4 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2010 - 1:36PM #1
angeljenny

Hi Everyone, 

I took the belief quiz as I am a little unsure of what I believe. I am a Christian and I believe in God but I don't know which denomination I fit into. I apologise if I sound daft as I haven't been brought up as religious at all and my family aren't religious. 

My results were:

Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (100%)

Eastern Orthodox (93%)

Roman Catholic (93%)

Orthodox Quaker (89%)

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints   (Mormons) (86%)

Seventh Day Adventist (85%)

Jehovah's Witness (77%)

Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (68%)

Orthodox Judaism (67%)

Hinduism (66%)

Islam (58%)

Sikhism (48%)

Jainism (47%)

Liberal Quakers (46%)

Baha'i Faith (41%)

Mahayana Buddhism (41%)

Theravada Buddhism (39%)

Unitarian Universalism (39%)

Reform Judaism (33%)

Neo-Pagan (26%)

Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (20%)

New Age (19%)

Scientology (16%)

Secular Humanism (16%)

Taoism (16%)

New Thought (16%)

Nontheist (15%)

I don't know which Christian denominations are the conservative ones. I do have quite old fashioned ideas! I am not really clear on how you become part of a religion if you aren't born into it. 

Any advice welcome!

Jen

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2010 - 11:47PM #2
Anesis

Hi, Jen, and welcome!

Since you are mainline/conservative/protestant, you have a lot of denominations to choose from, including Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, Mennonite Brethren, Alliance, and others. The best thing you can do is find out the statements of faith from each denomination before you choose a church or denomination to affiliate with. There are also a lot of non-denominational churches that are protestant. Do you currently have a church you attend?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2010 - 12:25AM #3
miami-ted

Hi Jen,

Welcome.  Over here on the evangelical boards we measure things a little differently than the general poll.  Here we like to know what you believe about Jesus and God's word.  On all of the various denominational and systematic christianity boards you will usually find a sticky somewhere that explains what 'kind' of believers make up the members of that board.  God bless you and I hope that you'll stick around for a bit.

In Christ, Ted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2010 - 2:21AM #4
angeljenny

I don't currently attend a church. There are 3 churches in the town where I live, Methodist, Catholic and C of E. 

I am not 100% clear on what I believe. It has only been in the last few months that I have actually accepted that I believe in God as I was trying my hardest to deny it. I think due to the fear of being ridiculed as it doesn't seem normal to have faith or to talk about it. 

I believe in God, Jesus and the Bible. God's Word is kind of the final say and if a person needs guidance they will find it in the Bible.

I was Christened a Methodist when I was a baby but that was the extent of my religious life. 

Jen

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2010 - 8:34AM #5
miami-ted

Hi Jen,

While what you have  exposed about yourself wouldn't necessarily qualify you as an evangelical, I'm glad that you are here and I think all of us on the evangelical boards would treasure the opportunity to share with you our own testimonies and, if you choose to seek to be born again, help you in your spiritual growth and maturity.

One thing I can promise you, as a born again believer, is that the promises of God, for those who trust and believe in Him, bring the greatest joy and comfort to His children.  There is nothing that this world can offer you that will ever be able to match His matchless love and mercy.

God bless you and we, I'm sure I speak for everyone on this board, look forward to hearing from you again.

In Christ, Ted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 3:15PM #6
angeljenny

Thank you. It is lovely that people are so welcoming. 

This probably makes me sound silly but I don't understand how you know what sort of Christian you are and what you actually believe if you don't know what the options are. Such as there are Catholic beliefs and Methodist beliefs but do you try each sort to find the one you believe or are you supposed to be called towards the right one?

Reading that back I don't think it makes sense! I am really not explaining myself very well. 

Jen

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 7:38PM #7
Anesis

I wonder if we could consider this the other way. Rather than think about your own beliefs and what denomination or faith persuasion fits them, why not determine which is the one that fits accurately with scripture? I say this because rather than make scripture fit what we say, we need to fit our beliefs to what scripture says. Most EC churches have nearly identical statements of faith, so then the choice of church to attend becomes one of personal choice rather than which is doctrinally correct. For example, some non-denomination churches have more "liberated" styles of worship than some of the more conservative denominations like Free Methodist.

A statement of faith should reflect some of your answers to the questions in the Beliefnet quiz. It should talk about God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. It should say something to the effect that the Bible is the infallible word of God and the final authority in the life of a believer, that man was separated from God through sin and that we are reconciled to God only by grace through faith in Jesus and his payment on the cross as atonement. It should also reflect the truth that the Spirit indwells all believers, and transforms us into the likeness of Christ so we can be witnesses for him and use the gifts given us to build up the body of believers and share the Gospel.

It should talk about other things, too, like the need for obedience in baptism and Christ's inevitable return. I don't particularly think those are essential for salvation, so to me, those are secondary, but it will be good for you to find a church whose statement of faith reflects scripture. If you find conflicting information between a couple of statements of faith, you can post and ask about it here, or you can search the Bible for what it says about the topic (that is always best, but discussion with other believers is good too).

I'm sure others will have wise advice and other things to consider as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook