Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Change churches? Why, and how to know if you should
3 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2011 - 9:16PM #11
tawonda

I know people who can successfully juggle dual churches -- one as a home base and one that they attend occasionally for other reasons, whether programming or music or whatever.

One of my old lay-ministry-training friends had a home church where he had a lot of leadership responsibilities and a congregation near his cottage "up north" (about 30 miles north of his home base) that he enjoyed attending at times (whether or not he and his family were actually at the cottage that weekend) because he could just relax and worship without the stress of dealing with church business.

Or -- attend weeknight programming at one church while maintaining primary membership at another church. For instance, many of our church quilters aren't actually members of our church; they just like our quilting group.

I personally don't have the energy for two churches, but back in my 20's I did.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2011 - 4:46PM #12
Bezant

Which church will better develop your spiritual needs in the short term?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2011 - 12:51AM #13
Jenandew7

Mar 14, 2011 -- 12:14PM, Ironhold wrote:

Mar 14, 2011 -- 3:56AM, Theo wrote:

Iron - that was a miserable post and it was totally uncalled for. Are you having a bad day or something?

~ Theophilus

That was supposed to have been a joke.

Or did the smiley not show up?

I found it amusing!  :))

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2011 - 4:33AM #14
shulamitewm

Hi all,

Some years ago I began to rethink the way we do church, and why we are there.

In my experience, we were mostly there for the entertainment and in our community it also meant social status.

We had lots of widows and fatherless and sick and poor, but we did nothing to help them.

Our deacons didn't deke, and whatever money was collected mostly went for tablecloths for our fall suppers and that kind of thing.

The purpose of meeting together is to get together in Gods name and go out into the community to show Gods love in meaningful ways, but we are like farmers who go to the barn and start up the tractor and talk about the glory of farming, but never actually go outside and plow...

I left the church and just started doing the things that God laid on my heart, and he sure  enough has brought people into my life who needed love.  Now some of them are believers and they share in the work.

Love to all,

Shul

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2011 - 6:39AM #15
jesusfreakgal

Re: Post 12. I am not sure. I am leaning towards the 'new/other' one, but if it is only short term, wouldn't that only be a temporary good thing? I want to experience long term spiritual growth!

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2011 - 2:45PM #16
rideronthastorm

Personally i have lately been attending service on a virtual reality sight, Koinonia Congregational church open and accepting but definitly Christian. Im also attending my same UU church, Im open to Christianity in the idea of the personhood of Jesus who he is and if he is deity, Im trying to open my heart however I have to say this when I come to changing churches.Even if I decide to become mor etraditional in my thinking about Jesus and God and I still goijng to my UU church because personally I believe changing churches is just a ifx, a magical cure. This is one of my biggest problems with Christainity and Christians , i see it too much they get unhappy with one church, and I use to be this way in the Pentecostal churches, get unhappy with one place then respond to another alter call get the Holy Ghost start over ina  new church get on an emotional rollercoaster high with the excitement of a new church and then when I realize a new church isnt gonna make me happy or offer any quick fixes move onto another church after of course getting on a low low, after crashing down to reality.

To me Christians seem to look to the church too much to cure their problems. If I decide to go with Christianity, and I am studying Christianity right now through 2nd Life attending classes there. If I decide its right for me, then its only because my God has revealed Jesus to me, but still no such thing to me as me being lost then getting saved. Theres no becoming alright and getting a magical high with magical cures all of a sudden to get rid of my problems from getting into the right church. There is no such thing as that,theres no magical cures, to me if My God reveals the deity of Jesus to me it just means Jesus is in me and has already saved me and Im a child of God . I can look to the Jesus thats inside of me the inner Jesus to solve my problems which means looking inside of me, I have to do the work to change. I have to change myself.Theres no right church to join, to me Christians change too often, they church hop,its like the high of a drug to a drug addict who is looking for the highest high to get on . the enxt high will cure everything, its chasing a rainbow that doesnt exist.Church can be used to escape with too, its definitly a high..............................Ive been criticized alot at Beliefnet for changing religions but I have to say at leaste Ive stayed with the same UU church for years, thats why Im not changing, Im sure tehre are Christians who in my family might like to see me change from my Uu church to a Christian chruch instead, as Is aid I am attending on virtual reality a Christian church, but im not leaving UU, Ive been there for years Im stablelized there.Changing churches would only destabilize me and make me start chasing magical cures again, a road I dont want to go down nope.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2011 - 8:00PM #17
rideronthastorm

however I am attending church now along with UU in vertual reality, at a congregational church taking classes. Id like to learn more about the trinity and Godhead before I make up my mind about anything.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2011 - 8:39PM #18
Beautiful_Dreamer

Iron - that was a miserable post and it was totally uncalled for. Are you having a bad day or something?

~ Theophilus

No, it did not. It almost sounded as though you were angry or chiding JFG for asking. I'm glad I was wrong.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2011 - 12:35AM #19
rideronthastorm

i guess iw as pretty negative too I shouldve just stayed out of it.Its just MY EXPERIENCE tahts all but maybe your experience wiht changing churches is more positive, I mean if it makes you happy you think God wants you there do it. But just dont use it as an escape from the  situation your in now is all Im saying...........as long as your happy with your relationship with jesus its ok.

I question it more when the person who changes churches answers the call to an alter calll everytime they switch Like i use to, thats when you know your just using it as an escape or a magical cure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 12:59PM #20
Xapisma

~ Theophilus

Well, Iron, *I* thought it was funny. But then I am sick and twisted like that. It's all part of my charisma.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook