Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
2 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 6:45PM #1
Androiddream
Hello, I'm new.  I was wondering, do any of you strive to be more Christian than you are currently?  Recently, God told me through prayer that total devotion to Him, over an idefinite period of time, might cure my illness.  I've been Christian for some time, but now I know that I need to be more Christian (for lack of a better phrase).  So, what are your ideas for becoming more Christian?  Thank you.

Jason
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 8:37PM #2
Pastorsrus

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Beliefnet.  Your question is interesting because as a spiritual leader, I always want to encourage people to grow in spiritual relationship and walk with God.  God has plans for each of us, so, without knowing you better, I can only give you some general suggestions instead of specifics for you alone.

One of the core scriptures in following Jesus is following His spiritual law of love towards Him, others and self (Matthew 22:37-40).  Most know how to care for others, but few know how to care for themselves emotionally and spiritually.  Where are you with that?  Just like you grow in love towards God and others, you need to grow in love for yourself, which means valuing yourself appropriately.

Another core scripture is Matthew 25:34-40, part of the parable known as the Sheep and the Goats.  Jesus makes it plain what pleases Him and how personally He takes it when we see to the needs of those that can't help themselves or who need a boost or some encouragement.  A companion scripture is James 1:27.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you.  May I also suggest you look at and answer as you feel led the questions we posted further down the page and perhaps continued on the next page?  They are specially targeted to grow your spiritual relationship with and understanding of God.

In His love and ministry,

Pastor Sharon

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 9:10PM #3
birwin4

Jason

This is a good question

In one sense, because we are saved by Grace, ie it is all the work of God. then only as God sees fit can we grow 'a better Christian'. Ultimately all growth is dependent on God intervening in our life and our response to what He teaches us either through fellowship with other Christians, or through our experiences , or through our learning from any source, including the Bible. In my experience as a Christian of 65 years I have learnt far more in fellowship with other Christians than any other way. As Jesus said, 'Where two or three are gathered together in my name( ie for the purpose of seeking Me) then I am in the midst of them.'

If you want to grow then spend time with other Christians, preferably in a small group situation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 9:20PM #4
Androiddream

Feb 2, 2012 -- 8:37PM, Pastorsrus wrote:

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Beliefnet.  Your question is interesting because as a spiritual leader, I always want to encourage people to grow in spiritual relationship and walk with God.  God has plans for each of us, so, without knowing you better, I can only give you some general suggestions instead of specifics for you alone.

One of the core scriptures in following Jesus is following His spiritual law of love towards Him, others and self (Matthew 22:37-40).  Most know how to care for others, but few know how to care for themselves emotionally and spiritually.  Where are you with that?  Just like you grow in love towards God and others, you need to grow in love for yourself, which means valuing yourself appropriately.

Another core scripture is Matthew 25:34-40, part of the parable known as the Sheep and the Goats.  Jesus makes it plain what pleases Him and how personally He takes it when we see to the needs of those that can't help themselves or who need a boost or some encouragement.  A companion scripture is James 1:27.

I hope these suggestions are helpful to you.  May I also suggest you look at and answer as you feel led the questions we posted further down the page and perhaps continued on the next page?  They are specially targeted to grow your spiritual relationship with and understanding of God.

In His love and ministry,

Pastor Sharon

Pastor Sharon, thank you for your detailed response.  It is a big help.  As for your question regarding where I'm at with caring for myself emotionally and spiritually, I think I'm doing okay, although there's always room for improvement.  

A little about myself: I grew up Catholic, strayed from all religion for awhile, and just a few years ago (I am 35) became born again.  A couple days ago, God communicated to me through prayer a message saying that if I were to drop pretty much everything and devote myself entirely to Him, that I might get past my problems.  I have been ill for about 11 years, and have tried everything to get myself back to normal.  So it was a big weight off my mind to hear that there may be a panacea.  Whether it's going to work or not, I'm going to give it my all.  

Thank you for making me feel welcome here.

Jason

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 10:51PM #5
Pastorsrus

Hi Jason,

You have something in common with Pastor George, my partner in ministry and my beloved husband.  He began life as a Catholic, too, and God led him to the fellowship where we both became His and were born again.  I feel strongly led to encourage you to focus on Matthew 6:33 and to prayerfully study what it means. Living Matthew 6:33 can and will grow you spiritually and bring you closer to God.

Feel free to contact me privately if I can help.  Also, please visit our web site, which is dedicated to helping Christians obey and accept God's will.  www.encouragingwordsministries.org

In His love,

Pastor Sharon

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2012 - 2:00PM #6
Iwantamotto

Androiddream:  Recently, God told me through prayer that total devotion to Him, over an idefinite period of time, might cure my illness.

Are we talking the flu or something worse?

My concern is that you feel the Christian label will somehow rewrite the laws of biology.

I'm all for having a positive outlook and hoping for the best, but you're in for a very rude crash if God doesn't snap His fingers and cure you.

I find it spiritually healthier to pray for the strength to get through a bad time, not for the bad time to just poof away.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2012 - 2:32PM #7
Rgurley4

HEALING in the Bible...James' suggestions!

James, the brother of Jesus, was a tough preacher and teacher.
Yet in the close of his book, he sets forth a very clear path to follow for believers and their fellowship for problems.
He did NOT SAY, "do this only!".
The TRI-UNE GOD can use the miracles of modern medical science to assist in" healing ".
If you turn your SPIRITUAL matters over to God the Holy Spirit,
then if it is in God's will and plan for you, BODY + SOUL (personality) MAY BE "helped" also.

James 5: 13-16 (NASB)
Is anyone among you suffering?(fellowship of beleivers)
Then he must pray.
Is anyone cheerful?
He is to sing praises.
Is anyone among you sick? Then he must
(a) call for the elders of the church and
(b) they are to pray over him,
(c) anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
and the prayer offered in (spirit-led) faith will restore the one who is sick,
and the Lord will raise him up,
and if he has committed sins,
they will be forgiven him.
Therefore, confess your sins to one another,
and pray for one another so that you may be healed.
The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2012 - 5:20PM #8
Iwantamotto

Is anyone among you suffering?(fellowship of beleivers) Then he must pray.

With all due respect, the medical field left a lot to be desired.  You probably WOULD have greater chances praying, but that's like having 10% instead of 8%.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2012 - 9:56PM #9
Goodwinterri

Jason's Statement:

Hello, I'm new.  I was wondering, do any of you strive to be more Christian than you are currently?  Recently, God told me through prayer that total devotion to Him, over an idefinite period of time, might cure my illness.  I've been Christian for some time, but now I know that I need to be more Christian (for lack of a better phrase).  So, what are your ideas for becoming more Christian?  Thank you

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Beliefnet.com.  In regard to your question regarding do I strive to be more Christian than I currently am.

The answer is Yes, the bible tells us  to press toward the mark of the high calling in God.

PRESSING TOWARD THE MARK

"Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:12-14

INTRODUCTION

If there is one thing missing in contemporary religion, it is a sustained godly cause. "Updates" are the mode of operation among many professed believers: updated methods, updated techniques, updated messages, and even updated gospels. But this is not the manner of the kingdom of God. It is progressive in nature, which is directly opposite of addiction to obsolescence. Believers, under the administration of the Holy Spirit, go "from glory to glory" (2 Cor. 3:18). The psalmist declared that those in Zion would go from "strength to strength" (Psa. 84:7). The Gospel generates a manner of life described as "from faith unto faith" (Rom. 1:17). These expressions describe a process with which the world is not familiar. It is one of advancement and spiritual development.

Our text sets forth a situation that is both challenging and necessary. It reveals a singularity of objective, and the sustained effort required to attain it. Faith does not change its goal. It often requires the adjustment of ones commitment and effort, but never an alteration of the goal. That is the nature of life in Christ. "One thing" dominates throughout the life of the child of God (Psa. 27:4; Luke 10:42; Phil. 3:13). It is that controlling factor that is our present theme.

This information is taken from: wotruth.com/ARTICLES/article15.htm

Recently, God told me through prayer that total devotion to Him, over an idefinite period of time, might cure my illness

Now regarding this statement I am in total agreement with you but I would like to add that you may want to partner with a prayer partner to stand in agreement with you on your healing.  You may also want to get as many healing scriptures has possible and recite them often for God honors his word.  Lastly, praise your way through!  Praise God often call those things that be not as though they 

I will stand in agreement with you!

Lord,

I come to you now in the name of Jesus asking for complete healing for my brother Jason.  Lord, I come to you because your word saves that by your stripes Jason is healed.  I come because your word says where two are more are gathered their your are in the midst.

Lord we claim complete healing for Jason from the top of his head to the bottom of his feet.  We say that everything in Jason operates in the perfection in which you created it to operate and that every blood cell in his body cooperates with your healing virtue.

Lord we claim this done in the third and fourth heaven and we thank you for favorable results.

Halleuah!!!

My idea for becoming more Christian is to seek God's face.

God Bless!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2012 - 10:31PM #10
Androiddream

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for your detailed input.  It really means a lot.  I'm going to copy your messages and put them into a Word file for easy reference.

Jason

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook