Switch to Forum Live View What does Christmas mean to you?
4 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2010 - 6:05PM #1
Aussiesoul

Its Christmas time again and it is so easy to get caught up in the busyness and stress of Christmas preparations. At times it seems we are more often complaining about the approach of an event that as children we anticipated with great excitment. Here in Australia we, unlike those of you who live in the Northern Hemisphere celebrate Christmas in the height of summer and as such have developed some different traditions. Church services and carols events are often held outdoors, we often go to the beach and the traditional Christmas lunch, while made up of traditional fare is often served cold. Christmas brings with it as the birth of any child the hope that life can begin anew, that the world could be better than it is. Please share with me what Christmas means to you . This could be your spiritual beliefs about it or traditions that you treasure. I wish all regulars on this board a very Happy Christmas.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2010 - 3:19PM #2
Stardove

Christmas for me is a reminder to celebrate the birth of Christ within my own being everyday, not just one time a year.  It is a time for family and friends to gather and for me to be with those I love the most on the planet. 

As a family we gathered last night for our annual Christmas sing-a-long.  I am blessed with a talented family and we are not shy.  One of my daughter put together a DVD of Christmas past.  I laughed so hard my side ached!

On Christmas day the family will gather again to give thanks for another year together and celebrate the birth of the babe who became the Way Shower for each of us. We will eat too much and our bellies will be full.  After our evening meal we will play games.  We are a family of game players.  We will laugh with each other and give hugs and kisses. 

I am so blessed to be alive!  Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!!!

Your host @ Progressive Christians, Stardove

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2010 - 5:41PM #3
Iwantamotto

When I was a kid, it meant, usually, a trip to either Mom's side of the family or my father's side of the family.  If the latter, it was combined with birthday parties as my paternal grandmother and I were born on Christmas Eve.  There was sometimes church stuff, but usually it involved listening about Baby Jesus and watching Rankin and Bass shows.

Nowadays, though, as my family started to grow up past the child-rearing stage, and since my brother, cousin, and I don't have kids of our own, we don't really do the whole celebration thing, especially after my maternal Grandmother died in December.  This year, it's pretty much just a workday.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2010 - 6:14PM #4
Bob_Bennett

It is  day set aside to remember the birth of Jesus, which probably happened in 7 B.C. (He was ahead of his time).  The Church decided to make it Dec 25 so as to compete with the pagan feasts of Saturnalia and Sol Invictus. 

The Urantia Book claims he was born on Aug. 21, which just incidentally would have made his natal Sun to be conjunct the star  Regulus, the King star.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2011 - 4:29PM #5
Stardove

This is the family Sing-A-Long before Christmas. The night we watched the DVD of Christmas past. Yes, us girls wear PJs.  One has to have the link to see this private video. In Joy ~ enjoy. 

Happy New Year!!!!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2011 - 5:59PM #6
Aussiesoul

Stardove- thanks for the dvd -I loved it thanks for sharing that with me

Iwantamotto -I was born 2 days after Christmas so I know about birthday celebrations being combined with Christmas. I was sorry to read of the death of your grandmother. In 2005 I lost both my mother's parents in the same year so that first Christmas is tough without them.

Bob- I agree with your statement that JC was ahead of his time. I knew about the reason behind December 25 but did not know about August 21.

A Happy New Year to you all.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook