Switch to Forum Live View Dealing with difficult topics
3 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 7:26PM #1
curious_christian
Hello,

I am writing this post seeking help/understanding in some difficult questions I have been contemplating within my faith. I was hoping whoever reads this could post links or direct me to where I may find information that can help me resolve my inner conflicts. What I mean my resolve is not necessarily picking a side (or coming up with a definitive anwser), but rather how other Christians may have found peace with the same difficult questions. Thank you in advance for your resonses, below is a list of my questions (and some, I will warn, my be lengthy):

1)  I often wondered what my life my have been like had I not been born in Texas. Let's say that I was born and raised in rural China where Buddism is the promiment religion or Mecca, where Islam is  not only the predominant religion but the law permits only muslims to live within the city, I then ask myself would I even been a Christian? I was raised in a Christian environment, and respect for my parents was emphasized, but so are the children who live in other countries. It is hard to say that I wouldn't have become Buddist or Muslim had I been raised that way. It also would be hard to say that I would become a dissenter amoung my culture (i.e. chose Christianity over the parents/community's beliefs if I were in this hypothetical setting). I have come to realize that my environment and where I was raised does in fact have an influence for my religious beliefs. With that said, it saddens me that according to the creeds of Christian faith, there will be those who won't be saved simply because of where they were raised because they honor their parents by being obedient to the faith they were raised in. 

2) I also have been raised to take a more conservative side in politics, however, I find it distrubing that if we are to champion the poor, the widows, the sick, and the weak...why does the current conservative setting oppose many programs that do just that? 

3) There is very compelling evidence that shows where the Bible has been changed or altered either by accident or intentionaly through two thousand years of copying. How do we know that what we read is what was meant to be said? And how do we know which translation is closer to the original?

Once again, you can either share your thoughts or comments or post links that you found to be helpful. I appreciate the responses. Thank you. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 10:05AM #2
Ironhold

Nov 13, 2011 -- 7:26PM, curious_christian wrote:

Hello,

2) I also have been raised to take a more conservative side in politics, however, I find it distrubing that if we are to champion the poor, the widows, the sick, and the weak...why does the current conservative setting oppose many programs that do just that?

Define what you mean by "oppose."

You see, a lot of what people are crying about right now boils down to many of the more conservative and libertarian politicians realizing that we're deep in debt as a nation and that government spending is going to need an across-the-board haircut if we're to remain solvent.

In general, though, many people who are conservative and libertarian view welfare programs as being temporary in nature and meant to give people a safety net in case they are unable to provide for themselves. In this sense, they follow the whole "if you give a man a fish..." sentiment.

They've heard tales of "welfare queens" (people who have made "welfare recipient" their vocation, like this woman here) and welfare frauds, and are generally aghast at the accounts. Although such cases are often few and far between, the fact that they even exist has led to a "call to arms" to try and reform the system... the budget crisis has only given legitimacy to their efforts.

As for Affirmative Action, the stance of many conservatives & libertarians is "A person's race, gender, or creed shouldn't matter so much as whether or not they're competent to do the job at hand." As such, every time a situation like Gratz v. Bollinger or Ricci v. DeStefano emerges, there is a hue & cry at the notion that governmental or educational bodies could be so arbitrary.

In fact, one of the more common examples of why Affirmative Action is borked is the sad tale of Lt. Kara Hultgreen. During the Clinton Years, the government was pushing the military to integrate. As part of it, the Navy was under pressure to begin employing female combat aviators. Hultgreen racked up a series of safety violations during training and handed in mediocre test scores, resulting in her instructors requesting that she repeat training yet again. The Navy, not wanting any further delays due to the external pressures, percussively subliminated her into the cockpit. She wound up overshooting a carrier landing, and in an effort to come back around she banked her plane so sharply that one of the engines stalled out; in response, she tried going full afterburner on the other engine, something that only made things worse. Her co-pilot was smart enough to hit the eject button, but Hultgreen went down with her plane. Had Hultgreen been kept back in training, she might still be alive.

3) There is very compelling evidence that shows where the Bible has been changed or altered either by accident or intentionaly through two thousand years of copying. How do we know that what we read is what was meant to be said? And how do we know which translation is closer to the original?

This is why I tell people to not become beholden to any one translation but to instead keep and read multiple translations. Too many people take one specific translation - usually the KJV or some form of the Vulgate / Douhay - Rheems - for granted, and are unfamiliar with either the method of preservation / translation or alternate translations.

I myself have both a KJV and an RSV.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 8:40PM #3
Beautiful_Dreamer

I'm not going to go into the politics because I have pretty much the same impression you do re: conservatives, but I've often asked the other questions. I don't know if this is actually the case, but I was taught that the law was written on our hearts and that God would hold each person responsible only for what they knew...meaning, not coming down on people who never heard of Jesus...I could be totally wrong, though. I'm interested in seeing how the more astute Christians around Bnet will answer this!

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2011 - 9:56PM #4
Hatman
curious-

With that said, it saddens me that according to the creeds of Christian faith, there will be those who won't be saved simply because of where they were raised because they honor their parents by being obedient to the faith they were raised in.

Yes, but the Searcher of Mind and Heart will not judge according to appearances or by adherence to man-made "creeds" that contain NONE of the teachings OF Christ, but DO contain that which OTHER MEN say you MUST PROFESS in order to be acceptable TO THEM as "christians," one reason why i a) despise creeds and b) no longer call myself anything than a Disciple of His.

i agree, but then again, i'm in favor of reducing taxation and encouraging voluntary support of our fellow-man due to the increase in income reducing taxes would establish.  From sad experience, most conservatives have finally awakened to the fact that gummint programs are NOT designed to provide actual help, but to create dependents---dependents who then vote---under the "Those who rob Peter to pay Paul will always have the support of Paul" theory.  Incidentally, creating dependents who vote themselves largess from the public treasury has been the bane of every democracy ever established, which is why the F&F didn't create one(they created a Constitutional Republic), and also why CCMSM promotes, encourages, brainwashes, indoctrinates, and programs most Americans to foolishly believe that democracy is a "good thing."

Once again, you can either share your thoughts or comments or post links that you found to be helpful. I appreciate the responses. Thank you.

The truth is that you can't truly KNOW the truth until you MEET the truth, and experience His love directly---and the bible still teaches us how to do that, though most "pastors" will not.  One genuine experience of the Most High is infinitely superior to every book, bible, or compendium of opinions of "learned theologians" that ever wrote down what they THOUGHT, instead of what they FOUND.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook