Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View hypothetical situation - first impressions
1 year ago  ::  Feb 13, 2013 - 6:13PM #1
Ironhold
Hypothetical situation.

You are attending church at a chapel - or even denomination - that isn't your own.

While in the parking lot, you see a beat up car gently sliding on into the parking lot, rather loud music blasting out of the speakers.

When the car pulls into a spot, you see the driver get out... and he's not exactly very presentable. Although he's in a shirt and a tie, something about him seems off. Maybe his clothes don't fit right, or maybe they're wrinkled. Maybe he's got a baseball cap on. Maybe he didn't shave this morning. Just... something.

The minister of the congregation informs you that this person is not only a member of the congregation, but a member who is held in very high regards for his scriptural, historical, and theological knowledge.

How would you handle it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Feb 13, 2013 - 7:28PM #2
Rgurley4

This hypo guy sounds like me!

The "CHURCH", the Body of Christ, under the duty of the "Great Commission" should reach out to all ...with all.

Hebrews 13:2
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers,
for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Feb 13, 2013 - 7:37PM #3
Mlyons619

Oh heck, Ironhold, I KNOW the guy - his name was Ted Bigley and he WAS a highly regarded lay-minister, and a mighty man of GOD!

John the Baptist BTW was not exactly a "presentable person" either!

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Feb 13, 2013 - 9:47PM #4
li47
Ironhold I don't really understand your question, maybe I'm missing something. What do you mean by "how would you handle it"?
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Feb 13, 2013 - 10:09PM #5
Ironhold

Feb 13, 2013 -- 9:47PM, li47 wrote:

Ironhold I don't really understand your question, maybe I'm missing something. What do you mean by "how would you handle it"?

"What would your reaction be?"

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Feb 14, 2013 - 1:09AM #6
Jenandew7

Feb 13, 2013 -- 6:13PM, Ironhold wrote:

Hypothetical situation.

You are attending church at a chapel - or even denomination - that isn't your own.

While in the parking lot, you see a beat up car gently sliding on into the parking lot, rather loud music blasting out of the speakers.

When the car pulls into a spot, you see the driver get out... and he's not exactly very presentable. Although he's in a shirt and a tie, something about him seems off. Maybe his clothes don't fit right, or maybe they're wrinkled. Maybe he's got a baseball cap on. Maybe he didn't shave this morning. Just... something.

The minister of the congregation informs you that this person is not only a member of the congregation, but a member who is held in very high regards for his scriptural, historical, and theological knowledge.

How would you handle it?

I wouldn't think a thing of it.  :)  Given the opportunity, I might make his acquaintance.

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Feb 14, 2013 - 1:10AM #7
Jenandew7

Feb 13, 2013 -- 7:37PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Oh heck, Ironhold, I KNOW the guy - his name was Ted Bigley and he WAS a highly regarded lay-minister, and a mighty man of GOD!

John the Baptist BTW was not exactly a "presentable person" either!

+1

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Feb 14, 2013 - 10:01AM #8
li47

"What would your reaction be?"

Ok, I understand now.

There's so much diversity among people in society these days, in pretty much any setting (schools, workplace, business...) that I don't think I'd have much of a reaction at all. I would see just another guy I guess. My own congregation runs the gamut from jeans and workshirts to shirts and ties every week, so your hypothetical member would fit right in. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Feb 15, 2013 - 1:42PM #9
Rgurley4

Trained elders should "screen" all "visitors" for safety and preservation of order.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Feb 15, 2013 - 2:04PM #10
Harry3142

My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? (James 2:1-4,NIV)

If Jesus Christ himself showed up at a church while wearing the modern-day equivalent of what he wore while he sojourned among us, how many churches would turn him away?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook