Switch to Forum Live View PA church kidnaps own youth group
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 11:19AM #1
Ironhold
link

Reportedly, the pastor wanted to train them for what it would be like to be missionaries outside of the US by having an off-duty cop and a retired soldier barge in during a youth activity, wave around a real gun, and force the kids into a van, upon which they were driven to the pastor's house and interrogated.

The pastor has no idea at all why anyone would be upset with him, and has stated that he intends to continue the practice, albeit with parental notice in advance.

Guy's just lucky there were no real fatalities from the incident.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:54PM #2
Beautiful_Dreamer

If I had kids and someone tried to pull a stunt like this, I would hit the roof. I don't get mad and fuss at people very often, but this is a *definite* exception. That is *completely* unacceptable, and I have to wonder what would make any pastor/youth group leader think this sort of thing is okay...even *with* parental consent.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 11:12PM #3
Ironhold

If anyone tried it here in Texas, at least one of the perpetrators would be dead, if not all of them.

Concealed carry is forbidden in churches, but I'd lay good odds that most churches in the state have somebody, be it a cowboy, service member, or someone else, who happens to be sporting a good utility knife or two.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:51PM #4
Roodog

Mar 26, 2012 -- 11:19AM, Ironhold wrote:

link

Reportedly, the pastor wanted to train them for what it would be like to be missionaries outside of the US by having an off-duty cop and a retired soldier barge in during a youth activity, wave around a real gun, and force the kids into a van, upon which they were driven to the pastor's house and interrogated.

The pastor has no idea at all why anyone would be upset with him, and has stated that he intends to continue the practice, albeit with parental notice in advance.

Guy's just lucky there were no real fatalities from the incident.

I think this would constitute Criminal Menacing to say the very least.

I had done two short stints on the mission field which my church encourages the laity to participate in. Usually such missions are supportive in nature, such as encouraging local Christians or as in my case, building needed facilities such as a school or clinic. This work is often done in 3rd world countries where our safety is not guaranteed.

On my first trip to Mexico, our vehicle was stopped by a military roadblock at night. We had a number of nervous soldiers pointing loaded guns in our direction. The possibility of being shot can make almost anyone count the cost of following Jesus. 

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 11:06PM #5
jesusfreakgal

I wonder how the parents of the youth group kids reacted. Even if he gives notice next time, I wonder how many of those parents would chose NOT to send/ allow their children to go to the youth group on such a night? What if this behaviour has made any of the youth group kids not trust that pastor? Not a very bright man in my opinion.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 5:06PM #6
rideronthastorm

Its a way of over dramatizing of Christianity and brainwashing using fear the huge drama of Mission field ( as if all Missionaries were even persecuted some are some not)and make it seem like something that has affected americans get some tears and freaked out reactions and get an emotional reaction to Jesus................keep the youth group in church. The youth are the most likely to drop out as young adults from church. This is why churches use more emotionally charged hyped up excited musical material for youth group choirs and get the youth excited and hyped up with retreats and that sort of thing. Im not downing youth retreats just saying churches keep the youth emotionally charged to keep their interest to keep them in church, theyre also good at witnessing so.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook