Switch to Forum Live View Christianity and Karma
3 years ago  ::  May 13, 2011 - 10:54PM #1
bktx1
I know that the concept of Karma is not a Christian idea.  But yet I do find that when I get prideful and full of myself,  life has a way of shooting me down.  Sometimes I am even afraid to pray for God's will in my life, because I fear that Karma thing.  I was wondering if anyone else can relate to that.  Peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 14, 2011 - 8:05AM #2
tawonda

Hello!

You're correct that the concept of karma isn't a Christian one. In fact, the Christian concept of grace -- the idea that our relationship with God is not based on "earning points by doing stuff" but rather on God's gracious initiative in forgiving us and calling us into new life with God -- is kind of the opposite of the popular idea of karma; thanks be to God, we DON'T, at the end, get what we deserve in terms of our ongoing human tendency to fail to love God and our neighbors.

But that doesn't mean that we don't suffer consequences from our actions, and even our attitudes. This is what church folks mean when our liturgies talk about "temporal" punishment. In other words: God will forgive you for, say, stealing; but God will allow you to experience the temporal consequences of your thievery.

I think that's also true with our thoughts and attitudes. When our thought processes are something other than God's intention for us, I think that comes back to bite us in terms of psychological and emotional consequences -- even physical ones; perpetually angry people, for instance, suffer not only mentally and emotionally, but also in their bodies, with everything from hypertension to gastrointestinal ailments.

Does that make sense?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 14, 2011 - 6:01PM #3
bktx1

Hi Tawonda,

It makes perfect sense to me, as a person who believes in Reformed Theology.  Thank you so much for your reply.  Sometimes we get so bogged down with the mindset of the world and confronted with our sin that it weighs us down.  My pastor says that we tend to focus on salvation after death, but Jesus would like us to focus on the kingdom now, in our present life. 

Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 14, 2011 - 6:05PM #4
bktx1

I should tell you all my temporal circumstances - my wife is just out of the hospital with a pressure wound, she is a quad with MS, I have stuck by her for 25 years but now have my own health issues and a desire to complete my bucket list before it is too late and I run out of money. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 14, 2011 - 6:17PM #5
tawonda

Prayers ascending for you and your wife.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 12:24AM #6
Estacia

Tawanda,

I love youe post on this subject. I found it very useful.

Thank you,

Stacey

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 2:47PM #7
Hatman
bktx1-
If you're the guy i remember from the singles/dating/relationships forum, nice to "see" you again.
If not, hidy anyhow.

Personally, i've always felt that "As ye sow, so shall ye reap," "Give, and it will be given unto you," "With the measure that ye mete, so shall it be measured unto you again," and "As you would that men do unto you, do also unto them" are all quite compatible with my understanding of what the word "karma" means.

And one of my favorite bumper stickers is "My karma ran over your dogma."

But as Tawonda wrote quite eloquently, grace trumps all karma...in some cases, which is why it's CALLED grace.
So, just on the off-chance that you will INDEED reap exactly what you've sown, better to choose to do good and refrain from evil, methinks...

Personally, after i met some "Once Saved, Always Saved" people who thought they could commit any sin and crime under the sun and be forgiven before they ever engaged in theft, betrayal, lies, adultery, and littering(etc. ad nauseum), i decided that they kinda-sorta missed the point of Christ's message, imo.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook