Switch to Forum Live View Writing About Spirituality in the South
4 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 2:39PM #1
bar0982

Below is a link to my latest article on Elephant Journal... It talks   about the differences between the alternative cultures on the East &   West coast and middle America, particularly in the south, and how all   of this relates to spreading the message of contemplative spirituality   in America without falling victim to the influences of New-Age trends. In stead of posting the article here I give the link, but would love to hear what everyone think about this idea...

www.elephantjournal.com/2010/10/why-i-wa...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2010 - 3:35PM #2
mytmouse57

I like what's being said here. I think that the potential for a contemplative, mystical, emperical spiritual experience is there at the core of all religions. Instead of nit-picking on the outward forms and playing and endless game of "mine is better than yours" (trying to say Buddhism is "of the Devil" on one hand, or endlessly bitching about how bad Christianity is on the other), I think each can travel to the deep core of his or her religion (or whatever spiritual path -- or lack thereof -- they have) and find that contemplative, mystical spiritutuality based less on doctrine and dogma and more on vital, living emperical experience and discovery.

And that, in turn, could lead to a societal raising of conciousness, and thus, a lowering of the divisivness and hostility that seems to trouble us.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 1:59AM #3
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook