Switch to Forum Live View Pitfalls for Evangelical Ministers
2 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2012 - 11:25AM #1
Ironhold
link

What do you guy's think of the article?

Do you feel that the author is correct in his assumptions?

Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2012 - 12:19PM #2
Rgurley4

His was an interesting and a good analysis.

I call myself a Christ-follower...NOT a "Christian":

1. evangelical

2. fundamental

3. conservative

4. non-denominational

5. Scriptura Suprema

6. orthodox

7. etc

Most critics of "Christians" / "Christianity" should find out what those labels mean... in the real world...rather than lumping all believers in Jesus the God-Man into one "group" or "religion".

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2012 - 7:32PM #3
birwin4

I think he is right, however, there comes a time when promoters of error need to be identified and shown to be false.The trick is to do it graciously.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2012 - 9:58AM #4
Beautiful_Dreamer
That is true, birwin. Much easier said than done, though, especially if it is about something that elicits a lot of emotion or is deeply personal. But yes the effort should be made. To be honest, sometimes I don't know what Scripture says about something or don't want to start an argument. I know that's not a good thing, but I don't really know how to get out of it without sounding judgemental and 'preachy' the way I did when I was an evangelical and a 'newer' Christian.
More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2012 - 10:20AM #5
Rgurley4

How can one post on these boards...in the spirit of the Great Commission...and NOT sound "preachy-teachy"???..."Discuss Christainity" is a sword fight! My sword must be the "word of God:...The Bible. AND ...As a retired attorney, ARGUMENT comes naturally!

This is one of my favorite verses...Paul's advice to Timothy...

2 Timothy 3: 13-17(NASB)...Paul: “Difficult Times Will Come”

But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
You, (a believer) however, continue in the things you have learned
and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them,
and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings
which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
All Scripture is inspired (breathed) by God and profitable
for teaching,
for reproof,
for correction,
for training in righteousness;
so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2012 - 10:33AM #6
Rgurley4

And this evangelistic "tip" also seems appropriate...

2 Timothy 2: 14-16 (NIV1984),,,Paul: “A Workman Approved by God"

Keep reminding them (believers?) of these things.
Warn them before God against quarreling about words;
it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen.
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved,
a workman who does not need to be ashamed and
who correctly handles the word of truth.
Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2012 - 12:00PM #7
five_point_dad

The author of the article makes some very good points.  People can disagree without being disagreeable.  The best way to present your ideas, at least in my opinion, is by scriptural exegesis. 

The passage quoted by the earlier poster is certainly a good one.  We are to be a workman that needs not to be ashamed "rightly dividing the Word of Truth."  The Greek word used here is where the English term "orthodox" comes from and it means "to cut to fit," or "cut in a straight line."  (The root is used in words like "orthodonist," putting teeth into a straight line.)  It was a term used in canvas work, which is the trade Paul did.  Animal skins were often used, sewed together, to form sails of ships.  If a rip occurred in the sail, another irregular shaped skin was cut to fit the rip.  Hence, to be "orthodox" meant to interpret individual pieces of scripture to fit the whole of the Scripture.  An unorthodox person interpreted one individual passage in such a way that it didn't fit into the whole teaching, tenor, or tone of the Scripture. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook