3:07PM #5
BlueReiver
Hello, I am ordained clergy in the Great Commonwealth of Kentucky. I too enjoy reading and studying- particularly ethics.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 3:34PM #6
Christianlib
There was supposed to be a Smiley in my post.  (sheepish grin)
Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 7:40AM #7
sola1scriptura
[QUOTE=kazb;213]I am Karen. I am in the Washington, DC area and am an elder in my church here. [/QUOTE]

I have a question for members of the Disciples of Christ. Given the Biblical qualifications of an elder (1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-9), by what authority could a woman be appointed as an elder? Thank you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 1:07PM #8
BlueReiver
Sola1Scriptura,

The patriarchal nature of the first century gives us plenty of reason to discount the male pronouns and language as a cultural issue rather than a propositional command not to mention the fact that there is sufficient biblical evidence that women were in fact leaders in the early church. (examples Philippians 4:2, Acts 16:14-15, Romans 16 which mentions several women as leaders and co-workers.)  Just as many of the command given in Leviticus and Deuteronomy centuries before are cultural rather than what God wills. For instance in Deut 22:28-29 scripture tells me that if a man rapes my daughter “the man who lay with her shall give fifty shekels of silver to the young woman’s father, and she shall become his wife.” I am to sell my daughter to a rapist for silver? What is more “Because he violated her, he shall not be permitted to divorce her as long as he lives.” Surely, you would not suggest that the God of love; the God that came to us and was crucified for our sake on the cross really commanded such a thing.

We no longer live in an age when women are seen as property, less than men, or servants to men. Thanks be to God!   

I will throw the question back at you: by what authority, do we as the creation have the right to limit whom the creator can use in his (I use his here for lack of a better pronoun) ministry. Why can God, the master, creator and sustainer or the universe not speak just as clearly and authoritatively through a woman?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 1:07PM #9
BlueReiver
Sola1Scriptura,

The patriarchal nature of the first century gives us plenty of reason to discount the male pronouns and language as a cultural issue rather than a propositional command not to mention the fact that there is sufficient biblical evidence that women were in fact leaders in the early church. (examples Philippians 4:2, Acts 16:14-15, Romans 16 which mentions several women as leaders and co-workers.)  Just as many of the command given in Leviticus and Deuteronomy centuries before are cultural rather than what God wills. For instance in Deut 22:28-29 scripture tells me that if a man rapes my daughter “the man who lay with her shall give fifty shekels of silver to the young woman’s father, and she shall become his wife.” I am to sell my daughter to a rapist for silver? What is more “Because he violated her, he shall not be permitted to divorce her as long as he lives.” Surely, you would not suggest that the God of love; the God that came to us and was crucified for our sake on the cross really commanded such a thing.

We no longer live in an age when women are seen as property, less than men, or servants to men. Thanks be to God!   

I will throw the question back at you: by what authority, do we as the creation have the right to limit whom the creator can use in his (I use his here for lack of a better pronoun) ministry. Why can God, the master, creator and sustainer or the universe not speak just as clearly and authoritatively through a woman?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 4:01PM #10
BlueReiver
That should be "why can God; the master, the creator, and the sustainer of the universe; not speak just as clearly and authoritatively through a woman?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook