Switch to Forum Live View EVANGELICAL: are you?
3 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2012 - 3:31PM #1
Rgurley4

EVANGELICAL: are you?

As followers of the LORD Jesus Christ,
Evangelicals stress a particular Set of BELIEFS
that are believed to be true to the life and teachings of Jesus himself.

1. Jesus, fully divine and fully human, is the full and complete revelation of  God
and therefore... the only Savior. (Deity?)

2. The death of Jesus on the cross, in which he took the penalty for our sins (substitution?)
and reconciled us to God. (completed and perfect work for ALL?)

3. Salvation as God’s gift grasped as "Grace through Faith".
We contribute nothing to our salvation. (FAITH versus WORKS)

4. "New life" (spiritually born again) in the Holy Spirit,
who brings us spiritual rebirth and power to live as Jesus did,
reaching out to the poor, sick, and oppressed. ( a John 3 spiritual change?)

5. The "written" Bible as God’s "Word",
fully trustworthy as our final guide to faith and practice. (Scriptura Suprema?)

6. The future personal return of Jesus to establish an earthly reign of God. (Second Coming)

7. The importance of SHARING these beliefs
so that others may experience God’s salvation and may walk in Jesus’ way. (spread the Gospel)

The statement above is an edited extract from:

community.beliefnet.com/evangelical_mani...

A. Do you BELIEVE in all 7 points?

B. Which doctrines, if any, are contrary to the Bible?

C. What points, if any, should be added?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 1:40AM #2
Anesis

I think Beliefnet defines "Evangelical" rather broadly. Personally, I prefer the term be understood in the context of the Evangelical Manifesto, which can be read online. It helps to put Evangelical (capital E) into context.

In addition to the definition offered by Bnet, we also stress the five solas. It is also important to note that the Bnet definition misses out on one of the very biggest keys of our faith, and that has to do with the resurrected Christ.

Someone on this board once noted that "Evangelical" is not a denomination, but rather a movement that has to do with fundamentalist beliefs and how we live out those beliefs compared to fundamentalists - if that makes any sense.

There is a lot to being Evangelical that the Bnet definition misses out on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 8:30AM #3
Rgurley4

The FIVE "Solas" + PROGRESSIVE SALVATION = evangelistic thelogy?

Sola Fide (Faith/(BELIEF) alone) is one of the "battle flags" of the Reformation to set it off from Roman Catholic teaching.
The other "Solas" were
Sola Scriptura (scripture alone),
Sola Gratia  (Grace alone),
Sola Christus (Christ alone) and
Sola Gloria Dei (to God's glory only).

The doctrine that we are SAVED by Grace alone through Faith alone in Christ alone is foundational to Protestant theology.
The other point of the primacy of Scripture is just as vital to Protestantism. "To the Glory of God" is less emphasized?
Remove any of these "pillars" of the Protestant "belief systems", and they may "collapse" ?
The denial of any or all of these points places one outside the Protestant / (Evangelical) Camp ?

The Five "Solas" ("alone's")....We are :..SAVED (spiritually re-born)
1. by grace    alone
2. with faith    alone
3. in Christ     alone
4. to the glory of God    alone
5. according to the authority of Scriptures  alone

THEN...PROGRESSIVE SALVATION:

Progressive Salvation: OF / FROM SIN....POSITION versus PRACTICE...

How God views Man VS. Christian Living

A. I was saved from the PRISON of SIN in the PAST....simple "saving faith"...Ephesians 2:8

BENEFITS of Salvation / "saving faith":

1. Substitution:  "in the place of"
2. Redemption:  " pay ransom, remove, and release "
3. Reconciliation:  "alienation ends"
4. Propititation:  "satisfaction with action"
5. Sin Nature Judged: "good overcomes bad"...nature changed
6. Justification:  "view: Just-if-I..never"- legal term by the Advocate
7. Sanctification:  "goats to sheep" / "born again" / became "son" /

B. I am being saved from the POWER of SIN in the PRESENT

....influence of the indwelling Holy Spirit, guiding "battles" against the foes.
Sanctification (setting  apart) is Progressive.
Good works are guided by the Holy Spirit to eventual Judgement of Believer's Works.
Faith put to WORK! ...Becoming more Christ - like by following His precepts and Spiritual guidance.

(Saving) FAITH without (spiritully guided following ) WORKS  is DEAD (judged useless).

C. I will be saved from the PRESENCE of SIN in the FUTURE

...Eternity in the New Heavens and Earth, with the Tri-Une God

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 10:55AM #4
five_point_dad

Benjamin B. Warfield, one of the "Princeton Divines" of the 1920s, wrote a book in which he said the opposite of an Evangelical was a Sacradotalist.  A Sacradotalist was a person who believed God dealt with an individual through the person's church.  For example, a Catholic would be such a person.  If the "Church" forgave his sins, so did God.

An Evangelical, said Warfield, was a person with whom God dealt directly without any intervening institution.  Evangelicals are directly responsible to God for their sin and not to any human organization.  A human organization may discipline the individual because of some sin, but it is God who will deal that person with or without the church's treatment. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 1:39PM #5
Dickey

Gurly,

4. "New life" (spiritually born again) in the Holy Spirit,
who brings us spiritual rebirth and power to live as Jesus did,
reaching out to the poor, sick, and oppressed. ( a John 3 spiritual change?)

ME>>> Your view of born again, as a spiritual change is something that theologically has only existed from the time of Wesley.  One of his disciples started this trendy emotional rumor of a new life.  Which is not to say it can't happen that way, instantaneous, etc.. but to the way it's preached and believed today, it's a warm fuzzy, not a historical belief of the Church.  IF the spiritual change explained by Paul and John occurs, then you meet the standards they presented.  I daresay neither you nor me meet them.  Gal 5:16 romans 8:9, 1 john 3:6, 5:18, 4:16-18.

5. The "written" Bible as God’s "Word",
fully trustworthy as our final guide to faith and practice. (Scriptura Suprema?)

The only problem with this, is people try to use the Bible as a technical data tool, and not keep to the message.  It's become a faith where people think Xian maturity is more about what you know than how you live.  That's how "WORKS" have almost become a NO-NO to discuss, nearly evil.  BUT it's what you are saved to do.  And if you don't/aren't doing them, you aren't saved.  Which is NOT saying they save you, but if you are saved they will happen.  If they don't happen, you aren't saved.  Period.  There is no other scriptual conclusion to draw.

You are saved by Grace to do good works, and any good works you do, is by His Grace anyway, so if you claim Grace, but only that it saves you, not that it empowers and moves you to those works, you have cut the coin in twain and look at the heads and tails sides at the same time.  You have split the coin in twain, not captured both sides of the coin.  It takes both sides to make the coin have value.

6. The future personal return of Jesus to establish an earthly reign of God. (Second Coming)

If you don't believe this, but live the life, and get the love right you are most assuredly HIS and will be His forever.  The return of Jesus is not solid theology.  I believe it to be the case, but it's not a sure fire theological doctrine.  But, believe He comes back, and He doesn't, if you have the love right, no bother.  Don't believe He will come back, and He does, but you have the love right, no bother.

7. The importance of SHARING these beliefs
so that others may experience God’s salvation and may walk in Jesus’ way. (spread the Gospel)

Christ assigned spreading the WORD to the CHURCH, not the individuals in the Church.  THE CHURCH is described as a body.  The Evangelical movement has every person being a mouth.  Some are the legs that take the mouth to it's destination.  Some are the hands that build the tools.  Some are the hair that....... does whatever hair does.  Each has it's role and each role furthers the Church's purpose.  The ONLY witness that matters is how you live your life.  Not what you know and can talk about. 

Knowledge puffs up, Works builds up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2012 - 12:26PM #6
Vineyardbornagainchristian1

I personally am a Born-Again Evangelical Christian and have rededicated my life to the lord for 2 weeks now. I still have a lot to learn, but I would love to learn more here from friends and like-minded believers here on belief-net.Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2012 - 12:53PM #7
k-bearsmom

Yes I am...Born Again, Evangelical, FundamentalistInnocent

That about covers the question!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook