Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Unhappy with church service
7 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2007 - 9:51PM #1
ShirleyGoodness
I'm Baptist but I no longer feel comfortable going to our church. I don’t enjoy the service because it’s so noisy. I love when the choir sings the old hymns but don’t like the new modern ones. The pastor dancing in the pulpit annoys me. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 10:37PM #2
mom-6
Don't know about your town, but around here Baptist churches are quite prevalent.

We have a population of around 8,000 people and off the top of my head I can think of at least 6 Baptist churches, serving the three primary ethnic groups we have...First, Central, Walnut Street, Macedonia, St. John's, Emanuel. 

So you should be able to find one whose worship service is more to your liking.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 10:37PM #3
mom-6
Don't know about your town, but around here Baptist churches are quite prevalent.

We have a population of around 8,000 people and off the top of my head I can think of at least 6 Baptist churches, serving the three primary ethnic groups we have...First, Central, Walnut Street, Macedonia, St. John's, Emanuel. 

So you should be able to find one whose worship service is more to your liking.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 12:24PM #4
miami-ted
Hello Shirley,

Yea, music can be one of the most devisive issues after theological doctrine.  From my own personal experience music can sometimes trump theological doctrine in importance to an individual.  I came to know and trust the Lord Jesus at a church in Miami that worshipped with middle road contemporary music and I enjoyed it immensely.  My spirit was quickened and I felt peace within my soul.  However, the powers that be in the senior minister position and others immediately below that rank decided to go out to California and hear all about the Purpose Driven Church.  It caused quite a stir in the beginning as there were many who felt that Rick Warren and his guide were somehow not to their liking.  I have never read any of the purpose books, nor to the best of my knowledge any of Rick's other titles and don't worry that I have missed out on anything, but I say that to explain that I am speaking from  lack of knowledge about his writing.  However, it seems that from that very beginning the direction of our church did change from a church that explained and taught the clear, humble message of salvation through Christ, to a 3 ring circus of sorts whose goal was to appear attractive to all people.  The pastor began using all sorts of nifty little props and analogies in his message.  The music went way over to the today rock contemporary style.  The choir was effectively replaced with a show band and I never felt really comfortable sitting in the auditorium again.

Where we used to be a group of believers with hands held high singing praises to the Lord with an earnest heart; we were now a group of believers who rarely knew the words or melody of the music being played.  I remember looking around the auditorium in the early days and nearly everyone was singing praises and you could just feel a closeness to God through music and most everyone participated.    Before I left Miami and on trips back I still worship there, but as I look around the auditorium today while the music is blaring rock concert loud from huge booming speakers and the 'choir' consists of  a couple of guitar players a bass guitar and drummer and keyboardist the people in the auditorium, for the most part now, stand there like robots watching a performance of certainly godly music, but they aren't participating.  Few know the melody of the songs and fewer still the words and because it is played as loud rock music, even when you are able to sing you can't hear yourself or others sing.

I left as far as my regular place of worship and my knew home of believers is all the way over to the other side, which is to say that we sing the hum-drum hymms of the standard baptist hymnal and I find them, for the most part terribly boring and I look around the auditorium and while there are people singing they really don't seem to feel the words they are saying.  I long for a church with middle of the road contemporary music with an updated music program, but not rock and roll appeal to the 13-20 year age group.  However, given the choice, I choose the older music with the clear truth of the gospel as the teaching over the way newer music with the same teaching.

God bless you.  Remember that the bible, God's word, never asks us to attend any particular church.  It only asks that we not forsake the fellowship of the believers and as far as I'm concerned, while there is a period of adjusment leaving the church where we may have spent many wonderful years; after a year or two at a new church you will more than likely feel just as comfortable and maybe even more so at another church.  Pray and visit some churches in your area and see what God has to say to you.

IN Christ, Ted.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 4:17PM #5
OnewayOneLord
Hello Shirley,

there is nothing wrong with prayerfully searching out another church in which you feel more comfortable.

In Christ,
OWOL
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 7:08AM #6
Drwhite
[QUOTE=OnewayOneLord;20120]Hello Shirley,

there is nothing wrong with prayerfully searching out another church in which you feel more comfortable.

In Christ,
OWOL[/QUOTE]

Nor is there anything wrong with finding like minded individuals in the congregation, clubbing together and make changes. Whose church is it? It belongs to the membership and not to the pastor. If you don't like what the pastor is doing, express it. Makes changes. No one ever said that you have to be unhappy in your own church!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 9:12PM #7
haggaion

DrWhite wrote:

Nor is there anything wrong with finding like minded individuals in the congregation, clubbing together and make changes. Whose church is it? It belongs to the membership and not to the pastor. If you don't like what the pastor is doing, express it. Makes changes. No one ever said that you have to be unhappy in your own church!

OK as long as the clubbing together does not mean clubbing the pastor. If you have a problem with the music, you need first to go to the pastor and express your feelings. Find out why he is doing what he is doing. Does the Elders agree with him?

But one thing you don't need to do is start a revolt aiming at the threat of splitting the church. It is not your church, it is God's.

Personally, I might not appreciate the style of music during worship, but it is very important to understand the purpose of why the leadership has decided to move in that direction.

And that is where your argument would be most powerful, or weak.

If the purpose of the music is to glorify God and the next generation is enabled to do so through the new style, then I would drop it. If there is just a change due to personal preference of the pastor, without any greater purpose, or if there is a purpose but without any results, then, in my opinion, you should point that out to the leadership.

Haggaion

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 2:17PM #8
Drwhite
[QUOTE=haggaion;59943]OK as long as the clubbing together does not mean clubbing the pastor. If you have a problem with the music, you need first to go to the pastor and express your feelings. Find out why he is doing what he is doing. Does the Elders agree with him?

[/QUOTE]

No, don't club together and club the pastor. Silly me to think that someone would take that literally. LOL!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2007 - 2:13PM #9
ittakestime
[QUOTE=ShirleyGoodness;50]I'm Baptist but I no longer feel comfortable going to our church. I don
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2007 - 5:09PM #10
precious.odyssey
I may be wrong but I think she was expressing concern with more than the music. It's only my opinion but I think if I felt truly uncomfortable in my church I would pray about it, speak with the pastor, and perhaps prayerfully seek out another. I may be wrong but as far as the songs go her description sounds as if the choir is doing a sampling of music to please a range of parishoners. I've always gone where the sermon and pastor "spoke" more to me and my life. If that is happening I have been fortunate that the rest falls into place. If I was having difficulties spirtitually with the pastor(his message/teaching more so than his presentation) I would probably find another church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook