Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Christianized fitness group and diets
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2013 - 4:44PM #1
rideronthastorm
I know a few churches have exercise groups and nutritional support groups. I just wish churches had more beause I think the churches should be more involved with fitness .

I think they overlook overeating too much.

Here another topic on this. Do you feel like women nd men need to be seperated in fitness gyms? Do you feel like folks need to cover up and be modest when exercising at fitness gyms. I wear shorts and tshirt but Im too fat to promiscous but I do see women and men who walk around shirtless and pretty close to nude but maybe their more comfortable working out like that.

What about this? theres a fitness group around one in mesquite I always forget the name of it yall probably know its a fitness center for women only and they all use the same machines they all have a 30 minute workout the bell rings everyone switches machines.

Whats their name??????????Anyways I heard once that that group was involved with a prolife organization had supported it financially or some involvement. Its a Christian group.

Should they be invovled with a political group. Why doesnt the church and some of these organizations have fitness grous for men? theres 2 or 3 fitness gyms for women but not for men?

I know the answer our society is sexist when it comes to men and we excuse men fo overeating and so does the church but its not helping the men any its making it worse. It just gives them an excuse to eat themselves to death if they are morbidly obese.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2013 - 9:19PM #2
Beautiful_Dreamer

Is it Curves?

I'm not sure from religion, but our church hosts meetings from several positive organizations (AA, Weight Watchers, etc) at the behest of members of our congregation. They don't really say one way or another about workout wear or exercise regimens, but every now and then someone will start an 'exercise club' or promote a secular charitable event. Perhaps that might be a good way of bringing a church's attention to the health of its members-you or someone you know can try to get some sort of group going? I'm not sure if you have open areas where people can just take peaceful walks but we have several 'nature trails' that are great to just go and relax.

Personally I don't care if I'm in a gym with women only or women and men together, but it's been a really long time since I've been in a gym and I usually just wear shorts and a t-shirt. I know people who like women-only gyms but that doesn't have as much to do with Christian modesty so much as not liking what they look like and wanting as few members of the opposite sex to see them as possible. I've never had a problem with being hit on at a gym (another fear some have) even when I was younger and much more fit, but that is mostly because people who are at the gyms are there to work out and don't usually pay attention to much else. We only have so many hours in a day, we have to make them count!

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2013 - 4:41PM #3
Iwantamotto

rider:  Do you feel like folks need to cover up and be modest when exercising at fitness gyms.

Well, you do need ease of movement.  Otherwise, I'm not into showing off much.

But then again I'm not hot either. :P

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2013 - 5:26PM #4
rideronthastorm

Oh no I dont its just weird to me because I still think of in terms of United Pentecostal church terms when i think of stuff like this sense I havt been in a  fitness center enough sense Ive been out of the church 13 years ago ( that tells you why Im so fat i havnt exercisced enough for an ant)

Im still use to thinking in terms of old timey dress code terms when Im around gym people I know that seems strange because Ive been out of UPC for so long but its really not because I just havnt been to the gym that much it always sems strange to me to see women walking around in body suits.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2013 - 9:32PM #5
Beautiful_Dreamer

It's all a matter of personal preference...just like with quite a few other things we've discussed, it's something each Christian has to decide for themselves. If Pentecostals think it's wrong to wear shorts or whatnot in public, then it is for them. If Episcopalians or Unitarians don't care one way or another, so be it.

Frankly, I think more of the emphasis should be put on controlling one's own thoughts/reactions to what someone else is wearing than to the clothes themselves. Or, at least equal time spent. Much of the time, it's not.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2013 - 11:23AM #6
smcisaac

The only specifically Christian dietary guideline in the Bible is the edict of Jerusalem at Acts 15:19 to abstain from eating strangled animals and blood.

More broadly, there is also the view Paul expresses in I Corinthians that the body is a temple of the indwelling Holy Spirit and should be cared for accordingly.

So there is really not much to go on to justify a specifically "Christian" nutrition or weight-loss support program. Nor is there any distinctively Christian religious principle to apply to gyms (other than the same edict of Jerusalem's vague warning against sexual immorality). It's more a matter of secular health and well-being and common sense and good judgment than religious doctrine or discipline. 

Nevertheless, church congregations are social as well as religious communities, and many social activities are sponsored by churches.  There's no more reason that a church shouldn't sponsor a nutrition-support group or exercise group, than a Boy Scout troop or a knitting circle or a book club or an AA chapter.  But there is no compelling religious reason to do it either.

"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way."  Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

"Christ will regenerate all things; through Him all things will be purged, and return into eternal life. And when the Son shall deliver up the kingdom to the Father, all things will be God; that is, all things will still exist, but God will exist in them, and they will be full of Him." Fabius Manus Victorinus, c. 350 AD
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2013 - 12:14PM #7
rideronthastorm

I dis agree with you. Theres another bible scripture you for got the one that says gluttony is  asin!Sense America has an enormous shokingly huge obesity problem. The church needs to adress it the bible says its sin number 2 it also say the body is your temple.

Thats enough of a reason right there. Its sin for all these Christians to be morbidly obese. I tend to think obese folks in churches are hypocrits and i close up my ears to sermons for that reason. Christians need to get on the ball and start teaching nutrition like the 7th Day Adventists.

The 12 Step groups say an addiction is an addiction is an addiction food addiction is not any different then drug addiction,I see an obese person preacahing a sermon to me its not any different then listening to someone whos high on dope!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2013 - 2:37PM #8
smcisaac

Apr 7, 2013 -- 12:14PM, rideronthastorm wrote:

I dis agree with you. Theres another bible scripture you for got the one that says gluttony is  asin!

Please give the verse citation.  I can only find a few Old Testament verses that speak disapprovingly of gluttony, and nothing that expressly calls it a "sin".  The only mentions of "glutton" or "gluttony" that I can find in the New Testament actually mock people who accuse others of gluttony.

Sense America has an enormous shokingly huge obesity problem. The church needs to adress it

Why is that the church's job?  Yes, it's a serious problem, but it's a public health problem, not a religious problem.  It's not an issue unique to Christianity or any other specific religion.

the bible says its sin

Again, I don't see where.

number 2 it also say the body is your temple.

I did mention that.  That's St. Paul speaking in 1 Corinthians, and he's referring to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in each of us, and the general common-sense need to care for our bodies, but it doesn't specifically advise diet or nutrition or exercise as religious obligations.

Its sin for all these Christians to be morbidly obese.

I think that's an unjust and overly sweeping judgment.  Yes, some morbidly obsese people may be able to control or reverse their condition with greater self-restraint and self-discipline, yet may choose not to out of character flaws or personality disorders that we might call 'sinful'; but others have inherent metabolic or genetic or medical conditions that prevent them from being able to control their weight, no matter how hard they may try.  It's like saying it's a sin to have blonde hair, just because there happen to be some prostitutes who dye their hair artificially blonde to look more alluring.

I tend to think obese folks in churches are hypocrits and i close up my ears to sermons for that reason.

If you believe Jesus's commandment at Matthew 7:1 to "judge not, that you be not judged", isn't that being sinfully judgmental?

Christians need to get on the ball and start teaching nutrition like the 7th Day Adventists.

The SDA's do teach nutrition as a religious rather than general health principle; it's one of the doctrinal peculiarities of their denomination.  But it's a peculiarity of theirs, it's not a widely affirmed view across all Christianity.  And their religious justification for it is not the same as yours.

The 12 Step groups say an addiction is an addiction is an addiction food addiction is not any different then drug addiction,I see an obese person preacahing a sermon to me its not any different then listening to someone whos high on dope!

Churches are in the business of supporting the members of their community and doing good in the larger world.  As I said above, for both those reasons, nutrition support or exercise support groups sponsored by churches can be consistent with their mission, just like sponsoring the Boy Scouts and AA, but it is not necessary to their mission.  However, you misunderstand the role of the pastor if you think every pastor should be held to an inhuman sinless perfection.  "For," St. Paul tells us at Romans 3:23, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way."  Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

"Christ will regenerate all things; through Him all things will be purged, and return into eternal life. And when the Son shall deliver up the kingdom to the Father, all things will be God; that is, all things will still exist, but God will exist in them, and they will be full of Him." Fabius Manus Victorinus, c. 350 AD
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2013 - 6:32PM #9
rideronthastorm

Romans 16 18 uses the word for Gluttony those who serve their belly and in Phillipians Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things

There are also a bunch of scripture in the new testament  that talks about health and not making your bdy nd physical desires of any sort into an idol it can n al be considered references to foods drugs alchohol or any physical addiction.

Its not Gods will for us to be obese and if you think it is your out of your mind.

Ive dealt with 3 men in my lifetime who were weighing over 500 lbs and interested in dating me and the church had nothing to say to them about obesity or the fact that they were eating themselves to death;

instead they were more interested in setting them up with a wife when they needed to be in a hospitalized and if that happens again in the church Im going to get mean about it i tired of crap like that in the church.

People need to speak up about addictions in the church if you dont like it too bad and BTW;

I was a 7th Day Adventist for a year and your wrong they dont do it for religious reasons they do it for health reasons and being healthy is a part of the bible and its a part of being a Christian. I know thats what theyd sy about it and I maybe going back to the 7th day Adventists through 2nd Life

Ill ask them let them know you think they have absolutly no interest in healthy living whatsoever at all and well see what they have to say about that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2013 - 6:45PM #10
SeraphimR

Apr 7, 2013 -- 2:37PM, smcisaac wrote:

Apr 7, 2013 -- 12:14PM, rideronthastorm wrote:

I dis agree with you. Theres another bible scripture you for got the one that says gluttony is  asin!

Please give the verse citation.  I can only find a few Old Testament verses that speak disapprovingly of gluttony, and nothing that expressly calls it a "sin".  The only mentions of "glutton" or "gluttony" that I can find in the New Testament actually mock people who accuse others of gluttony.

Sense America has an enormous shokingly huge obesity problem. The church needs to adress it

Why is that the church's job?  Yes, it's a serious problem, but it's a public health problem, not a religious problem.  It's not an issue unique to Christianity or any other specific religion.

the bible says its sin

Again, I don't see where.

number 2 it also say the body is your temple.

I did mention that.  That's St. Paul speaking in 1 Corinthians, and he's referring to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in each of us, and the general common-sense need to care for our bodies, but it doesn't specifically advise diet or nutrition or exercise as religious obligations.

Its sin for all these Christians to be morbidly obese.

I think that's an unjust and overly sweeping judgment.  Yes, some morbidly obsese people may be able to control or reverse their condition with greater self-restraint and self-discipline, yet may choose not to out of character flaws or personality disorders that we might call 'sinful'; but others have inherent metabolic or genetic or medical conditions that prevent them from being able to control their weight, no matter how hard they may try.  It's like saying it's a sin to have blonde hair, just because there happen to be some prostitutes who dye their hair artificially blonde to look more alluring.

I tend to think obese folks in churches are hypocrits and i close up my ears to sermons for that reason.

If you believe Jesus's commandment at Matthew 7:1 to "judge not, that you be not judged", isn't that being sinfully judgmental?

Christians need to get on the ball and start teaching nutrition like the 7th Day Adventists.

The SDA's do teach nutrition as a religious rather than general health principle; it's one of the doctrinal peculiarities of their denomination.  But it's a peculiarity of theirs, it's not a widely affirmed view across all Christianity.  And their religious justification for it is not the same as yours.

Churches are in the business of supporting the members of their community and doing good in the larger world.  As I said above, for both those reasons, nutrition support or exercise support groups sponsored by churches can be consistent with their mission, just like sponsoring the Boy Scouts and AA, but it is not necessary to their mission.  However, you misunderstand the role of the pastor if you think every pastor should be held to an inhuman sinless perfection.  "For," St. Paul tells us at Romans 3:23, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Phillipians 3

18 I have told you often, and now tell you again with tears, that there are many whose lives make them the enemies of Christ’s cross. 19 Perdition is the end that awaits them, their own hungry bellies are the god they worship, their own shameful doings are their pride; their minds are set on the things of earth; 20 whereas we find our true home in heaven. It is to heaven that we look expectantly for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ to save us; 21 he will form this humbled body of ours anew, moulding it into the image of his glorified body, so effective is his power to make all things obey him.

(emphasis mine)

In NT times there was a well recognized discipline of regular fasting and Jesus recommended it.  Regular fasting has spiritual benefits and all Christian churches ought to teach it for these benefits and if weight loss occurs it is a bonus.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook