Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
4 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2010 - 1:27PM #1
Bob10

Titus 2:11-12
 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,  instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age.

The righteous are opposite of the wicked(lawless) --
www.biblestudytools.com/psalms/passage.a...

Ezekiel 18 gives numerous examples of practicing  righteousness, one of which is feeding the hungry and clothing the naked. This sounds very much like Jesus in Matthew 25.

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Eze...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2010 - 10:23AM #2
Bob10

Jesus' parable of the drag net ---

Jesus: "This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous"  Matt. 13:49, NIV.

“But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die. - Ez. 18:21.

if the wicked restores the pledge, gives back what he has stolen, and walks in the statutes of life without committing iniquity, he shall surely live; he shall not die. -Ez. 33:15

Jesus: "He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." - Jn 3:36, NASB.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 3:33PM #3
Xapisma

Is there a point here, or are we just quoting scriptures?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2010 - 3:57PM #4
tawonda

"By grace are you saved, through faith; and not by works, lest any should boast."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2010 - 10:16AM #5
Bob10

Hebrews 1:13-14 (New International Version)

To which of the angels did God ever say, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”? Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

Psalm 103:19-21 (King James Version)   Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word. Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.

Revelation 12:17 (King James Version)

And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2010 - 10:52AM #6
Bob10

HI, Tawonda --- you are absolutely right.

"By faith, Moses kept the Passover" - Hebrews 11:28.

Below is a link for some interesting commentary on this verse ---

People's New Testament
11:28 Through faith he kept the passover. See Ex 12:3-30. He kept it because God commanded, and he believed all God promised.

John 14:15 - "If you love Me, keep My Commandments" - Jesus said this about 18 hours before his death. An odd thing to say, if the statement was going to be voided out days later by his resurrection. But of course we know that the Holy Spirt was to keep us in remembrance of all he said.

John 14:23, NIV  Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

Matt. 19:17, NIV  “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

Jehovah became Jesus in the flesh (Jn 1:3). He is still telling us to "choose life" - Dt. 30:19www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deu...

bible.cc/hebrews/11-28.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2010 - 10:56AM #7
Bob10

follow after righteousness -- Isa. 51:1;  1Tim. 6:11;  2Tim. 2:22

Isa. 51:6 -- but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

Isa. 51:7 -- Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law;

Isa. 45:19 --->  Psalm 18:9 --->  Neh. 9:13

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2010 - 5:39PM #8
Issabhandhu12

Dec 24, 2010 -- 10:52AM, Bob10 wrote:

John 14:15 - "If you love Me, keep My Commandments"

Hi there Bob10,

The context of your quote above is 'encouragement of His Disciples.'

Reading the complete context, Jesus is not making religious rules.  He is encouraging His disciples to stay in the game, not to loose heart, & have confidence in the Son and the Father.

8 Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.”
9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?        …..

11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

Bob, I do not dispute your philosophical view here, I question the efficiency of your scriptural selections.  ‘To demonstrate the importance of commandments and our following them’, I feel you need to find those statements in context.

Many of your Old Testament quotes seem stronger in supporting your presentation. Smile          But here, in John,… this is a pep-talk to the guys.  These men were already sold on Jesus’ teachings; He is encouraging here, not declaring Salvationary Philosophy to the lost.

I will give an example regarding context;      Many people like the Lord’s Prayer.   Popularly, most people put this prayer from the gospel with everything else Jesus said.  That is, Jesus preached “Blessed are the poor…etc.” from the Mount of Olives.  This was His own sermon and we can understand the context… He is sitting, preaching.

Many people put ‘The Lord’s Prayer’ into this type of context.  But the proper context of the Lord’s prayer is this:  John the Baptist’s followers were taught a prayer by John.  When John was killed, his followers went to Jesus.  At one point, during a get together, John’s followers told Jesus that John had given a sample prayer to them as an aid in addressing the Father.  They asked Jesus, would He do the same?. So, Jesus created this prayer at the request of His new followers.  This is a much different context within which to hear the Lord’s Prayer.

When I hear ‘Blessed are the poor…’ , I think… Declaration of Christ, philosophy, perspective given by God.

When I speak the Lord ’s Prayer, , I think… ‘I know I am reciting some personal worship technique given by Jesus at the request of people like me…believers’.

So, apples and oranges.  Context is everything. Partial quotes and lists of partials or the simple appearance of a sound bite that happens to be in another book, does not create enough foundation to support anyone’s philosophical view. 

Best wishes,  Issa.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2010 - 10:45AM #9
Bob10

Ephesians 2:8 - For by grace are you saved through faith....

In the great portrait gallery in Hebrew 11, the writer of Hebrews sees that Faith has always been a characteristic of the people of God.

"without faith, it is impossible to please God" -- Hebrews 11:6.

Unfortunately, this is the state of the faithless carnal minded: they can not please God (Rom. 8:8). They hate God; they don't submit to the law of God (Rom. 8:7) - they have no faithfulness (Dt. 32:20, NRSV, NASB) to their Rock.

But we are the opposite of these people: we are spiritually minded (Rom. 8:6), our hearts are circumcised (Rom. 2:29) to walk humbly with God (Micah 6:8).

Jesus condemned sin in the flesh (Rom. 8:3) so that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the spirit (Rom. 8:4).

If those who walk according to the flesh confess their unfaithfulness against the LORD, and if their uncircumcised hearts (Rom. 2:29) be humbled and they make amends for their iniquity, because they rejected My judgements and statutes, then I will not reject them (Lev. 26:40-44, NASB).

"God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God...." (1Peter 5:5-6) --- humble submission to God as the Lord girded Himself with a towel to perform a servile office of humility and love, washing His disciples' feet, a scene in which Peter had played an important part.

"Humility is the vessel of all graces" [Augustine]

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2011 - 3:40PM #10
Bob10

Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit (Rom. 8:4) should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.  - Galatians 6:1, NIV

My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth (Ps. 119:142,151) and someone should bring that person back,  remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.  - James 5:19-20, NIV

All who obey his commandments abide in him, and he abides in them....   -- 1Jn 3:24, NRSV

If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.  - Jn 15:6, NKJV

save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.  - Jude 23-24, NIV

“I overthrew some of you
   as I overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
You were like a burning stick snatched from the fire,
   yet you have not returned to me" (Dt. 30:2, 16 / 1Pet. 2:25)
            declares the LORD.   - Amos 4:11, NIV

If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored:
   If you remove wickedness far from your tent   - Job 22:23, NIV

then the Almighty will be your gold,
   the choicest silver for you. 
Surely then you will find delight in the Almighty (1Jn 3:24)
   and will lift up your face to God.   - Job 22:25-26, NIV

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook