Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Where Is Whitney Houston Now?
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 7:47PM #21
hamerhas

Feb 14, 2012 -- 1:12AM, SeraphimR wrote:

Feb 13, 2012 -- 3:35PM, hamerhas wrote:

"But whom say ye that I am?"

( Matthew 16:15)

That is:

"But who do you say I am?"

the verb "to be" takes a predicate nominative, not an accusative.

-------------

As far as prayers for the dead are concerned, we can still appeal to God's mercy before the final judgement, surely.

Jesus gave His disciples and us the model for prayer. 

Jesus prayed for many people .

He even prayed for an entire city.

But He never once prayed for the "dead".

Quite the contrary He gave every indication that death itself seals the deal.

" Follow me , and let the dead bury the dead. "

( Matthew 8:22 )

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 7:58PM #22
lulu2

Its my belief, that our conscienceness goes no further than we do in its awareness, than it does here on earth. Thats the reason for life on earth..to either respond to Gods call while we are here, and than to fulfill His purpose in us, or not. Sadly I believe Whitney lost her  Way...and passed,  while her conscienceness had already chosen the darker side of life. I dont believe forgiveness is warrented  or given,when no change or plea is consciously made.     

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 8:05PM #23
SeraphimR

The Catholic Church does indeed endorse prayer for the dead:

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture: "Therefore [Judas Maccabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin."609 From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God.610 The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead:

Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.611
People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 8:06PM #24
Rgurley4

Some of my/others' stuff got bumped off...but here I come again!

Where is Whitney?

The Bible supports:

THREE SPIRITUAL REALMS:
1. eternal and pre-existing Kingdom of the TRI-UNE GOD...pure Spirit
2. the New Heavens and the New Earth...a MERGED future kingdom where finally God and believing Man dwell together for eternity in spirit.
3. a created "lake of fire" for the anti-trinity, Satan, fallen angels, and unbelievers which burns forever and ever, all spirits bound and separated.

I know how to get into numbers 1 and 2.
How do the resurrected souls and spirits of man from the "second death" get out of number 3?   They don't!

Jesus of Nazareth spiritually taught and introduced us to the" Spirit world", one long believed and discussed by Hebrew tradition...Abraham's Bosom

Read again Luke 16:19-31, focusing on the TWO realms therein: " Paradise" and "Hades".

Jesus' promise to the thief on the cross:  "TODAY (after our deaths of our Bodies and Souls) you will be with me (spiritually) in " Paradise".

The resurrected Jesus went there to free the believing souls in " Paradise" into the Kingdom of the TRI-UNE GOD...before His appearance to witnesses.
And to release the captives of "Hades" to await the Great White Throne Judgment and sentencing to the "lake of fire".
The God-Man Jesus therefore fulfilled and eliminated the Hebrew "holding place": Abraham's Bosom.

NOW: ...because of Jesus' perfect and completed work of sacrificially bleeding to death on the Cross...True Man and True God .....

To be absent from our Body / Soul (death) is to be spiritually in the presence of the TRI-UNE GOD...and we believers are promised "spirit bodies"

The Bodies / Souls of the unbelieving await a Second Resurrection + Death + Sentencing to the spiritual and separated "lake of fire".
 ...LIKE a "HELL"... a Sheoul... a Gehenna...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 8:36PM #25
hamerhas

Feb 14, 2012 -- 8:05PM, SeraphimR wrote:

The Catholic Church does indeed endorse prayer for the dead:

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in Sacred Scripture: "Therefore [Judas Maccabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin."609 From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God.610 The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf of the dead:

Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Let us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.611

Jesus, the author and finisher of the faith prayed more than anyone.

He never prayed for the dead.

Not even once.

I will take the word of this Jesus who is the Christ concerning praying for the dead.

" Follow me  , and let the dead bury their dead. "

(Matthew 8:22)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 11:43PM #26
Hatman
"He who lives and believes in Me will never die," and "He is not a God of the dead, but of the living; in this you do greatly err."

That's what immediately came to mind upon reading Hamerhas' commentary.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 9:17AM #27
TemplarS

Feb 14, 2012 -- 8:36PM, hamerhas wrote:

Jesus, the author and finisher of the faith prayed more than anyone.

He never prayed for the dead.

More correctly: the Gospels do not record him praying for the dead. 

But there are many instances where it is simply said "Jesus prayed" or something similar.  We do not know specifically what he prayed about.

What he did pray, a number of times, is "Your will be done."  That is good enough.  This is in God's hands,  and no better place for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 10:32AM #28
Mostyn32

Where is Whitney Houston now? Her body is in Newark, NJ, awaiting burial, Her soul is in the hands of God. That's all we need to know.

WH, why are you so concerned about where celebrities are after they die? Are you just morbid, or are you scared about where you'll be after you die? Have you considered that for all your "Lord, Lord" talk, Jesus may apply the "Not all who call me Lord..." litmus test to you?

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 1:34PM #29
Webers_Home

Feb 15, 2012 -- 10:32AM, Mostyn32 wrote:

why are you so concerned about where celebrities are after they die

I'm not concerned about them at all. I'm only taking advantage of their fame to draw attention to one of my very favorite Christian discussion topics.

BTW : some day— and that day may arrive sooner than you think considering the fragility of human life and the proliferation of crime, disease, natural disasters, accidents, and/or stray bullets from a drive-by; et al —people will be asking: Where Is Mostyn32 Now?

The really sad part of the story of the rich man at Luke 16:19-31 was the anxiety tearing the man apart in his longing to contact family topside and let them know where he was; but contact with the living isn't allowed. Well not to worry; they've no doubt joined him by now.

Do you have some friends and/or relatives over on the other side? Don't you ever wonder where they are and how they're doing?

Cliff
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2012 - 8:29PM #30
Beautiful_Dreamer

Feb 13, 2012 -- 10:52AM, Webers_Home wrote:

A really good friend of mine passed away in 2007, and since then, there hasn't a week gone by that I don't wonder what he's doing now.

Some insist nobody goes to a heaven; and others insist nobody goes to a hell. Everyone has to be their own jury in these matters since both sides of the heaven and hell question are able to prove conclusively that theirs is correct. In other words: matters of hell and heaven fall into the "a Dingo ate my baby" category where some are convinced wild dogs killed the child, while others aren't so sure the mother didn't do it.

It has always been somewhat of a curiosity to me how proponents of diametrically opposed religious ideologies so confidently attest that their own doctrine is the one that's "according to the Bible" and they usually are too because with a little imagination, it's not all that difficult to construe, allegorize, parable-ize, spiritualize, and/or metaphor-ize the Bible to make it mean whatever somebody wants it to mean. I've even seen people utilize Paul's teachings in the epistles to refute his master's teachings in the four gospels!

Cliff
/

I lost a friend in 2007 too, and I have no idea where he may have gone. I hope you and your friend have both found peace.

Much of the time, I don't really try to predict where someone may have gone. It's not really my place to, anyway. I figure there are so many things that we as humans won't know in this life, and a particular person's eventual destination is one of them.

(ETA: host hat)

And if we could please refrain from predicting the eventual destinations of fellow posters, that would be appreciated. Cliff, I know that's not what you were doing, but I'd rather none of us take it down that road. Thanks!

Beautiful_Dreamer

Beliefnet Community Host, Christian to Christian Debate

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook