Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is God Predictable?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 5:14PM #1
Pastorsrus

Scripture says that God is the same today, yesterday and forever.  Does that mean He is predictable?  Does He always do the same things the same way? Would it change your relationship with Him if you found out He is not predictable?  If so, how?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 5:48PM #2
Stephenway

God is Perfect, which means He is complete in every way: in righteousness, justice, and all of His qualities and capacities.  To not be the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow would mean change.  Can't think of anything that needs changing.

I'm sure we all a more substantive answer.  Need more thought on the subject.  Have added this page to my favorites to come back to later.

I think from the average standpoint of man it may appear that God is not predictable.  But man is not in a position to see as God sees.  Some things about God are debated even among believers, but especially so to non-believers.  I am one who believes in God's omniscience.  I belive that God not only is aware of everything at the present, but He knows what will be.

He may tell man, "If you are wicked I will punish you, but if you repent I will rescue you."  But God already knows who will and will not repent.  Several Scriptures refer to God knowing what people will become before they are born.  My best illustration of this is when an Israelite king sent his wife to Abijah the prophet to inquire if his sick son, Abijam, would be healed.  God told the queen through the prophet that the son would not live, because He, God, saw some good in the child, and was allowing the child to die, to spare the child the punishment that was coming on the king's family.

Love ya', Steve

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 6:22PM #3
Bouncybaby

The God who interacted with the characters of Scripture is the same God who cares for us today. God does not change; His truth does not change; His ways do not change nor His purpose do not change.

Fellowship with Him, trust in His Word, live by the faith, standing on the promises of God, are essentially the same realtities for us today as they were for the Old and New Testament believers.  God is perfect in every way.

The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 8:26PM #4
Bouncybaby

God is not predictable, He is full of suprises. God gave us laws, the 10 Commandments to follow and breaking those laws, we will never have enough knowledge to predict God's intentions or His actions.

The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 12:46AM #5
Nitewing

I agree somewhat with stephenway.  In some ways God is predictable for instance we know if we don't accept Jesus we burn.  If we repent and live right we will join him in Heaven.  But in someways he is unpredictable in time frames in answering prayers we know he will answer them in his time but for us we don't know when, he will answer some sooner than others you just don't know when.

God being unpredictable does not matter to me, I love him because of all he does for us, for all he will do for us so it really does not matter to me.  I just pray the rest of the world comes around before it is to late.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 1:54AM #6
Stephenway

God is not at all predictable from a human perspective.  A person see’s the world from a perspective limited by time, space, and experience (both personal experience and acquired experience gained from learning).

From God’s perspective- What is time?  When you have eternity, and a day is as a thousand years, then what he calls a blink of an eye could seem like an eon to us.  Especially when we are anxious or worried and feel as though we need something right now, we may become fearful if an answer is going to appear.  From His perspective, He will be right on time.

What is space?  We see what we see and imagine what is beyond what we see.  From God’s perspective, eye hath not seen nor ear heard what He has prepared above.

Experience?  We know so little.  Many may feel they know so much, but as was said, the more we learn, the more we realize how ignorant we are.  There is no experience that God is not familiar with.  There is absolutely nothing He does not have an answer too.  He knows our end from our beginning, yet He has no beginning or end.

God is perfectly predictable, because He perfectly executes everything in His plan according to His time, His space, and His knowledge.

God is in no way predictable to man, because man does not have the time, space, or experience.

Before I ever acknowledged to my Father that I am totally depraved and wicked, my Father already knew I was going to.  But He patiently waited for me to come to Him.  But to say that He is patient and long-suffering, what is patience and long-suffering to Him?  If an eon to me is a blink of an eye to Him, then how much patience does it take for Him to wait for a blink of the eye?

I am reminded of how some earthly scientists may see the Bible as in error because God is quoted as speaking of the sun rising in the east, when scientists know that the sun does not rise or set, but it’s the earth’s rotation that makes it appear so.  Does God not know what appears to man?  God could say the sun rises in the east because from man’s perspective it appears so.  God can call Himself patient and long-suffering because from Steve Henderson’s perspective a blink of His eye is like an eon of time.

Does not God know that the best way for Him to reach out to His creation is from their perspective.  From my perspective, I could stub my toe, and think how much pain and anguish I’m in.  But since I helped drive the nails in Jesus’ hands and feet, does He not understand my perspective when I stub my toe?

God is the same yesterday, today, tomorrow, and forever.  Today we change.  One day those of us who know Him will no longer have to change, for in a twinkling of an eye, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.  Does it seem like forever waiting for that day?  How long from a human perspective will a twinkling of an eye last?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 7:17AM #7
lulu2

The word "predictable" has several meanings. One is "absoluteness". If something is absolute, it is whole. If it is whole, there are no longer guestions that need answers, for they have already become One.

So questions in themselves, are the product of the minds of men, inspired by their need to know what many see as unknowable. If God was unknowable...why bother? Another word for "predictable" is certainty. I believe Christ has given men the certainty, and assureance they need, as well as the life lessons that would align them to His Father. 

I believe He can only be understood, in the proper context ...When I speak of God, I speak from my experience, in Christ. For He too lived as a man. When we ask a question, we are asking as a human being seeking answers of the divine. That's why Christ, is the ANSWER.  Our consciousness, is human seeking answers that are eternal. Therefore , our answers need to be understood, not from our human understanding alone. We need to relate to Christ! Christ saw the Sun rise in the East. He too had to use what He saw as a man, to explain what He understood, as the Eternal  truths.

Are you predictable? Are you certain about in WHOM YOU BELEIVE? If you are truly seeking answers...than what I would suggest, is to learn more about the Character Christ had living within and without Him. For He is the only true answer to all mens questions.       

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 11:52AM #8
No_Chance_Without_Jesus

Mar 22, 2011 -- 5:14PM, Pastorsrus wrote:

Scripture says that God is the same today, yesterday and forever.  Does that mean He is predictable?  Does He always do the same things the same way? Would it change your relationship with Him if you found out He is not predictable?  If so, how?

Ah I have found you  ;o)

The two unchangeable, non-negotiable properties of God, in relation to how He responds to us and how he asks us to respond....is love and fellowship.

While there are many differing ways God may approach us, the reason is always love, and the goal is always a right fellowship.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 12:14PM #9
Pastorsrus

No Chance Without Jesus,

Glad you did find me, friend!  You know me well enough to know that I agree wholeheartedly with what you shared.  Thanks for your input.

Hugs,

Pastor S

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 5:48PM #10
Iwantamotto

Pastorsrus:  Scripture says that God is the same today, yesterday and forever.  Does that mean He is predictable?  Does He always do the same things the same way? Would it change your relationship with Him if you found out He is not predictable?  If so, how?

My impression, based on personal experience with my relationship with God, is that He's perfectly predictable ... at being unpredictable, LOL.  :)

I consider God to be rather practical.  It's not that He will always do the exact same thing the exact same way, but He will do whatever works.

In THAT sense, I consider Him predictable.

Stephenway:  Can't think of anything that needs changing.

YOUR definition of perfection demands no change.  What if GOD'S demands change?  After all, what is the purpose of getting us to repent (change) if change is bad?

I am reminded of how some earthly scientists may see the Bible as in error because God is quoted as speaking of the sun rising in the east, when scientists know that the sun does not rise or set, but it’s the earth’s rotation that makes it appear so.

The scientists like to say such things because they know some person sitting around somewhere honestly thinks it's a science book.  For the majority of the people who don't, it's really not an issue, because we know what figures of speech and human observations are.

lulu2:  Are you predictable?

I am predictably unpredictable, except when I want to be predictable, which was unpredictable, right?

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook