Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View CA Teacher Will Lower Grade of Any Student Who Says God Bless You
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 11:57PM #11
CometintheSky

May 14, 2012 -- 7:03AM, jesusfreakgal wrote:

www.examiner.com/article/ca-teacher-will... 

Aparently, if you have this teacher, and say 'God bless you' you automatically lose 25 points off your grade, which is extremely high.  His reasoning has to do with sneezing, and how we not longer believe that we are dispelling evil spirits out of the body when we sneeze, so saying God bless you (which I believe was to help get rid of the evil spirits) no longer makes sense. The trouble is, I know someone who says God bless you more then just when someone sneezes. The problem here is that his reasoning make so that other students of other religions can say somewhat similar phrases (essentially other religions version of God bless you), since no other religion has a phrase like this to say when someone sneezes, which, in the end I find someone prejudice. I also feel personally, that this teacher is overstepping his authority. First, becuse saying God bless you (when someone sneezes anyway) doesn't mean enough to offend people. I know people, including a few atheists who would not remotely be bothered if I said God bless you when they sneezed. Aside from not getting a lower grade, this reminds me of my grade 10 science teacher, who had a problem with people saying 'hell' in class, even (when someone asked) if they were taking about heaven and hell. Her response to that question was actually 'don't say that.'  What do you think? Do you think this teacher is overstepping his boundries?

JFG

The teacher is most definitely overstepping his bounds, which is due to the fact of, being polite and good mannered, a person would say to the person who sneezed, God bless you, which of course has nothing to do with the 25 points regarding the students grade. The teacher was in the wrong to dock the student the 25 points, regardless of the reasons the teacher had about the God bless you phrase. Also, the student had the freedom of speech and the teacher had no right to take the freedom of speech away from the student, whatsoever.

The teacher should be reported to the principal of the school in regards to the freedom of speech and the docking of the 25 points off the students grade, which in truth had nothing to do with the God bless you phrase, whatsoever. Also the teacher should be reprimanded for doing what he did, and to make a public apology  in front of the principal and the students in the class. Also, he would have to promise to  never do what he had done ever again. If the teacher breaks his promise and does it again or something similar to it, after being given one chance to not do so again, the principal should fire the teacher immediately.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 8:32PM #12
jesusfreakgal

If this (students not having free speech in school) bis true, couldn't that mean a teacher could impose any consequence (within reason) what a student says just about anything? I mean wouldn't a teacher who may dislike/ hate Christianity have the right to/ be allowed to decide that any student he/ she hears even mention God/ Christianity, even if outside the classro?om could result in a detension or a lowered grade? Sheesh! Also, if it is true that students in public school don't have free speech than that (IMO) could mean that rules parents have at home could be overridden, in some cases upsetting parents, couldn't it?

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 8:38PM #13
SeraphimR

May 16, 2012 -- 1:59PM, voice-crying wrote:

May 15, 2012 -- 6:58PM, SeraphimR wrote:

May 15, 2012 -- 1:40PM, voice-crying wrote:

Violation of freedom of speech. Lawyer, lawyer, lawyer!!!

What's really wrong with: Steve Cuckovich???

Public school students don't have a right of free speech in school.

Are you suggesting that what children are taught by their parents become void when they enter the ("Public school") classroom?

Something like that.

Public schools are for indoctrination.

Support home schooling.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 1:17PM #14
voice-crying

Jun 8, 2012 -- 8:38PM, SeraphimR wrote:

May 16, 2012 -- 1:59PM, voice-crying wrote:

May 15, 2012 -- 6:58PM, SeraphimR wrote:

May 15, 2012 -- 1:40PM, voice-crying wrote:

Violation of freedom of speech. Lawyer, lawyer, lawyer!!!

What's really wrong with: Steve Cuckovich???

Public school students don't have a right of free speech in school.

Are you suggesting that what children are taught by their parents become void when they enter the ("Public school") classroom?

Something like that.

Public schools are for indoctrination.

Support home schooling.

My youngest daughter home schooled her three children and they all went on to college; but, not all parents are equipped to teach their kids at home.  

In my opinion; Mr. Cuckovich should not be teaching human beings. He is the problem...not the public school system. If he's still in the classroom I'd like to petition all of his students to say: GOD BLESS YOU! Every time they enter his class room.   

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook