Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View CA Teacher Will Lower Grade of Any Student Who Says God Bless You
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 7:03AM #1
jesusfreakgal
www.examiner.com/article/ca-teacher-will... 

Aparently, if you have this teacher, and say 'God bless you' you automatically lose 25 points off your grade, which is extremely high.  His reasoning has to do with sneezing, and how we not longer believe that we are dispelling evil spirits out of the body when we sneeze, so saying God bless you (which I believe was to help get rid of the evil spirits) no longer makes sense. The trouble is, I know someone who says God bless you more then just when someone sneezes. The problem here is that his reasoning make so that other students of other religions can say somewhat similar phrases (essentially other religions version of God bless you), since no other religion has a phrase like this to say when someone sneezes, which, in the end I find someone prejudice. I also feel personally, that this teacher is overstepping his authority. First, becuse saying God bless you (when someone sneezes anyway) doesn't mean enough to offend people. I know people, including a few atheists who would not remotely be bothered if I said God bless you when they sneezed. Aside from not getting a lower grade, this reminds me of my grade 10 science teacher, who had a problem with people saying 'hell' in class, even (when someone asked) if they were taking about heaven and hell. Her response to that question was actually 'don't say that.'  What do you think? Do you think this teacher is overstepping his boundries?

JFG
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 11:30AM #2
Ironhold

If true, then the teacher has just set himself and the school district up for a massive lawsuit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 8:22AM #3
smcisaac

That won't last long.

"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way."  Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

"Christ will regenerate all things; through Him all things will be purged, and return into eternal life. And when the Son shall deliver up the kingdom to the Father, all things will be God; that is, all things will still exist, but God will exist in them, and they will be full of Him." Fabius Manus Victorinus, c. 350 AD
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 10:01AM #4
SeraphimR

May 15, 2012 -- 8:22AM, smcisaac wrote:

That won't last long.

Don't be so sure.  Permitting students to say "God bless you" might be construed as a violation of the seperation of Church and State.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 12:31PM #5
jesusfreakgal

True, but then couldn't a student silently reading their bible on their lunch hour also be considered the same thing? And I am sure that wouldn't go over too well.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 1:40PM #6
voice-crying

Violation of freedom of speech. Lawyer, lawyer, lawyer!!!

What's really wrong with: Steve Cuckovich???

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 5:23PM #7
Iwantamotto

If you only say "Bless you", do you only get 8.33 points taken off?

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 6:58PM #8
SeraphimR

May 15, 2012 -- 1:40PM, voice-crying wrote:

Public school students don't have a right of free speech in school.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 9:29PM #9
Beautiful_Dreamer

This teacher is waaaaaay overstepping his bounds. Saying 'God bless you' or 'bless you' when someone sneezes is practically automatic...I seriously doubt his students even know what the phrase was supposed to mean before, much less think about it enough to be offended. Or to to be trying to offend someone else.  It's almost meaningless nowadays, so why should he make such a big deal over it?

And don't public schools have *enough* problems these days without adding this to the mix? It must be really nice to have the kind of life where you don't have anything more to worry about than what people say when you sneeze!

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 1:59PM #10
voice-crying

May 15, 2012 -- 6:58PM, SeraphimR wrote:

May 15, 2012 -- 1:40PM, voice-crying wrote:

Public school students don't have a right of free speech in school.

Are you suggesting that what children are taught by their parents become void when they enter the ("Public school") classroom?

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook