Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Unhappy with church service
7 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2008 - 11:30PM #31
svanscoy
i'm not so sure about the right not to feel silly when we worship... i just can't help but think of David and his "silliness" as he danced before the Ark... that was real, unrestrained, undignified (why his wife hated him), unadulterated worship... it's why God believed him a man after his own heart... i really think we (i include myself, most definitely) need to get over ourselves on this one... worship ain't about us - it's about God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 10:45AM #32
Lily05
I think everyone has the right to worship God in a way that does not feel silly to them.  If you were asked to come to church in sack cloth and ashes or stripped to underclothes for a "real worship experience" one might feel perfectly comfortable - I however would not, my worship experience would be tainted by the lack of full involvment of my heart.  If one is led to traditional hymns and quiet spiritual reflection, it is their way to worship God, and I am sure God thinks it too is good.  Sadly, I think that too many people are told that it is NOT ok to want something different than what their church is doing, so they stop going to church completely and miss out on a wonderful worship experience in a church more to their personality.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 10:45AM #33
Lily05
I think everyone has the right to worship God in a way that does not feel silly to them.  If you were asked to come to church in sack cloth and ashes or stripped to underclothes for a "real worship experience" one might feel perfectly comfortable - I however would not, my worship experience would be tainted by the lack of full involvment of my heart.  If one is led to traditional hymns and quiet spiritual reflection, it is their way to worship God, and I am sure God thinks it too is good.  Sadly, I think that too many people are told that it is NOT ok to want something different than what their church is doing, so they stop going to church completely and miss out on a wonderful worship experience in a church more to their personality.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 05, 2008 - 1:04AM #34
smc93
[QUOTE=svanscoy;469201]i'm not so sure about the right not to feel silly when we worship... i just can't help but think of David and his "silliness" as he danced before the Ark... that was real, unrestrained, undignified (why his wife hated him), unadulterated worship... it's why God believed him a man after his own heart... i really think we (i include myself, most definitely) need to get over ourselves on this one... worship ain't about us - it's about God.[/QUOTE]

Psalm 34.1-3  "I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. 
My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. 
O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together."

Yep, it sure ain't about us one little bit!!!  :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 11:55PM #35
svanscoy
yeah... it's a decidedly American way of seeing things - our obsession with rights
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2008 - 1:52AM #36
imsavedru
I came from no church background.  I got saved at 18 despite my parents disapproval. Issues like this one seem trivial to me because any christian music is welcomed as far as I was concerned (though I do have personal preferences like everyone else).

Take yourself out of the picture for a moment and ask yourself:

Whether or not I like the style - Is it being sung TO God to please Him?
Whether or not I like the style - Are the words TRUTHFUL?
Whether or not I like the style - do I have an attitude of worship or am I distracted by my preferences.

I can personally worship with hymns OR something as rock and roll as Jeremy Camp's "Worthy of My Praise".

The music is not intended to please US..........but Him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 2:39PM #37
Roodog

I prefer the old hymns to the praise music that usually the same verse or two that is repeated over and over again.(Second verse,same as the first, could be better but it's gonna get worse.) The old hymns are more substansial  and is more effective in teaching doctrine than even the preaching.

As I have aged I have gotten more conservative and I don't go along with the Gospel Boogie(aka the Full Gospel Twostep) like I did when I was in my twenties.

I do however like the more casual atmosphere in dress, as long as it's decent modest and not distracting, I hate ties with a purple passion.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook