Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 11:37AM #1
SeraphimR
An article I found interesting about beer:

preachersinstitute.com/2012/12/26/did-an...
There is a hole in my heart dug deep by advertising and envy and a desire to see a thing that is new and different and beautiful. A place within me that is empty, and that I want to fill up. The hole makes me think electronics can help. And of course, they can.

They make the world easier and more enjoyable. They boost productivity and provide entertainment and information and sometimes even status. At least for a while. At least until they are obsolete. At least until they are garbage.

Mat Honan
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 1:06PM #2
Theo

I like beer - but being a diabetic I drink it rarely and sparingly. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 3:04PM #3
TemplarS

There might be a little class distinction here as well.

Then as now, I imagine beer might have been the drink of the masses, wine of the upper classes.  Most scripture would have been written by the latter.

Also, as a ritual drink, wine would be more likely to be mentioned in  a religious text.

Myself, I like a good IPA as well as a nice Cabernet...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 4:32PM #4
Want to know

I loved beer, vodka, blended whisky, moonshine or anything containing alcohol (well almost everything. I did try straining Griffin shoe polish thru loaf bread and that didn't go over too well). Alcohol almost ruined my life, but thank God I have been sober for 16 years. I haven't had a sip of beer or anything since I stopped drinking. I don't see any harm in having a beer or a mixed drink occasionally, I just can't handle it. However there are still times I would almost give anything for a good swig.

"Now we see as through a glass, darkly but then face to face:  now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known."  I Corinthians 13:12
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 5:09PM #5
Beautiful_Dreamer

I can't stand beer, but that has nothing to do with Scripture. I hate the way it smells and tastes. I've had so-called 'flavored beer*' like Smirnoff Ice and Mike's Hard Lemonade and those are okay, but I can't drink due to some of my meds...I guess it's just as well.

*that's what it says on the labels. Check one out if you don't believe me.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 6:52PM #6
TemplarS

There are good reasons to drink in moderation.

There are good reasons to abstain.

To each his own.  I am, however, always amused by a few teetotalling sects who try to justify their abstinence by claiming that Jesus himself never drank.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 7:18PM #7
Mlyons619
...And yet they can NEVER satisfactorilly explain how Jesus drank ONLY grape juice in a time when there was no refrigeration and the ONLY way to keep juice drinks was to FERMENT them...
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 8:01PM #8
Rgurley4

This verse was given to me when I challenged my pastor to find a no-no to "sinful practices" in the Bible....like smoking, drinking, over-eating, etc.

1 Corinthians 6: 6-20...The Believer's Body Is the Lord’s

19 Or AH)">do you not know that AI)">your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that AJ)">you are not your own? 20 For AK)">you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in AL)">your body.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 8:48PM #9
TemplarS

Dec 28, 2012 -- 8:01PM, Rgurley4 wrote:

This verse was given to me when I challenged my pastor to find a no-no to "sinful practices" in the Bible....like smoking, drinking, over-eating, etc.

19 Or AH)">do you not know that AI)">your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that AJ)">you are not your own? 20 For AK)">you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in AL)">your body.

Well, okay, but there is no reason to include "drinking" in itself as sinful.

As with "over-eating", the problem is with "drinking to excess." 

Unlike smoking, there are plenty of medical studies showing health benefits of moderate drinking (say 1-2 drinks a day), so this is not in itself destructive to the Temple.

As with many other temptations in life, some folks are able to stick to the "moderation",  others are not.  So, as I said, to each his own.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2012 - 9:57PM #10
Want to know

Dec 28, 2012 -- 8:48PM, TemplarS wrote:

Dec 28, 2012 -- 8:01PM, Rgurley4 wrote:

Well, okay, but there is no reason to include "drinking" in itself as sinful.

As with "over-eating", the problem is with "drinking to excess." 

Unlike smoking, there are plenty of medical studies showing health benefits of moderate drinking (say 1-2 drinks a day), so this is not in itself destructive to the Temple.

As with many other temptations in life, some folks are able to stick to the "moderation",  others are not.  So, as I said, to each his own.  

Unlike many old recovering alcoholics I don't go around preaching against alcohol. However, if the subject comes up with someone who doesn't drink, I do advise them to never start. They just might be one of those who aren't able to stick to moderation. It's not worth taking the chance! It's the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with.

"Now we see as through a glass, darkly but then face to face:  now I know in part, but then shall I know even as also I am known."  I Corinthians 13:12
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook