Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 11:37AM #1
SeraphimR
An article I found interesting about beer:

preachersinstitute.com/2012/12/26/did-an...
The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 1:06PM #2
Theo

I like beer - but being a diabetic I drink it rarely and sparingly. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 3:04PM #3
TemplarS

There might be a little class distinction here as well.

Then as now, I imagine beer might have been the drink of the masses, wine of the upper classes.  Most scripture would have been written by the latter.

Also, as a ritual drink, wine would be more likely to be mentioned in  a religious text.

Myself, I like a good IPA as well as a nice Cabernet...

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 4:32PM #4
Want to know

I loved beer, vodka, blended whisky, moonshine or anything containing alcohol (well almost everything. I did try straining Griffin shoe polish thru loaf bread and that didn't go over too well). Alcohol almost ruined my life, but thank God I have been sober for 16 years. I haven't had a sip of beer or anything since I stopped drinking. I don't see any harm in having a beer or a mixed drink occasionally, I just can't handle it. However there are still times I would almost give anything for a good swig.

"Now we see as through a glass, darkly but then face to face:  now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known."  I Corinthians 13:12
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 5:09PM #5
Beautiful_Dreamer

I can't stand beer, but that has nothing to do with Scripture. I hate the way it smells and tastes. I've had so-called 'flavored beer*' like Smirnoff Ice and Mike's Hard Lemonade and those are okay, but I can't drink due to some of my meds...I guess it's just as well.

*that's what it says on the labels. Check one out if you don't believe me.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 6:52PM #6
TemplarS

There are good reasons to drink in moderation.

There are good reasons to abstain.

To each his own.  I am, however, always amused by a few teetotalling sects who try to justify their abstinence by claiming that Jesus himself never drank.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 7:18PM #7
Mlyons619
...And yet they can NEVER satisfactorilly explain how Jesus drank ONLY grape juice in a time when there was no refrigeration and the ONLY way to keep juice drinks was to FERMENT them...
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 8:01PM #8
Rgurley4

This verse was given to me when I challenged my pastor to find a no-no to "sinful practices" in the Bible....like smoking, drinking, over-eating, etc.

1 Corinthians 6: 6-20...The Believer's Body Is the Lord’s

19 Or AH)">do you not know that AI)">your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that AJ)">you are not your own? 20 For AK)">you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in AL)">your body.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 8:48PM #9
TemplarS

Dec 28, 2012 -- 8:01PM, Rgurley4 wrote:

This verse was given to me when I challenged my pastor to find a no-no to "sinful practices" in the Bible....like smoking, drinking, over-eating, etc.

19 Or AH)">do you not know that AI)">your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that AJ)">you are not your own? 20 For AK)">you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in AL)">your body.

Well, okay, but there is no reason to include "drinking" in itself as sinful.

As with "over-eating", the problem is with "drinking to excess." 

Unlike smoking, there are plenty of medical studies showing health benefits of moderate drinking (say 1-2 drinks a day), so this is not in itself destructive to the Temple.

As with many other temptations in life, some folks are able to stick to the "moderation",  others are not.  So, as I said, to each his own.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 9:57PM #10
Want to know

Dec 28, 2012 -- 8:48PM, TemplarS wrote:

Dec 28, 2012 -- 8:01PM, Rgurley4 wrote:

Well, okay, but there is no reason to include "drinking" in itself as sinful.

As with "over-eating", the problem is with "drinking to excess." 

Unlike smoking, there are plenty of medical studies showing health benefits of moderate drinking (say 1-2 drinks a day), so this is not in itself destructive to the Temple.

As with many other temptations in life, some folks are able to stick to the "moderation",  others are not.  So, as I said, to each his own.  

Unlike many old recovering alcoholics I don't go around preaching against alcohol. However, if the subject comes up with someone who doesn't drink, I do advise them to never start. They just might be one of those who aren't able to stick to moderation. It's not worth taking the chance! It's the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with.

"Now we see as through a glass, darkly but then face to face:  now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known."  I Corinthians 13:12
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook