Switch to Forum Live View What do "Orthodox and traditional Christians" Believe?
2 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2012 - 1:56AM #1
Jcarlinbn

The following from Discuss Atheism, where it was off topic.  It seems to be relevant here.

Nov 6, 2012 -- 12:47AM, El Cid wrote:

Oct 15, 2012 -- 8:13AM, amcolph wrote:

Oct 15, 2012 -- 12:22AM, El Cid wrote:

Oct 2, 2012 -- 9:28AM, amcolph wrote:

Wow!  Where do you get this stuff? 

What religion are you, anyway?  Obviously not a Christian.  From what you post I would say you belong to one of the pseudo-Christian 'Bible-believing' fundamentalist sects.

Huh? Almost everything I have written has been orthodox Christian belief for 2000 years.

I suppose you really believe that, but now I really want to know what denomination you are.

You come here and spout all kinds of nonsense in the name of Christianity, but as a Traditional Christian I don't like it, because you give a false and unfavorable impression of Christianity to these atheists.

You ought to speak only for your weird denomination, whatever it is.

I am Presbyterian but everything I have said has been consistent with what the majority of orthodox and traditional Christians have believed for 2000 years. I don't understand why you as a tradiitional Christian think anything I have said is that strange. To me it is strange why you would say such a thing. 

Jcarlinbn, community moderator
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2012 - 2:12AM #2
JCarlin

If I may ask? I have noticed some Presbyterian Churches that seem to be Genesis literalists.  Is this typical of the denomination now?  I do not wish to discuss this, as I have nothing to discuss.  Just curious.

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2012 - 7:41PM #3
five_point_dad

Nov 6, 2012 -- 2:12AM, JCarlin wrote:

If I may ask? I have noticed some Presbyterian Churches that seem to be Genesis literalists.  Is this typical of the denomination now?  I do not wish to discuss this, as I have nothing to discuss.  Just curious.

It's not quite as easy to answer your question as you might think.  The label "Presbyterian" simply refers to a church's "elder government," as opposed to congregational rule (as baptists) or rule by bishops (as Catholics or Episcopalians).  There are many different types of Presbyterians.  The Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), the Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC), the Presbyterian and Reformed churches, and a few others would definitely hold to a literal understanding of Genesis.  I would think--and this is an educated guess on my part--that the Presbyterian Church USA and the United Presbyterian Church (UPC) would not.  I apologize in advance if I got any of those wrong.  But the answer to your question is: which Presbyterian group are you talking about?   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2012 - 1:07PM #4
Rgurley4

"orthodox" =
1. conforming to established DOCTRINE especially in religion
e.g. The Apostles' / Nicean CREED, Bible interpretation, "What we believe.."
2. Adhering to the Christian faith as expressed in the early Christian ecumenical creeds.
3. Adhering to the TRADITIONAL and established faiths, especially in religion.
4. sound or correct in opinion or doctrine

"Traditional Christianity" ? ~= that which has been practiced, with little change of spiritual doctrine. "Traditional Christianity" refuses to change their creeds or doctrines.
They continue to hold on to that which has become a "tradition" to a particular church or group.

www.williambranhamhomepage.org/traditnl....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2012 - 1:11PM #5
Aka_me

Nov 6, 2012 -- 2:12AM, JCarlin wrote:

I thought the forum was only for Christians?

deleting the post is fine, please send notification of who is doing the deleting so conversation offline is possible.

not being able to debate is one thing, employing censorship to avoid debate is beyond words.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2012 - 6:24PM #6
Beautiful_Dreamer

AKA_Me, I'm moving it to Discuss Christianity so people of all faiths can discuss.

Beautiful_Dreamer

Beliefnet Community Host, Christian to Christian Debate

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2012 - 10:09AM #7
lope

Orthodox Christianity is a moving target.  It changes depending on the times and places to which one is referring.  Orthodox for a Roman Catholic is not the same as Orthodox for Pentecostal.  Orthodox for a person who believes the Bible is dictated by God and inerrant, is different from a person who believes Jesus taught with symbols and parables that were not about the literal words being used.  Like the word heretic, I have observed that for many these words simply mean someone does not agree with their view.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2012 - 10:34AM #8
Adelphe

Orthodox Christianity is simply the ecumenical Nicene Creed and all its implications.  From there, there are three major Christian traditions and within those denominations certain orthodox beliefs above and beyond the Creed, practices, and/or customs.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2012 - 1:14PM #9
sonnymoon42

Nov 15, 2012 -- 10:34AM, Adelphe wrote:

Orthodox Christianity is simply the ecumenical Nicene Creed and all its implications.  From there, there are three major Christian traditions and within those denominations certain orthodox beliefs above and beyond the Creed, practices, and/or customs.

Yup, I would say that about sums it up. Below is the version I remember from the Catholic mass:

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
Maker of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.

Through him all things were made.

For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.

On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.

With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.

He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook