2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 7:55PM #1
slc_225
Is this book, "Not A Fan", about following Jesus Christ in good deeds _only_, or is the reader also called to godly living?

Recently, when I mailed in my order for "Not A Fan", I was excited and couldn't wait to read it. However, after doing my homework by reading some customer comments online, I became concerned and cancelled my order. I got the impression from some of the customers who read and reviewed "Not A Fan", that this book is all about following Jesus in good works, and if that's true, where does that leave godliness, holiness, righteousness, and living a sanctified life in Jesus? I know that as a born again disciple of Jesus, I am created for good works, and that faith without works is dead. But what good are good works if they are not balanced by a godly lifestyle? I can't help but think that this mindset of being a follower of Jesus Christ in good works only, if indeed that is what the book is all about, could have the potential of making false converts out of people who call themselves followers; people who believe that as long as they are doing good works, they can sin all they want and not pay the consequences.....ever. But how many followers will someday say, "Lord, Lord!", and instead of hearing, "Well done, my good and faithful servant", they will hear, "Depart from me, you worker of sin. I never knew you". The thought of that happening to anyone absolutely _terrifies_ me.

I understand, having seen the television show, that "Not A Fan" is about coming down off the sidelines, getting onto the playing field, and into the game. My question is, "How can someone get in the game if they're not even on the _team_?" And by that I mean surrendered to Jesus Christ in godliness and righteous living. Perhaps the question is not "fan" or "follower", but saved or self-deceived. I should know. I used to be a self deceived, false convert, but mercifully, the Lord Jesus Christ delivered me from that old life.

I realize, not having read the book, that I could be completely wrong here, but never before have I had such reservations about a book, nor such uneasiness in my spirit. Is there someplace online where I could read it for free? Money's tight and my library does not have this book anywhere in the county where I live.

Please understand that I am not trying to anger any of you out there who are fans of the "Not A Fan" book. I simply have some concerns, that's all. If you would, please give me your best defense as to why I should or should not read "Not A Fan". I am interested in hearing from both sides. Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 2:19AM #2
Estacia

Only you can awnser that question read the book.

You are allowed to like something when others don't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 10:34AM #3
Beautiful_Dreamer

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to read something, Christian or not.  It's not as though there will be a 'test' later on the book!:) Seriously, though, if it troubles your spirit, don't read it and don't concern yourself with what others think.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook