Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Apostle John's litmus test as to whom is "in the faith"
3 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2011 - 2:59PM #1
Bob10
Apostle John's litmus test as to whom is "in the faith"

Apostle John's litmus test as to whom is "in the faith"

God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know the truth, -- 2Tim. 2:25, NRSV.

You are near, O LORD,
And all Your commandments are truth. -- Ps. 119:151, NKJV

Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,
And Your law is truth. -- Ps. 119:142, NKJV

they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. -- 2 Thes. 2:10.

As Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these people, of corrupt mind and counterfeit faith, also oppose the truth. -- 2Tim. 3:7, NRSV.

Apostle John:
He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. -- 1Jn 2:3-4

Apostle John:
I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; -- Rev. 2:2, NKJV
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 5:46AM #2
Rgurley4

Jesus of Nazareth confirmed all but one of Moses "Big Ten" and clarified the "Big Two":

1. Love God 2. Love neighbor as self

Jesus fulfilled the Mosaic "Law". He explained it. He lived a perfect life. Law came from the Old Testament covenants and conditional promises of God to chosen people temporarly indwelt by the Holy Spirit. The Law had become pereverted by Man until...Grace and truth were ushered into this "CHURCH" age by the complete sacrifice and substitution of the God-Man for sins...once for all.

The "acid test" for a believer headed for heaven? >>>What have you done with My Son?<<<

Ephesians 2:8-10 (NIV)
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith
—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.
For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do.

John 3:16 (NIV)...John 3
For God so (UNCONDITIONALLY) loved the world that He gave his one and only Son,
that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

'You must be born again (spiritually).'
The wind blows wherever it pleases.
You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going.
So it is with everyone born of the Spirit....
Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert,
so the Son of Man must be lifted up,
that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

John 15:
"I am the vine; you are the branches.
If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit;
apart from me you can do nothing....
"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love,
just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in His love.
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

There are NO OTHER CONDITIONS other than accepting this gift of grace through FAITH / BELIEF!!:
NOT Repentance...which is nothing more than re-thinking...you don't have to be "purified".
NOT Confession...which is simply agreeing with God...you don't have to "come forward" / be public.
NOT Surrender...although you might want to dedicate yourself later as thanks for being saved now.
NOT Baptism...although this is a traditional outward sign of a believer's inward spiritual change.

The blessings / results of salvation:
1. Substitution:  "in the place of"
2. Redemption:  " pay ransom, remove, and release "
3. Reconciliation:  "alienation ends"
4. Propititation:  "satisfaction with action"
5. Sin Nature Judged: "good overcomes bad"...nature changed
6. Justification:  "view: Just-if-I..never" by the Advocate
7. Sanctification:  "goats to sheep" / "born again" / became "son" /

SAVING FAITH:

John 1:12,14 (NIV)
Yet to all who received him,
to those who believed in his name,
he gave the right to become children of God...
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only,(Jesus)
who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Acts 16: 30-31 (NIV)
Paul and Silas...He then brought them out and asked,
"Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved
—you and your household."

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous (Jesus) for the unrighteous (us),
to bring you to God.
He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit,

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 2:50AM #3
Shannon

Greetings,

Many Christians know the Bible well.  It is living out the Bible that becomes challenging... especially the part in the Bible that requires Christians to AGREE with one another.  We can't expect everyone to have the same gift as their fellow neighbor.  We share our faith in variety of ways, however it is God who works all things in all people.  Paul determined that he will only boast about his weaknesses.  He didn't want people to expect more out of him than what his abilities were.  I have to examine myself often and acknowledge that I too fall short.  Only Jesus can get us in good standing with God and not trying to win scores.  Christians make up to body of Christ.  The weakest in the Church, according to the Bible, must be treated with special honor.  We cannot expect all to communicate the Word in the very same fashion.  If someone forgets to dot their "i" or cross their "t", we have to give grace and God will give us the discernment of knowing if whether or not it is necessary to correct them.   We have to give one another room for improvement and not be so quick to judge.  (I think, depending on the action, that if my fellow bretheren makes a habit of bad behavior, it would be necessary to help the person to overcome his bad behavior, but if it is only the one time, there's no need to instantaneously give out a rebuke or correction... depending on the behavior.)  God gives us revelation and knowledge when we ask him for it and one may be on a whole different level spiritually than the other.  Depending on where we're at, we may get one thing out of a passage of scripture and the other person may see a whole different view.  Even Jesus, when He was asked a question by a man who was an expert in the law, He, in turn, asked the man an outstanding question and that was: "HOW do you read it?"   And He gave the person room to voice out what he believed although He saw clearly that the man's motive was only to test Him- thus the man was not genuine.  Jesus picked up on this insincere person, but He was not quick to point it out in him, but He was interested to know what the man believed:

Luke 10: 25 - 28 -

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”   26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”  27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’c]" class="footnote">[c]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’.”  28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

God reveals so much in this passage.  We find out what pleases God... 1.  Love Him with the whole heart, and 2.  Love our neighbor as ourselves.   It interests me, however, that Jesus  asked the man how HE interpreted God's Word.  He wanted to hear the man share his own faith.  And we all want to be heard, so we need to be quick to listen.  We can learn from one another.  Everyone has a testimony.  Nevertheless, when it comes to the bottom of it, it is God who is working all things in all people, it is God who has already set His Word in motion to deliver it to whom He intends, it is God who has sent the preachers and teachers, so we are to look to God in prayer as we receive His Word.  God determines the reply of the tongue and our very steps.  We can rejoice and be glad, for we are all His handy work and we are all fearfully and wonderfully made... even in every intricate detail be it a freckle or battle wound or a speach impairment, or you name.  We are fearfully and wonderfully made!  Thanks for listening.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2011 - 12:28PM #4
Bob10

Hi all,

Dt. 18:18, 15 --- Jesus was like Moses: a teacher of the Law (Mark 12:29-34)

Jeremiah 7:22-23 -- Matt. 19:17 --- Jn 14:15,24

thank you

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2011 - 11:46PM #5
birwin4

Jul 19, 2011 -- 2:50AM, Shannon wrote:

Greetings,

Many Christians know the Bible well.  It is living out the Bible that becomes challenging... especially the part in the Bible that requires Christians to AGREE with one another.  We can't expect everyone to have the same gift as their fellow neighbor.  We share our faith in variety of ways, however it is God who works all things in all people.  Paul determined that he will only boast about his weaknesses.  He didn't want people to expect more out of him than what his abilities were.  I have to examine myself often and acknowledge that I too fall short.  Only Jesus can get us in good standing with God and not trying to win scores.  Christians make up to body of Christ.  The weakest in the Church, according to the Bible, must be treated with special honor.  We cannot expect all to communicate the Word in the very same fashion.  If someone forgets to dot their "i" or cross their "t", we have to give grace and God will give us the discernment of knowing if whether or not it is necessary to correct them.   We have to give one another room for improvement and not be so quick to judge.  (I think, depending on the action, that if my fellow bretheren makes a habit of bad behavior, it would be necessary to help the person to overcome his bad behavior, but if it is only the one time, there's no need to instantaneously give out a rebuke or correction... depending on the behavior.)  God gives us revelation and knowledge when we ask him for it and one may be on a whole different level spiritually than the other.  Depending on where we're at, we may get one thing out of a passage of scripture and the other person may see a whole different view.  Even Jesus, when He was asked a question by a man who was an expert in the law, He, in turn, asked the man an outstanding question and that was: "HOW do you read it?"   And He gave the person room to voice out what he believed although He saw clearly that the man's motive was only to test Him- thus the man was not genuine.  Jesus picked up on this insincere person, but He was not quick to point it out in him, but He was interested to know what the man believed:

Luke 10: 25 - 28 -

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”   26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”  27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’c]" class="footnote">[c]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’.”  28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

God reveals so much in this passage.  We find out what pleases God... 1.  Love Him with the whole heart, and 2.  Love our neighbor as ourselves.   It interests me, however, that Jesus  asked the man how HE interpreted God's Word.  He wanted to hear the man share his own faith.  And we all want to be heard, so we need to be quick to listen.  We can learn from one another.  Everyone has a testimony.  Nevertheless, when it comes to the bottom of it, it is God who is working all things in all people, it is God who has already set His Word in motion to deliver it to whom He intends, it is God who has sent the preachers and teachers, so we are to look to God in prayer as we receive His Word.  God determines the reply of the tongue and our very steps.  We can rejoice and be glad, for we are all His handy work and we are all fearfully and wonderfully made... even in every intricate detail be it a freckle or battle wound or a speach impairment, or you name.  We are fearfully and wonderfully made!  Thanks for listening.

Great post
I have often pondered why Christians differ. It seems to me that it is like a bicycle wheel. The closer we are to the rim the further we are from one another. The closer we are to the hub(Christ) the closer we are to each other.
At the rim the 10% that separates us is usually peripheral matters. At the hub(Christ) we are more concerned with Him and so we treat each other as brothers and sisters.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 07, 2011 - 12:23PM #6
Bob10

Hi all, 

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ (Mk. 12:29-34)....  -- 1Peter 1:1-2, NIV.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.  For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy (1Peter 1:15-16) and blameless in his sight (Ex. 15:26). -- Eph. 1:3-4, NIV

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 10:43AM #7
Rgurley4

Hey Bob10! Aren't you in the wrong community...or are you an "Evangelical"?

YOU:

"We want the benefits from the Divine (good health, money, contentment) but are unwilling to pay the price (conversion, devotion, commitment). -- Cal Thomas"

Hmmm...please respond directly to my post #2 and new thread ..."Evangelical...are you?"

...hopefully without irrelevent snippets supporting a "works" doctrine...ron

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 3:09PM #8
Bob10

Moses had faith.   - Hebrews 11:24, NIRV

Because of his faith he was the first to keep the Passover Feast.   - Hebrews 11:28, NIRV

PAUL:  "So let us keep the Feast...Let us keep the Feast with bread made without yeast..."  - 1Cor. 5:7-8, NIRV

PAUL:  "....you belong to Christ Jesus, you are faithful."   - Eph. 1:1, NIRV

Abraham had faith. So he obeyed God.   -- Heb. 11:8, NIRV

...Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments (1Cor. 7:19/ 1Jn 2:3-4), My statutes (Acts 2:1/ 1Cor. 5:7-8), and My laws.   - Gen. 26:5, NKJV

....follow the steps of our father Abraham.   - Romans 4:12, NIRV

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2012 - 1:17PM #9
Dickey

Jul 7, 2011 -- 5:46AM, Rgurley4 wrote:

Jesus of Nazareth confirmed all but one of Moses "Big Ten" and clarified the "Big Two":

The tenth, may not have been confirmed by name, but Christ defended it against the pharisees more than any other commandment was mentioned in the NT.  So if you wish to credit CHRIST'S recognition as reasons for justifying a position, clearly you MUST be keeping the Sabbath.

The ONLY Litmus test, is 1 john 4:16-18.  If you don't have the LOVE right, the rest of your claims, and beliefs are worthless skubalon floating down the alleys.  YOu can't have the others right, and the Love wrong.  It's impossible. 

If you have the love right, all the others are kept as a result of the love being right. 

If you fear judgement, you don't have the love right.  That would imply if your focus is on sins, and being forgiven, and am I saved, and such, then you haven't moved on from sins, you still fear judgement, and you don't love fully, yet.  In that love there is no fear of punishment.  That isn't an arrogant statement, it's scripture showing that if the love is right, the rest is irrelevant.

THE ONLY THING you should focus on after admitting Christ is Lord, is that God is Love, and my job is to be His instrument of His righteousness to the people on Earth, brother and enemy.  That instrument is used to do things, take actions, so that theology isn't important, but faith working through love.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2012 - 10:20AM #10
Bob10

sin is breaking the Law of God    - 1John 3:4, NLV

PAUL:   In the past, God didn’t judge people for what they didn’t know. But now he commands all people everywhere to turn away from their sins.                  - Acts 17:30, NIRV

PETER:   So turn away from your sins. Turn to God    - Acts 3:19, NIRV

The word of the Lord came to me again, saying,….. if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes (Acts 2:1/ 1Cor. 5:7-8) and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die.      – Ezekiel 18:1, 21, NKJV 

JESUS:  ….do this and you will live (Dt. 30:16-19)    – Luke 10: 25-28, NKJV

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook