3 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 10:16PM #1
Dong
The scriptures say that on the last day the son of man will sit and divide the nations into two parts and he waill say to those on his right

"Blessed are you, enter into the kingdom of God prepared for you since the foundation of the world
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink
I was sick and you took care of me
I was in prison and you visited me
I was naked and you clothed me
I was a stranger and you invited me in

And they will say to him, Lord, when did we see you hungry? thristy? sick? in prisoin? naked? a stranger? and he will say to them

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.

Now my question to you is this:
- How many hours should you devote to doing charity work?
- How many hours should you devote your husband / wife?
- How many hours should you devote to your children?
- How many hours should you devote to yourself out of the days that you have?

Also, if you cannot serve both money and God, are you supposed to serve God with no desire for money at all? 

Also, for those who do not have careers yet (such as me) should you choose a career that involves giving or doing humanitarian aid?

What kind of vision should you have for your life? If your vision cannot be on glorifying the human ego or on personal consumption and yet at the same time has to acknowledge the realities of our existence?

What are some proctive steps that you can take to living a humanitarian existence? 

How do you keep yourself happy when you are dealing with people who are suffering all the time?

Last of all, if you are going to live a humanitarian lifestyle, how do you do it in secret since the bible said not to practice your righteousness before men to be noticed by them? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2012 - 11:16PM #2
birwin4

This is an excellent set of questions.

Answering them will be difficult because in my opinion everybody has a different set of circumstances.

I would say there is no black and white answer to most of them.

To reply to your first set:

First priority should be to your family. This will include earning sufficient for their welfare.

After that, and not in opposition to that, will come time from what is left to engage in charity work.

Money and God: the point is not 'to serve money'It does not mean that money is evil, but perhaps a 'necessary evil'. There are few societies where money is not a necessity of life.

Choosing a job is one in which qualifications and interest play an enormous part. Whatever you do the Scriptures urge us to 'do all to the glory of God'. Honest work is not evil.

Ditto with vision.

Each of us have an obligation(given by Christ) to help the poor and needy. We cannot opt out of this. Therefore we need to look for ways within our area to assist the needy as much as we can.

Keeping happy when working with suffering is not possible. All I can do is daily ask God to give me the strength to do my bit. I should not look to happiness but to God's 'well done' at the end.

Doing things anonymously is not always possible. What is possible is to keep oneself from pride and any sense of being totally necessary.

This is my 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2012 - 11:26AM #3
Hatman

As many as the Holy Spirit leads you to devote.

Same as above.

Same as above.

As many as are minimally necessary to care for your health and hygiene...or as led by the Holy Spirit.

Also, if you cannot serve both money and God, are you supposed to serve God with no desire for money at all?

The word used is "Mammon," not "money," but even Christ stated a long-held principle in even Roman Law, "The Workman is worthy of his wages."  Through James, He had a few choice things to say about the wealthy who cheated the laborers in the field of their just due, as well.  See ch. 5.  But that aside, "the righteous shall live by faith, not by sight," so yes, trusting in Our Father to supply our need/fulfill the good desire of our hearts is infinitely superior to demanding your dough.

Also, for those who do not have careers yet (such as me) should you choose a career that involves giving or doing humanitarian aid?

Again, after prayer, one should act according to the information received from the Holy Spirit---and if there is no answer, one should do as one feels led to do, trusting that if such a course is contraindicated, there will be pricks of conscience to turn one aside from that way.

What kind of vision should you have for your life?

No one can tell you that, other than to give perhaps general guidelines, e.g. your choices should be congruent with Divine Love, as far as one is able to understand it at the time---i.e. love your work, and love your neighbor as yourself.

If your vision cannot be on glorifying the human ego or on personal consumption and yet at the same time has to acknowledge the realities of our existence?

Our Father knows what we have need of, and those who Trust in Him eventually receive the good desires of their hearts...even if such gratification is long-delayed, even until the life to come.

What are some pro(a)ctive steps that you can take to living a humanitarian existence?

Look for those in need, and help them?  Make a practice of seeking out those down on their luck, and assisting them as best you are able, even if that assistance being naught more than listening to them?

How do you keep yourself happy when you are dealing with people who are suffering all the time?

There is a difference between happiness---usually fleeting and momentary---and joy.  Seek joy in Our Father, instead, knowing that eventually, all human suffering will come to an end.

Last of all, if you are going to live a humanitarian lifestyle, how do you do it in secret since the bible said not to practice your righteousness before men to be noticed by them?

If you find out that someone needs money, put it in an envelope addressed to them and leave it anonymously, or give it to a trustworthy intermediary to give to them.  Same with food or clothing or gasoline or anything else.(Gift cards are available for almost everything, perhaps including medical/dental, too, if you find the right doc or group thereof.)  If you are led to serve in a soup kitchen, for example, don't make a habit of telling your friends and families what you're up to, for bragging about what you're doing ensures no heavenly reward for it, just the approbation of fickle and jealous men/women right now(and only for a moment; ime, most folk don't remember what you've done for them, just what you've done for them LATELY).

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2012 - 11:40AM #4
Iwantamotto

In reality, it's silly for Christianity to teach the evils of money since the movement depended on rich people to get through the day (and still does).  Someone has to be rich in order for that to work.  If everyone had been the ancient equivalent of McD's workers, the Apostles wouldn't have been able to fund their missions that well, now would they?

Still, there's a difference between being profitable and giving back to the community and being rich and selfishly sitting on it.  Yes, I bought the PS3, but I also keep a limited wardrobe and furniture and give freely much of our stuff.  I try to help people as much as it's in my power to do so (which means I have to pick and choose sometimes, as I'm not rich).

If your heart is in the right place and seek to make the world a better place (but don't starve yourself, as being in pain doesn't help anyone, does it?), you'll be able to pull off whatever task God has in store for you.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 7:38AM #5
Estacia

Jan 13, 2012 -- 11:26AM, Hatman wrote:

As many as the Holy Spirit leads you to devote.

Same as above.

Same as above.

As many as are minimally necessary to care for your health and hygiene...or as led by the Holy Spirit.

The word used is "Mammon," not "money," but even Christ stated a long-held principle in even Roman Law, "The Workman is worthy of his wages." Through James, He had a few choice things to say about the wealthy who cheated the laborers in the field of their just due, as well. See ch. 5. But that aside, "the righteous shall live by faith, not by sight," so yes, trusting in Our Father to supply our need/fulfill the good desire of our hearts is infinitely superior to demanding your dough.

Again, after prayer, one should act according to the information received from the Holy Spirit---and if there is no answer, one should do as one feels led to do, trusting that if such a course is contraindicated, there will be pricks of conscience to turn one aside from that way.

What kind of vision should you have for your life?

No one can tell you that, other than to give perhaps general guidelines, e.g. your choices should be congruent with Divine Love, as far as one is able to understand it at the time---i.e. love your work, and love your neighbor as yourself.

If your vision cannot be on glorifying the human ego or on personal consumption and yet at the same time has to acknowledge the realities of our existence?

Our Father knows what we have need of, and those who Trust in Him eventually receive the good desires of their hearts...even if such gratification is long-delayed, even until the life to come.

What are some pro(a)ctive steps that you can take to living a humanitarian existence?

Look for those in need, and help them? Make a practice of seeking out those down on their luck, and assisting them as best you are able, even if that assistance being naught more than listening to them?

There is a difference between happiness---usually fleeting and momentary---and joy. Seek joy in Our Father, instead, knowing that eventually, all human suffering will come to an end.

If you find out that someone needs money, put it in an envelope addressed to them and leave it anonymously, or give it to a trustworthy intermediary to give to them. Same with food or clothing or gasoline or anything else.(Gift cards are available for almost everything, perhaps including medical/dental, too, if you find the right doc or group thereof.) If you are led to serve in a soup kitchen, for example, don't make a habit of telling your friends and families what you're up to, for bragging about what you're doing ensures no heavenly reward for it, just the approbation of fickle and jealous men/women right now(and only for a moment; ime, most folk don't remember what you've done for them, just what you've done for them LATELY). Warmest regards- Hatman

Hatman,

I am truly touched by your responses to the questions asked.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2012 - 2:27PM #6
Ironhold

Jan 12, 2012 -- 11:16PM, birwin4 wrote:

This is an excellent set of questions.

Answering them will be difficult because in my opinion everybody has a different set of circumstances.

I would say there is no black and white answer to most of them.

To reply to your first set:

First priority should be to your family. This will include earning sufficient for their welfare.

After that, and not in opposition to that, will come time from what is left to engage in charity work.

Money and God: the point is not 'to serve money'It does not mean that money is evil, but perhaps a 'necessary evil'. There are few societies where money is not a necessity of life.

Choosing a job is one in which qualifications and interest play an enormous part. Whatever you do the Scriptures urge us to 'do all to the glory of God'. Honest work is not evil.

Ditto with vision.

Each of us have an obligation(given by Christ) to help the poor and needy. We cannot opt out of this. Therefore we need to look for ways within our area to assist the needy as much as we can.

Keeping happy when working with suffering is not possible. All I can do is daily ask God to give me the strength to do my bit. I should not look to happiness but to God's 'well done' at the end.

Doing things anonymously is not always possible. What is possible is to keep oneself from pride and any sense of being totally necessary.

This is my 2 cents worth.

As an example of this, consider Bill Gates.

Gates isn't the most religious man on the planet, but he has done a tremendous amount over the years to promote medical research.

Not only has he ponied up his own personal resources (including cutting a check for $11 million to help finance research on a vaccine for malaria), he's frequently encouraged others to help out as well. In fact, a few years ago he quite infamously released a cannister of mosquitoes in the middle of a major social event in the hopes of making people more aware of the need for proper mosquito protection and malaria treatments.

Say what you will about the man, but people will be helped through his efforts.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 10:57AM #7
Estacia

Donating your money shows that you are not controled by evil. It is used (to be used for) the greater good.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook