Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
2 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2012 - 5:51PM #1
Ironhold
link

While lurking about an anti-Mormon and anti-JW website, I found the above article.

Apparently, back in 2011 a non-denominational congregation allowed the local LDS congregations to use their parking lot as an overflow area for people arriving to attend an open house for a soon-to-be-dedicated LDS temple.

The minister of the non-denominational congregation figured that if he extended such a gesture of friendship, then it would mean better relations with everyone that he could build upon later.

To the author of the article, however, this was an unforgivable sin. The author feels that because the minister didn't have people standing out there harassing the temple-goers for the duration, then he failed in his position as a minister.

The author's rhetoric is completely over-the-top and unforgiving, such that he actually refers to the temple as "the domain of darkness".

I'm still reading it, but the author remains bombastic about the matter. The guy revels in being a jerk to anyone who's Mormon, and is actually offended by the notion of using love to bring people to Christ. As far as he's concerned, when it comes to witnessing it's either a head-on confrontation or nothing at all.

The guy even delights in the prospect of standing in the streets outside a Mormon pageant to bother the people coming and going.

His ultimate conclusion about the incident? "It is nothing more than an irresponsible proselytizing partnership with the Mormons that will lead the unsuspecting to hell."

Yeah.

So my question -

Is this degree of overt hostility the norm in mainline Christianity towards those of other faiths? Or have I yet again found someone who's all talk and no walk?

I myself have personally witnessed more than a few "Good Christians" who were as hostile and confrontational as they could be when trying to "save" me and other Mormons.

But to actually read about a guy basically having a psychotic break because someone chose to use "peace and love" as a missionary tool?

Methinks that someone needs to read up on what Paul said about tinkling cymbals and sounding brass.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2012 - 6:24PM #2
SeraphimR

Nov 8, 2012 -- 5:51PM, Ironhold wrote:

link

While lurking about an anti-Mormon and anti-JW website, I found the above article.

Apparently, back in 2011 a non-denominational congregation allowed the local LDS congregations to use their parking lot as an overflow area for people arriving to attend an open house for a soon-to-be-dedicated LDS temple.

The minister of the non-denominational congregation figured that if he extended such a gesture of friendship, then it would mean better relations with everyone that he could build upon later.

To the author of the article, however, this was an unforgivable sin. The author feels that because the minister didn't have people standing out there harassing the temple-goers for the duration, then he failed in his position as a minister.

The author's rhetoric is completely over-the-top and unforgiving, such that he actually refers to the temple as "the domain of darkness".

I'm still reading it, but the author remains bombastic about the matter. The guy revels in being a jerk to anyone who's Mormon, and is actually offended by the notion of using love to bring people to Christ. As far as he's concerned, when it comes to witnessing it's either a head-on confrontation or nothing at all.

The guy even delights in the prospect of standing in the streets outside a Mormon pageant to bother the people coming and going.

His ultimate conclusion about the incident? "It is nothing more than an irresponsible proselytizing partnership with the Mormons that will lead the unsuspecting to hell."

Yeah.

So my question -

Is this degree of overt hostility the norm in mainline Christianity towards those of other faiths? Or have I yet again found someone who's all talk and no walk?

I myself have personally witnessed more than a few "Good Christians" who were as hostile and confrontational as they could be when trying to "save" me and other Mormons.

But to actually read about a guy basically having a psychotic break because someone chose to use "peace and love" as a missionary tool?

Methinks that someone needs to read up on what Paul said about tinkling cymbals and sounding brass.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yes, all the mainline Christians, and all of the other sorts of Christians, for that matter, are exactly like that guy.

You should just accept that and move on.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2012 - 8:52PM #3
li47

Is this degree of overt hostility the norm in mainline Christianity towards those of other faiths?

No.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2012 - 8:57PM #4
Theo

Okay Iron, I read the link you posted until getting bored with it - think I made it about half way through. The best way I can address this article is to say that I do not like its overall analogy, but nevertheless, I agree with some of its positions regarding Mariner's Church, in so far as it was fairly represented.

Where I to replace the head pastor of Mariners Church with myself - I would change the name of the Church - immediately. Secondly, I would never allow the Mormon Church to use the facilities of my Church as overflow parking for any event, especially any that directly promotes the Mormon Religion.

That having been said, I would also resist the grounds of my facilities being used as a staging area for fishing parties... i.e. Anti-Mormon activities. I would not want my Congregation or the Church facility directly involved in a public war of words with a neighboring Church, even a Mormon Church. I believe in being good neighbors where possible, but when dealing with a Mormon Temple next door, I would settle for being at peace, just not obliging.  

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2012 - 9:49PM #5
li47

LOL, Seraphim, I'm a teacher. I spent my whole day repeating myself to kids who asked the same question their seat mate had just asked 2 minutes earlier. A variation of this question has been asked so many times before that I just thought to myself, "I've done this enough today!" Must be a little off my game today. :-)

Moderated by Mlyons619 on Nov 09, 2012 - 02:59AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2012 - 10:24PM #6
Beautiful_Dreamer

No, not all 'mainline' Christians act like jerks. Jerks act like jerks. If someone is a rude sort, he's going to be a rude sort no matter what religion he or the other person is. 

Oh, and, where I come from, some 'non-denominationals' would throw a fit at being counted with the 'mainliners' because the whole reason they are 'non-denominational' is because they think the rest of us have everything wrong and they alone have it right.  I can see how they might be 'mainline' in comparison with Mormons, but that is not how they see themselves nor how some other 'mainliners' see them.  

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2012 - 10:42PM #7
Ironhold

Nov 9, 2012 -- 10:24PM, Beautiful_Dreamer wrote:

No, not all 'mainline' Christians act like jerks. Jerks act like jerks. If someone is a rude sort, he's going to be a rude sort no matter what religion he or the other person is. 

Oh, and, where I come from, some 'non-denominationals' would throw a fit at being counted with the 'mainliners' because the whole reason they are 'non-denominational' is because they think the rest of us have everything wrong and they alone have it right.  I can see how they might be 'mainline' in comparison with Mormons, but that is not how they see themselves nor how some other 'mainliners' see them.  

Thank you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2012 - 12:23PM #8
Iwantamotto

Yes, they were jerks.  The person who was griping shouldn't be upset that Mormons need to use another church's parking but ask why the other church didn't have a full house, :P

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2012 - 7:55AM #9
Beautiful_Dreamer

Here and back home in NC, it's not uncommon for a church to use another church's building or even 'rent out' a movie theatre or high school gym for their services. For instance, I once attended a Messianic Jewish service held in a Baptist church on Saturday morning. Some Baptists wouldn't consider them Christians* because of their use of Jewish terms and traditions...'fence sitters', I've heard them called. And yet, they still offer their building.

It's called 'hospitality'. Well, that and 'fundraising' if any money changed hands, but I'm not sure it did.

*Many MJs object to the use of the 'Christian' label as well, but that's beside the point. Visit Discuss Messianic Judaism if you want details, because they *will* give them!

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2012 - 9:23PM #10
Svetlana

I didn't read the entire article, either, but I can tell you this!  As a possible "fish" discussed by the author and his buddy, I'm extremely offended as being seen as brainless prey, and by the idea of those fatheads being upset that the Mariner's leaders didn't see fit to pounce on me as predators.  The contempt of these two men for the visitors to the temple is inexcusable.  They clearly see those visitors as stupid and easily duped, and I would have scorched their ears had I overheard them.  I would also have publicized their attitude to the crowd to prove that some of the prey fish are barracuda and not at all stupid.

No, Iron, it is fortunate that very few people on earth are as contemptible as those fatheads.  As everyone has posted, jerks are jerks all by themselves, without any regard for any group they may belong to.  Remember that your church has them too, and how outraged you'd be if anyone asked if they represented all Mormons.

I'll add, too, that although our church is so small that many of us have to park at the edge of neighboring farmers' fields, we would STILL have permitted any nearby Mormon temple to use our parking lot when we weren't filling it.  Heck, we'd probably offer to help serve refreshments.  We're Congregationalist, and fairly mainline, but as Congregationalists, we are entirely independent of any other church or its teachings, so you'd have to check with each individual congregation to see if they'd give such permission.  

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook